Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ausfish Barra Diary

Re: Ausfish Barra Diary

Thank you for the contributions guys, I'll have to get down to Awoonga one of these days.

I have a diary entry from our trip to Teemburra on Oct 29 that I thought I would contribute, it was my first attempt at catching impoundment barra.

OK: At 8am caught a sooty, slow-rolling an Outlaw Spinnerbait past a point. Nothing more until 5pm, at the end of a long arm full of submerged trees where Dave got a small barra on a B52. The water there was warmer (around 27 degrees), and there was lots of bait activity. Depth about 2m.

Fished the same place in the morning for nil result.

In the evening we joined a couple of my mates to fish some newly-flooded ground they had found. Lots of small structure, twigs etc., warmer water, up to 1m deep. We got nothing there, although mate Kampey got 2 decent ones on fly.

Went back to the same spot the next morning at 5am. Got nothing until around 7am, when Dave got a smallish barra close to the shore. We got a couple more over the next hour and a half. Only diving minnows caught fish. My Tango Dancer got a lone swirl and that was it.

Went to our arm in the afternoon and it delivered a couple more fish to 75cm on Barra Classics, between 5-6:30pm. Had to keep changing lures to find what worked.

For the rest of our stay, the only fish we got were from that newly-flooded ground (from 7-8:30am), and at the end of our arm (from 5:30-6:30pm). No big fish and no big numbers, and we had to keep changing minnows to find what they liked. Surface lures and plastics didn't work, although Dave scored one on a gold fly.

Not a great result, but other people at the ramp were reporting donuts so I guess we did OK. When we hear that the dam is firing we'll head straight back down!

Quote Originally Posted by 2manylures View Post
    If you read this thread properly & check the actual data imput to the B/S posted and refer to my original post in this thread & THEN read comments posted in relation to my 1st then it should be apparrent.

Further comments in response & retaliation accentuate my last remarks.

I'm not trying to purposely offend & my original post wasn't offensive yet true.

It wasn't until the 7th post before actual data was offered, being the crux of the thread.

Then only three decent reports giving appropriate details were given out of 23 posts.

If this isn't B/S in the true meaning of my riginal post then I would like to know what is.

I merely commented on a comment I had made in the past & was subsequently attacked for such.

Am I not entitled to an opinion on what I've actually said previously & then to defend myself against remarks made?
    seems to me you have a issue as you have posted a simalar comment in the bass dairy section mate. whats the deal all us fellows are doing is discussing what or may if anything triggered our catch and then we get mr negative to try and stirr the pot if you have nothing postive to say dont say it in this dairy It wasnt created to bag people it was to have a bit of a source of info for new anglers to read and give then a little idea on what has work for others so if its not detailed enough for then we are all sorry but we not profeesional and never intend on being just sharing a common interest in the joys of anglering

What can I say there's always one lads

Anyhow why this threads here....

Monduran. 8th to the 23rd

Fishing was hard at first a current running at around 2 knotts up the Kolan towards the dam. I fished the eddying water for a couple of connection and nil in the boat ( 2 Mile) H was tough 1 fish and one conection as time went on the Fishing got much better Water temps steadyed out finally with a week of flucuating temp 25s to 27's. So week 1 for 1 fish a couple jumped of one to the side of the boat in Jacks Bay only to roll and dislodge the hooks.

Week 2 the temps stayed steady the current up the dam continued and weed bunches gathered in the basin Gates were open below the dam aswell.... this week the fish fired up too I boated 5 fish ranging 90's to 123cm from 1 flicking at 122cnm in wiggle bay and a few trolling the basin the fish were in good nick bar 1 the 122cm fish was lean but swam away with haste. By the friday the water was boiling hot fish all over the main body of water and in the deeper stretches of creek with at least 50 fish trolled in the main basin water temps were firm at 30 degrees.

Lure choise well it diddni't matter just fish shallow running lure fished slow, Colour was not a issue with many fish caught on every colour there is I fished a classic barra bleeding mullet with a fluro yellow belly 10+ but fished real slow so it stayed hight up in the water.

If temp stay level it should continue to fire over the next few days... Good luck

Nath

Got back yesterday from a very quick 3 day run to Mondy.
    Fished from 1.30 till 8 Friday morning, and couldnt get a fish until just before sunrise when we got 8 hits and 2 fish, in the timber, tied up to a tree. Found the bait was there and the air temps were high. Next morning was cuppla degrees cooler and the fish and bait were scarce. NO fish or hits, moved to the windward weed side and got the 111 on a B52. Alot of fish were caught over weed banks or casting among the weedy edge. Is this because the fish are there or is it because people are now concerntrating their efforts there because the water level has risen in the last 12 months and the weed is everywhere. Didnt see as many peole fishng the sticks as i used to, but plenty fishn the weedy edges...Awoonga style. Water temps were 29-30 degrees, until my brand new 1800 buck sounder decided to blow a gasket.....Looks like i am in for some fun with the dealer before the next trip!!!!!! Used it for maybe 10 hrs-$180 per hour.....Great value!!!!!!!!!
    Cheers
    Ben
    Ben

Fished Monduran from fri arvo 5/12/08 to Mon morning 8/12/08. Very hot, only fished early morn and arvo sessions. Late storm on Sunday preceeded a cooling SE change.
    Water temps at 30+, water colour a little better then 3 weeks ago, maybe the algae is settling down?
    Fished the sticks and the weed points, for fish ranging from 78 to 120, on SP,s B52's and Classics.
    There seemed to be a pronounced early morn bite till around 8am, then shut down, just to bloody hot for us and the fish.
    Had a very good bite period in the middle of an electrical storm and down pour on Sunday arvo fishing shallow points.

Tinaroo Dam 13/12/2008 - FIRST POST

Hit the water at 3.30pm and first decided to check out water temps around the dam (29.5 - 31.7). Flicked hard body lures until sun set for not even a sniff in the warm water. (two fisherman on board, my mate and I).

Brief History; Ihave fished tinaroo about 20 times and only started catching barra the last 6 or 7 times. One big part was the introduction of an electric motor for extra slow and quiet trolling, but my PB is only 52cms. Anyway back to the fishing...

The Rise of the FULL MOON and out come the buggs, what ever light was on was covered. Never seen or heard anything like it, buggs covered the water and the sound that come from nearby trees was incredable. We got to the south side of the dam and away from the bugs.
    So we decieded to do a troll alone the bank for no results and by this stage we started to question our fishing abilities, as you do when your flicking lures for 5 hours straight.
    As we trolled we noticed a flicker of bait near the bank then followed by a small boof so we pulled up and flicked away. After about 4 flicks my mate was on and with a few jumps and passes under the boat we boated a 75cm for a quick pic and a healthy realise .
    The bait was still flicking and after tow flicks my mate was on again to a 72cm angry fish, boated pics and a healthy realise tinnies all round.
    The bait disappeared so I decided to move down the bank with lures still in the water and it was my turn with a nice hit and great jumps and head shacks into the moon light, awsume sight. 85cm and a PB at that, quick pics and a healthy realise ...

Then things went quiet again and the bait flicking had stopped so we decided to give it a slow troll back to the ramp my mate got another one at 70cms to cap off a great night....

Things learnt; find the bait and you find the fish and keep lure moving but very very slow retrieve.. And electric motor way to go.........

A trip to Monduran over the weekend 14/15th with the full moon, saw two fish caught by my brother, nearly 24hrs apart during the "moon below" time frame. Caught on hollowbellys casting to weeded edges of shallow bays.
    simon

The ocean is the ultimate solution - Frank Zappa

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/slyman71/

I'd just like to say that this diary is a good idea.

On a trip up to Awoonga Dick, Locky and i were out in a E/SE wind up around 15 knotties in the late arvo. We were on the electric working a windward flat with weed bommies and a few sporadic laydowns and vetical timbers.

For a couple of hours we just had casting practise.

Thinking: Why we wondered?
    With the waves pushing our borrowed boat quickly over areas it was hard work to knuckle down and really work the fishing area. This is the reason we came up with so we got out of the wind a little and anchored up as we didnt have a heavy duty anchor.

Once this was done we had interest about every 20 minutes or so. Note we had 3 people on board casting. Yet around the corner was Scotty who managed 4 fish in the arvo period, all over a metre. Interesting i wonder if he was anchored or drifting? Either way he did well and showed what was possible, something always good to think about if on a learning trip.

Thinking & Observation: I actually think we could have caught fish in the wind but we just didn't work the areas well enough. Just some thoughts i thought i'd share as this area had a weed edge, bommies to work between and timber.

It was only until we had some serenity out of the main basin that we settled into our work and relaxed then really slowed down the retrieve. Lochy was the first to get a couple of taps/strikes, then nailed a nice barra.

After learning from his success we then started to gain interest with Dick hooking a nice fish i then lost at the boat. Dick used a hardbody slowly a laser pro with pauses. Locky was using a 4 inch berkley mullet very slow. I went on to nail a nice fish after slowing down to a pause on a storm. e.g., wait, wait, move, wiggle, wait wait wait routine. Only then i started getting hits..

Dick had another bite.
    Locky some taps and a missed strike.
    I had a missed fish, and i noted that i was hitting laydown timber and spent half my time at the end of the night re-rigging, but i got the bites once i slowed down so i took this trade off.

Thinking & Observation: We didn't get a single bit of interest with fishing gearbox speeds of 2 and 3. First gear in traffic, e.g. stop start had about 7-8 positive connectiong going for it on the day.

I hope this helps someone out one day.
    Cheers Lyndon.

Thumbs up Re: Ausfish Barra Diary

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingBarradise View Post
    I'd just like to say that this diary is a good idea.

Thinking: Why we wondered?
    With the waves pushing our borrowed boat quickly over areas it was hard work to knuckle down and really work the fishing area. This is the reason we came up with so we got out of the wind a little and anchored up as we didnt have a heavy duty anchor.

Once this was done we had interest about every 20 minutes or so. Note we had 3 people on board casting. Yet around the corner was Scotty who managed 4 fish in the arvo period, all over a metre. Interesting i wonder if he was anchored or drifting? Either way he did well and showed what was possible, something always good to think about if on a learning trip.

Thinking & Observation: I actually think we could have caught fish in the wind but we just didn't work the areas well enough. Just some thoughts i thought i'd share as this area had a weed edge, bommies to work between and timber.

It was only until we had some serenity out of the main basin that we settled into our work and relaxed then really slowed down the retrieve. Lochy was the first to get a couple of taps/strikes, then nailed a nice barra.

Thinking & Observation: We didn't get a single bit of interest with fishing gearbox speeds of 2 and 3. First gear in traffic, e.g. stop start had about 7-8 positive connectiong going for it on the day.

I hope this helps someone out one day.
    Cheers Lyndon.

So Lyndon, do you think if you could have held steady at the windy point you would have caught fish? i.e. were the fish there, more so than the more sheltered place?

My question being, do you think the windy point was a better option if you could have held you position, (had a tie off or what ever) or was the more sheltered place just as good for fish. Obviously the shelter was more comfortable for the fishers but was it as attractive to the fish.

My thinking is that you indicate you not only changed you position but also your tactics i.e. settled down the retrieve. Was it the location or slower retrieve that improved the catch ? or a bit of both. I gather you believe the slower retrieve may have been the trigger but difficult to say having changed locations?

It is good to have a post purely for the exchange of ideas on actual excursions and the results of applied tactics.

Thanks Nath

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Yes mate i thought of exactly what you pointed out when writing.

We moved about 100m to the right, still in wind but not as bad,still had current running in, waves slapping the boat. In fact the wind got up to about 20 knots in gusts around 7.30pm.

We had trouble with the anchor so ended up tying the boat up at 2 points to some trees which held us.

Fish seemed to be in the area, even the original one we left as Dick hooked one there the next day with slow, slow work.

To answer your question directly. I think in the original flats area that one good slow cast wouldn't have been as successful as 3 people working an area (tied off) for a bite every 20 minutes. We still had to do a lot of good retrieves with 3 on a boat to gain some interest in each half hour period.

I'd take the option of many good casts in one area.

That's fishing, hard to collect hard data at times. The second successful area 100m to the right could very well have been better, that's why a few boats in the area (mates) to collect info is always a real winner. (which we have done in the past)

A good point out of all this is that traditionally under electric power is how a lot of people worked bass over the years, some 100%, however it hasn't alwasy guaranteed success on barra. My point is that if you refused to anchor or tie off on this day we fished, you would have poorly worked the areas, but if we went back to the ramp and said " No fish they are not biting today" we would have been wrong as our failure to work areas well enough would have been the weak link. Does this make sense?

Strategy, Anchor, Drift, Electric: One cast every 10m or hundreds?
    Interesting to think about the lack of transfer at times in certain situations. It's funny but it took some locals on a few dams, and a couple of guides that a few thousand people got to see and hear about thier good fish catching results to make anchoring the New Black (fashion) of the season which peaked when i saw a speedboat anchored on AFC.

Some people i met in the general fishing public couldn't believe these great new boats were anchored and couldn't work out why... Funny stuff. I bet a few old fellas in 12 foot tinnies with 6hp on the back said to their wives as the nomads motored out on Awoonga "See love those fellas are copying us as we always anchor up, i bet they are throwing out pilchards for barra too".
    It's good to learn &U have a laugh on the net now and then isn't it?

Thanks for the questions Daryl.
    Cheers Lyndon.

This bay has produced more fish than any other during the past two months...Why ?Food l think is the reason..because it can be the coldest water in the dam and you can still catch fish there...Alas as the tide is forever going out it shall not be fishable much longer

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    This bay has produced more fish than any other during the past two months...Why ?Food l think is the reason..because it can be the coldest water in the dam and you can still catch fish there...Alas as the tide is forever going out it shall not be fishable much longer

So Trev, not knowing where you were obviously; why is the bait there? I presume the wind is not blowing in there constantly for two months, or is it? Weed bank there? Deeper water if it is colder than the rest? Why is it so

Interesting

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

The bait are there because of the weed and structure that is in that bay..lots of good places to hide..The wind blows in there ..say 60% of the time

Do you think the run has anything to do with it Trev?

I believe the main reason that area has been so successful over winter is because of the lack of weed. Most other places during winter the weed was thick to the top out to 12 feet but this bay had very little and you could cast a lure into 2 foot of water and retrieve it successfully. also has lay down timber and a lot of smaller sticks under the water.
    cheers scott.