Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best thermos for hot drinks when boating

Best thermos for hot drinks when boating

Hi all...got a large thermos 1.8litre or so from Kmart a while back..looks sturdy, but even pre-heating at 5.00am with boiling water and then filling 15-20 mins later with boiling water to the brim and screwing lid in...tight and there is no air in there...it still runs out of puff too quickly. A tea on the water at 10.30 am and thats ok - not crazy hot but acceptable. By 11.30 its not hot enough to do the tea...its warm! NOT GOOD!

Ok,, do I need to go a good name brand like Aladin etc ...I like steel casings but wll I get good thermal life if the insides are all steel aswell or do I really need a glass inside to get the heat retention?

Cheers

Re: Best thermos for hot drinks when boating

Best to get one that uses vacuum insulation and has the inner outer silvered. My folks got those airpots that you push the top down and they seem to hold the heat well.

The glass ones are better i think.

http://www.alittleluxury.com.au/prod...utm_medium=cpc
    Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

I believe you have a 'Thermal' or Vacuum Flask not a Thermos as that is a brand name like Aladin, if you buy a Name Brand you will get what you pay for .

Yep - its a bit like calling an ice bin an Esky....I dont have a Thermos just a cheaper copy - Vacume Flask.

Cheers

I use an Arcosteel one.
    Pre heat it and it lasts most of the day.

The best ones are the ones with the glass inner but dont drop them or you will get more in ya cuppa than what ya bargained for.

We use and old air-pot and it is great doesnt last forever but hot enuff for a overnighter out on the water

cheers Bob

I have a stainless one from mitre 10, it's good for about 4 hours before its starting to get too cold to be enjoyable. Glass liners are a lot better at keeping things hot.

Have you thought about a 12v kettle for the boat? Certianly will be hot whenever you want with one of those.

I remember years ago being able to buy a coffee mug heater like what the old kettles used to have inside and they were the ducks guts for boating or camping.

Aussie Bob, What is that in your avatar??

Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post

........Aussie Bob, What is that in your avatar??

Jack.
    Looks like this old hoax photo;

http://www.sfbayadventures.com/helicopter_sharks.html

Cheers

Dave

I have for many years now used an Arcosteel 1.5lt stainless steel flask....in a word brilliant......early morning make coffee fish all day come home have left the flask overnight, pour into sink next morning steam come off the remaining coffee......it really is very good........Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Mate you have to spend the money, thermos or stanley, stainless inside & out. People will tell you their glass inner has lasted for years, lucky, one bump will do it. Even the stainless ones will get punchered & loose their heat.
    jerson.

I have two brand name stainless jobs and they both work well. Just remember to preheat with boiling water if possible
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Alladin or Stanley mate.

Cheers Benny

Thanks all - I have bought a Thermos stainless 1.8 litre from Target for $38. I reckon that the the problem with my last big one was that it lost its vacuum - it transferred the heat to the outside very well . I had a 1 litre IKEA one that didnt transfer its heat. I did a side by side between the 2 old ones this AM before I settled on the Thermos. I pre-heated them the same and filled them with boiling water the same. I then waited until tonight 9.5 hours later and stuck in a themoprobe...35 degrees for the big crap one and 70 degrees for the little IKEA jobby - ie steam still coming off and fine for coffee. I will test the Thermos and see how that goes.

Cheers all and thanks again

I have a 1.7l Thermos brand stainless vacuum flask....it worked great for a few months and now it is rubbish. I can't figure out what happened, no obvious signs of damage...just gets cold way to quick. I had a Glass cheapo one for years that had several tumbles out of my Landcruiser with out breaking( from over 1.5m)......then one day it fell off a low shelf onto grass (about 20cm drop) and it smashed. Go figure.

Cheers Roo.

Mate, i got a 12volt coffee maker from waeco , Cost a cool $20 and makes 8 cups of tea or coffee.