Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best thermos for hot drinks when boating

Re: Best thermos for hot drinks when boating

Thanks all - i filled it last night with boiling after warming first and no signs of heat on the outside which is very good. The lids a bit warm though which is suss. Anyway we will see how it pans out..have kept the receipt for the 5 year warranty!

I just scored an old (60s) english Thermos off ebay for $9.90 in perfect nick so I am keen to give that a try - bet it outperforms the stainless one, but I need to look after it

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Thanks all - i filled it last night with boiling after warming first and no signs of heat on the outside which is very good. The lids a bit warm though which is suss. Anyway we will see how it pans out..have kept the receipt for the 5 year warranty!

I just scored an old (60s) english Thermos off ebay for $9.90 in perfect nick so I am keen to give that a try - bet it outperforms the stainless one, but I need to look after it

Cheers
    mine has lots of heat on the outside......thats bad i gather.
    buggered if i know why it has started to do this

yep its bad mate - the heat is leaching out...I dont know why they lose vacume - could be porosity in the steel or bad weld inside.

cheers

Ok - we have a winner of my little shootout. 20 hours 15 mins after filling and without opening in that time, the new Thermos 1.8 litre stainless steel Target jobbie was...wait for it...62.8degrees C with the thermocouple...too hot to skull it back if it were coffee. So I am guessing that at the 12 hour mark she would have been comfortably up around 75 degrees...love it..hope that lasts.

Cheers

If I'm going to go on a longish trip, I always take the cheapie $20 butane stove with me. I use metal cups in the boat, so can just sit the two of them on the burner for a couple of minutes and they heat up nicely. Still keep the water in the flask, so it's not usually too cold to start with. Works a treat, and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Ok - we have a winner of my little shootout. 20 hours 15 mins after filling and without opening in that time, the new Thermos 1.8 litre stainless steel Target jobbie was...wait for it...62.8degrees C with the thermocouple...too hot to skull it back if it were coffee. So I am guessing that at the 12 hour mark she would have been comfortably up around 75 degrees...love it..hope that lasts.

Cheers
    Thank you for posting a benchmark comparison. I will test our old 1.8L here as I am not completely happy over longer trips.

Can you tell me the temp when poured in Jug or stove top boiled) and whether you preheated also the general ambient temp?

Will see if ours compares to your target one and post.

cheers fnq

Great thread. I was just about to buy a vacuum flask when I happened upon it.

Thanks for the experiment and outcome ozscott!

Regs

Pete

glad to be of some help fellas.

FNQ - I preheating each flask using hot tap water for 10 mins - its too hot to touch, but I dont know exact temp - guessing around 85 degrees or so. Then filled with water that literally was taken off the boil and straight in - kettle filled, boiled and as soon as it clicked off..straight in no wait and lid straight on.

Cheers fellas

Cheers Ozscott,

Just preheated and refilled with jug water at 95deg at 12.50 both a 1.9L Stanley and a 600ml trudeau (dunno some generic wide brimmed brand we use for soup).

Using a multimeter thermocouple type arangement so fairly accurate.

BTW atm the Stanley's outside temperature is 36deg!!! and the other is at 29deg..doesnt' look good for the stanley. Air temp at the moment is 28deg and a guessed general 24hour ambient 22deg.

will update tommorrow

cheers fnq

look forward to the next installment fnq - this thermos I got had no warmth at all on the outside which is pretty impressive. 36 is probably what my large kmart jobbie was doing.

Cheers

My 1.8l Thermos was feeling almost too hot to hold on the outside after preheating with boiling water and then refilling again straight from the jug after boiling. The bloody thing is less than 2 years old. no receipt as it was a gift. time for a new one.
    Interestingly the heat transfer to the outside starts to get hot at the bottom first and then gradually moves up....with the whole thing being a scorcher in about 15 minutes.

Big w has 25% off Stanleys atm, scored the 1.9ltr for $59.95 down from $79.95.
    Happy with that, should last a long time.
    Cheers.

Ok the results in below:

Just preheated and refilled with jug water at 95deg at 12.50 both a 1.9L Stanley and a 600ml trudeau (dunno some generic wide brimmed brand we use for soup).

Using a multimeter thermocouple type arangement so fairly accurate.

BTW atm the Stanley's outside temperature is 36deg!!! and the other is at 29deg..doesnt' look good for the stanley. Air temp at the moment is 28deg and a guessed general 24hour ambient 22deg.

Results,

Stanley Aladdin at 11am, aprox 20hours later, ambient air temp 25deg....it was 32deg and the Trudeau 43deg.

Think I need another thermos!

Ozscott what is the brand of the Target bought one?

cheers fnq

It was a Thermos brand FNQ - Thermos Duravac; Stainless Steel inside and out. I wonder if I have killed off my cheap on by pre-heating with boiling water. With my new one it says that sudden temp change is bad for it and it recommends hot tap water to pre-heat...which I am now doing. I wonder if the sudden heat up with boiling water causes problems with the internal welds and wrecks the vacuum ability.

Cheers

PS. $38 approx FNQ, my missus got it

I did the same test with my 'new' ebay purchased made in England Thermos brand Thermos...must be 40 years old at least. Its steel outer and glass inner - back when the hand blown glass was thick. The precision given when it was made is amazing in fit and finish - eg between glass and steel at the mouth. Ok at 19.5 hours it was 64 degrees neat on the thermocouple and DMM - ie line ball with the new Stainless thermos as tested above. It is only 1.02 litres compared to the new thermos 1.8 so thermal efficiency isnt there compared to the big one...yet still same temp, so perhaps glass is a little better than steel. But it also says that the new SS ones are very very close. I will look after this baby with was about $14 inc postage and a great find in excellent condition. I suspect though that with care it should last well.

Cheers