Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Barra Masterclass

Barra Masterclass

Hi all you Ausfishers & sufferers of I>B>Ditis.
    I just thought I might start a thread where we all get to share a little piece of gold with what we have learned about our barra fishing. Now this could be about fish behavior in certain impoundments , prevailing conditions , tackle ( types & set up) , leaders , lures ( favorites & why) , retrieve style , structure that produces , moon phases , scents ...... something you wont do! etc etc.
    We are very fortunate to have some exceptional barra fishoes ( professional & tournament) as members of this site ......not to mention others that excel at catching barra regardless + ones that have a fishery on their doorstep ..........

Collectively there is a bucket load of information that people have squirrelled away & just maybe this thread could be the focus point to share that little bit of
    gold!

Over to you

cheers

Nagg

Re: Barra Masterclass

Chris , You have got to be joking... You want us to share information that has taken us years to work out...Blood sweat and tears...Countless fishless trips Just give it away ! l cant believe that you could ask such a thing and think anyone would respond.......err ok Time on the water Thats number one...To me Barra dont like a sudden change.. like say the water temp... Yesterday l caught barras it was fine, no wind The day before l caught barras... Same conditions Not going out today..Why ? Blowing 25 knots Water temp will be down But if Sunday and Monday are the same l will be on the water Monday reguardless of the wind { If l can steal a boat }.. if you have peaks and troughs fishing will be harder... notice l said harder not impossible....

I'll start with one of the fundamentals, it's a no brainer but you'd be surprised how many people don't fully appreciate the fact and underlying reasons why (always looking for fast fix of fishing)

Time on the water = fish in the boat

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    Chris , You have got to be joking... You want us to share information that has taken us years to work out...Blood sweat and tears...Countless fishless trips Just give it away ! l cant believe that you could ask such a thing and think anyone would respond.....

AND !!!!
    As I've been told by my old mentor ....... "you dont ask & you dont get!"

Cheers

Chris

PS ...... Can you forward me your Awoonga GPS co-ordinates !

If fishing an area that you can't get too much time on the water, then get a guide for the first day. Nothing worse than fishing an area for a week for little results only to crack a pattern on your last day.
    Bill

Spot on Bill My bill is in the mail

I am 16 years of age and have been fishing Awoonga for around 2 years......I have most of my sucsess of Plastics........I have found that the days of no wind 5-10knots are the most productive days on the dam.(which is hard because i have to choose dam or reef)...:p........But when there are a couple of warms days and the wind has been down just watch the barometer and if the pressure hasnt droped....Barra should be caught.....Thats my bit of info..

Time on water = Fish in boat....(as stated above)

Cheers Plastic_Magic

Me and my big mouth

Stealth.Slow down everything.Be confident.The little things always count.If you dont succeed the first time try again and again and again and again and again!!!!

This sounds like another Master Class cunningly disguised as a M&G....there is nothing better than a chin wag a guzzle and a steak.....Now thats what I call a Master Class.......Whitto PS What do u reckon boys and girls
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    This sounds like another Master Class cunningly disguised as a M&G....there is nothing better than a chin wag a guzzle and a steak.....Now thats what I call a Master Class.......Whitto PS What do u reckon boys and girls
    i agree whitto a meet and greet is the easyest way to get info and also get on the water with the guys that fish it all the time . I have been fishing for them several times over the last few years and have only learn about then by what i have read and what i have seen and heard from people at the dams . i would love to saythat anyone who reckons those beasts are easy pickings there wrong. Unless you are fishing the dams weekly or daily i think you will only then be able to work out some sort of pattern . Just my oppinon

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    I think Trev has that Idea ........ this could be the lecture before a practical examination

Info is shared between friends and the only way we become friends is through meeting them, getting tutored by comp guys is all well and good but for the guy who tavells and enjoys all the benifits of barra fishing the best way is one on one or a chin wag around a camp fire.

You will find if you get blokes on a one and one basis the info is far more easily shared and also for the guy whos learning( which is both af you) far more likley to take it in rather then a group confrence.

Nagg mate you need to live here, or you will die of IBD soon

nagg when is your next trip sounds like your suffering real bad you need to get up here sooner then later so it can ease IBD
    whitto sounds like time for another meet and greet or at least a trip when it warms up abit more not saying fish cant be caught in the cold im just not a fan being in a tent at night freezing my ass off

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    Info is shared between friends and the only way we become friends is through meeting them, getting tutored by comp guys is all well and good but for the guy who tavells and enjoys all the benifits of barra fishing the best way is one on one or a chin wag around a camp fire.

You will find if you get blokes on a one and one basis the info is far more easily shared and also for the guy whos learning( which is both af you) far more likley to take it in rather then a group confrence.

Nagg mate you need to live here, or you will die of IBD soon
    You aint wrong ..... My only therapy is chatting with you guys atm ...... & thinking about it 24/7
    I enjoy my breamin ....... but its not the same

I'm pretty certain .... there will be a well worn path from somewhere in Brisbane to Mondy & Awoonga ..........

Chris