Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Barra Masterclass

Re: Barra Masterclass

I
    had switched to a HB with the tow point attached to the bib. As i cast, the bib broke away from the lure and as luck would have it, the lure landed motionless in front of the barra, disconnected from my line.
    What happened next was amazing.

The fish came up beneath the lure and sat motionless for what felt like an eternity, just eyeballing the lure. Suddenly it moved forward and smashed the lure with the side of its head (on this occasion not hooking up). Once it had completely turned around it followed through with a massive swipe of its tail which sent the lure up and over my boat. After this the fish returned to its original position in the snag.
    Would have loved to see that would love to know why the bib let go as well

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Pasfield View Post
    I

Would have loved to see that would love to know why the bib let go as well

Dick,
    The lure was a prototype made by a friend of mine......the bib was made from a Lexan material and was pinned and glued into place.
    Because it was a prototype he didn't have a jig to gauge the pins placement into the bib.....subsequently the pins were inserted too close to the end of the bib and the lexan simply broke out.
    During the course of our weeks fishing the lure had struck a few trees in tight cover (kids hey ).
    Six years on and a few metery's (and trees) later and it hasn't happened again.

The pain of not being connected to the fish was overcome by the amazement at what had just happened.

Just another insight into the Barra's many moods and reactions.

Cheers Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad62 View Post
    Dick,
    The lure was a prototype made by a friend of mine......the bib was made from a Lexan material and was pinned and glued into place.
    Because it was a prototype he didn't have a jig to gauge the pins placement into the bib.....subsequently the pins were inserted too close to the end of the bib and the lexan simply broke out.
    During the course of our weeks fishing the lure had struck a few trees in tight cover (kids hey ).
    Six years on and a few metery's (and trees) later and it hasn't happened again.

The pain of not being connected to the fish was overcome by the amazement at what had just happened.

Just another insight into the Barra's many moods and reactions.

Cheers Nomad
    Just on lures ....... I know that there are some well known barra lures that have the bib as their tow point ......... I've gotta say , I'm not a fan specially of the pinned ones. The last thing I want to be thinking about is the bib pulling

Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Just on lures ....... I know that there are some well known barra lures that have the bib as their tow point ......... I've gotta say , I'm not a fan specially of the pinned ones. The last thing I want to be thinking about is the bib pulling

Nagg
    Yes I on one trip in I had two pull, the first I thought was a fluke then on the second, that was it I don't know if it was the brand or what ever the case but I am sceptic about those particular lures now. To the credit of the company I sent them too them along with a letter say what drag I was useing and type of fish etc trying to help fix the problem and they sent out two lures which was not my intention but a nice gesture on their behalf.

Nath

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    Yes I on one trip in I had two pull, the first I thought was a fluke then on the second, that was it I don't know if it was the brand or what ever the case but I am sceptic about those particular lures now. To the credit of the company I sent them too them along with a letter say what drag I was useing and type of fish etc trying to help fix the problem and they sent out two lures which was not my intention but a nice gesture on their behalf.

Nath
    Nath ..... I found one well known barra lure with a bib missing at Peter Faust & another on the shore of Awoonga ...... also minus a bib ( 2 different lures & manufacturers )

Chris

Here you go Mickoo ....... Run riot
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

WIN LURES in BEN HUR Monduran in Sept thread!!!!

How you ask....just add posts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    WIN LURES in BEN HUR Monduran in Sept thread!!!!

How you ask....just add posts!!
    I thought you were the Gatekeeper ....... not the bookie

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks Nagg, you saved me a bit of searching there mate

Hi all you Ausfishers & sufferers of I>B>Ditis.
    I just thought I might start a thread where we all get to share a little piece of gold with what we have learned about our barra fishing. Now this could be about fish behavior in certain impoundments , prevailing conditions , tackle ( types & set up) , leaders , lures ( favorites & why) , retrieve style , structure that produces , moon phases , scents ...... something you wont do! etc etc.
    We are very fortunate to have some exceptional barra fishoes ( professional & tournament) as members of this site ......not to mention others that excel at catching barra regardless + ones that have a fishery on their doorstep ..........

Collectively there is a bucket load of information that people have squirrelled away & just maybe this thread could be the focus point to share that little bit of
    gold!

Over to you

cheers

Nagg

bump ........ is this the type of thing we want ?
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi all you Ausfishers & sufferers of I>B>Ditis.
    I just thought I might start a barra fishing
    Nagg
    TREV DONT SHARE ALL THAT INFO a small share will do BARRA MASTER YES THATS TREV ALL CLASS

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty whitey View Post
    TREV DONT SHARE ALL THAT INFO a small share will do BARRA MASTER YES THATS TREV ALL CLASS

Howyagoinmate, good to see ya here, and typing in caps again

When do we get to see you on the water next??

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Howyagoinmate, good to see ya here, and typing in caps again

When do we get to see you on the water next??
    SO YOU WOULD NOTICE soon I hope trying to find a BOAT or with nagg after ABT march
    or sooner I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty whitey View Post
    SO YOU WOULD NOTICE soon I hope trying to find a BOAT or with nagg after ABT march
    or sooner I hope

Give us a whistle when your heading up mate

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Give us a whistle when your heading up mate
    will do , it will be good to catch up with all you lads