Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best thermos for hot drinks when boating

Re: Best thermos for hot drinks when boating

Another thing i've noticed is if you leave a stainless steel flask in the sun, the outer layer heats up & seems to allow the heat to transfer out of the flask. Store them in an esky or at least in the shade & they will hold their heat a lot longer.

Jerson.

I've had a few now over the years stanley has been the best to date.
    remember you dont have to remove only undo the lid to pour.
    that way stops the cold air entering.

Yep the Thermos are the same - just undo the lid a little and channels allow liquid to escape.

Cheers

PS. My brother had green steel Stanley for years and it did him well too

we have just bought a dura vac thermos & i must say not bad at all, filled it up at 9am went fishing had a few coffee's than when i went to empty it at 10pm it was still hot. $40 bucks (bcf). so i'm happy with it.

ron.
    reels screamin aboard Hyper- Active

Noticed the Target thermos's and associated stuff are 30% off ATM-just the opportunity I like stumbling across

cheers fnq

Last test bought a thermos brand from Target last night, filled it with hot water as per my last procedure and have just taken it's temperature after 12hours, 73degC which is a pass as far as I am concerned.

The lid surface temp was 31deg and the side was 1 deg higher than the surface of objects around it at 26degC.

So the lid is the culprit on these leaching heat but it's surface area is small compared to the rest of the flask inside.

It's a keeper! money well spent. I have trouble believing now that I battled on with my old one for so long!

cheers fnq

Well done FNQ - seems from our comparisons that they lose most of the heat early..ie there isnt much loss from 12 hours to 20 hours - ie about 10 degrees.

Good buy mate.

Cheers

Could always drill a small hole in the top of the lid and pump in natural cure silicon..make a nice insulation...might just try that

...or would it conduct heat away from the vac flask more...can someone with an idea of physics help with this?

Ozscot try chasing up it's and others thermal coefficient on the net to see what will do better than nothing.

I see where you mean, had to have a look at the lid, the lid would be good for keeping cold hands a little warmer on cold nights!

I think it works well enough for me as it is esp when comparing it to my last one, suspect the lid loosing heat is deliberate in design.

cheers fnq

Ive started a test on my Stanley 1.05 lt SS unit.
    Test started at 5 pm today, Gold coast weather.
    No heat coming from the cylinder but just a little warm around the base of the double lid(cups).
    Ive just realised that my Digytherm wil only read to 50 deg
    Im wondering if one of those electronic ear temp readers will read the surface temp of the water inside the thermas?
    Bugga
    Mick

ozscott, my uncle had your brand flask, and it was great, he had two of em. But he made a box...tight fitting one...which protected them and held in the heat as well, just an idea.

Oh they had hinged lids on the top,with foam on the bottom, all helped to stop heat loss.

cheers garry

look at all the data comming through
    l thought i was reading a NCIS tv script
    made me laugh tho all good

we picked up a 1.8L thermos yesterday from Target. 30% off made it about $28. This is the same as our old one which has failed. the lid is a bit trickier to get on. hopefully it last longer then the not quite 2 years we got from the old one.

Cheers, Roo.

OK - the one that I got and posted about above, which worked really well when new has died. I pre-heated it and then put in the boiling water and its so hot on the OUTSIDE that you have trouble touching it!!! I hate bloody modern vac flasks. I purchased and old glass one on evil bay and its decades old and still works beautifully! Bring back glass!!!! Im taking the piece of poo back to Target to deposit it as a suppository.

Cheers