Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Barra Masterclass

Re: Barra Masterclass

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Yeah I know what you meant You would be supprised at the amount of wear you get with HB's too. I have had strikes and hookups that have chaffed leaders. Nearly all fish caught and landed have created some form of damage too. sometimes its quite significant. I have caught plenty of barra ( not nearly as many as Trev or Scotty) on SP's with straight leader (60lb black magic) and have never had a bust off. Mabey I just got lucky.

Steve
    Steve ..... I know , i was just tugging your chain!
    I'm interested in your comments ........ Yeh with HBs you notice some wear to some extent!
    But my run on slicks is ..... frustrating at the very least So you've probably caught many more barra on plastics than me ......... So why am I struggling ? 4 or 5 worn leaders out of maybe 25 barra landed is matter of concern - specially when they have been the better class of fish! ........... Is my reaction time too quick
    Chris

Chris, I really cant answer about the reaction time. Trev would be the best. he was with you at the time. It did seem like a high % of bad luck for you. I really havent caught heaps, probably about same as you actually in the dams. I fished for them similar to bass (not knowing any different...old habits die hard) I was winding and if I got a hit (and no hookup) I would stop, pause then start winding again....usually second time around it would smash it and basically self hookup, but I use a stinger hook too. Now I have since learnt to strike EVERYTHING.!

We caught over 100 one year in NT on plastics with 60lb leader and only lost a handful due to sheer lazieness to change/cutdown leaders.

As for chafffing on HB, I reckon they hit the lure head on and hit the leader with their mouths, gill rakers too.....some of the lures are taken deep too. I really aint sure!!!! some others might be able to explain further.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Chris, I really cant answer about the reaction time. Trev would be the best. he was with you at the time. It did seem like a high % of bad luck for you. I really havent caught heaps, probably about same as you actually in the dams. I fished for them similar to bass (not knowing any different...old habits die hard) I was winding and if I got a hit (and no hookup) I would stop, pause then start winding again....usually second time around it would smash it and basically self hookup, but I use a stinger hook too. Now I have since learnt to strike EVERYTHING.!

We caught over 100 one year in NT on plastics with 60lb leader and only lost a handful due to sheer lazieness to change/cutdown leaders.

As for chafffing on HB, I reckon they hit the lure head on and hit the leader with their mouths, gill rakers too.....some of the lures are taken deep too. I really aint sure!!!! some others might be able to explain further.

steve
    Yeh Trev was there for a couple + Whitey & Matt at Tinaroo as well ....... I strike at everything ....... once you learn that , ,,,,, that tap is probably a fish!
    Anyhow .... I'll persue the ideal plastic leader system ...... =be it twisted or wind on FC
    Who knows ???

Chris

I used to use 80lb jinkai until one day something about 50lb swallowed the lot. Fishing with the thumb on the spool to keep the bugger away from the timber the fish jumped and shook its head about 10 metres from the boat. That one head shake wore through the line like a knife through butter and fish was gone.

I use 100lb now but I'm not happy with the physical bulk of that diameter line.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Pasfield View Post
    I used to use 80lb jinkai until one day something about 50lb swallowed the lot. Fishing with the thumb on the spool to keep the bugger away from the timber the fish jumped and shook its head about 10 metres from the boat. That one head shake wore through the line like a knife through butter and fish was gone.

I use 100lb now but I'm not happy with the physical bulk of that diameter line.
    Hi Dick ...... Yeh 100lb ... its a big step up in gauge
    I'm blown away with how abrasive the barras mouth is ..... & just how quickly 80lb is worn through & I'm not talking about gill rake rs cutting through either! ....... 30 Sec - 60 sec = Gone!

I'm yet to use FC for barra ..... but I reckon the abrasion resistance would be 50% better ( from my light line experience)

so I will try it along with twisted 50lb mono on my next trip !

Cheers

Nagg

I find for whatever lure presentation there is my tackle box, ummmm, tackle pile, there is no single best leader that will give each lure 100% swim justice with 100% chaffe guard.
    Before anyone compares leader results, drag settings must surely come into analysis. I use nothing lighter than 80lb leader for barra in lakes, 100 lb in the salt for most lures. Those that call 50-60 lb leader a safe margin would most likely get chaffed off all day if I set their drag. The heavier the drag, the more chaffing. To me, 80 is too small, 100 lb is too big. In a charter game where fish boated is extremely important it becomes especially apointed that leaders are up to standard. Hard body or soft plastic, the chaffe possibility is equal. Some of my lures are fine line balanced which means a heavy leader or wire sector will destroy the finnesse approach. I too struggle and stress my brain to come up with better leader systems. So far I'm not winning.
    I have altered a lure that catches alot of fish. They eat it like a lolly. The problem is that chaffe is now at an extreme from wise fish with modern day reactions that panic on hook up. ( It aint like the old days.)
    You set the trap, but now we, the angler is in a trap and seemingly helpless to get out. That lure hangs on the wall. Too light to use wire, too unbalanced to use heavy mono. Eagerly awaiting an answer, but until then it won't hit the water. I hate leaving lures in fish. It's my pet hate in any angling fishery. Any new leader materials floating about?
    Flurocarbon is great stuff in the right application. Hard as nails.
    Twisteds work well for the right lures but then again not always matching some small fine bibbed lures we call upon. Water resistance and water pressures on leaders can steal some of the lime light from the lure. Give and take alright...................Its midnight and I'm thinking about leaders. The answer will come one day.
    Good night.
    Cheers,
    JM

Quote Originally Posted by A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE View Post
    I find for whatever lure presentation there is my tackle box, ummmm, tackle pile, there is no single best leader that will give each lure 100% swim justice with 100% chaffe guard.
    Before anyone compares leader results, drag settings must surely come into analysis. I use nothing lighter than 80lb leader for barra in lakes, 100 lb in the salt for most lures. Those that call 50-60 lb leader a safe margin would most likely get chaffed off all day if I set their drag. The heavier the drag, the more chaffing. To me, 80 is too small, 100 lb is too big. In a charter game where fish boated is extremely important it becomes especially apointed that leaders are up to standard. Hard body or soft plastic, the chaffe possibility is equal. Some of my lures are fine line balanced which means a heavy leader or wire sector will destroy the finnesse approach. I too struggle and stress my brain to come up with better leader systems. So far I'm not winning.
    I have altered a lure that catches alot of fish. They eat it like a lolly. The problem is that chaffe is now at an extreme from wise fish with modern day reactions that panic on hook up. ( It aint like the old days.)
    You set the trap, but now we, the angler is in a trap and seemingly helpless to get out. That lure hangs on the wall. Too light to use wire, too unbalanced to use heavy mono. Eagerly awaiting an answer, but until then it won't hit the water. I hate leaving lures in fish. It's my pet hate in any angling fishery. Any new leader materials floating about?
    Fluorocarbon is great stuff in the right application. Hard as nails.
    Twisteds work well for the right lures but then again not always matching some small fine bibbed lures we call upon. Water resistance and water pressures on leaders can steal some of the lime light from the lure. Give and take alright...................Its midnight and I'm thinking about leaders. The answer will come one day.
    Good night.
    Cheers,
    JM
    Well ...now I feel much better I now know that I'm not the only one who is thinking about their leader system ........ Thanks Johnny
    With my limited time spent barra fishing ....... I've certainly come to the conclusion that you need 2 or 3 set ups available!
    Fluorocarbon is a great option ( still yet to use it on a barra) However aside from being tough ..... it is very stiff , thicker & it sinks like a stone , So as far as finely tuned lures go ( suspenders) or some of the light surface lures ...... FC can kill em .... as JM indicated ........ We can use this in our favour though when using lures that are either ultra buoyant ( like the occasional stiffy) or lures like the B52.
    I was reading somewhere that FC is around 30% more abrasion resistant than std mono leader ( I feel it is even higher than that) .......... So maybe 60lb FC could be an option for those lighter.
    lures ........ or do we take a leaf out of the trout fishoes book & rub a wax on the leader
    With regard to twisted leaders ( with a snap ) ...... I've only used them a bit & had no failures ......... Though I haven't tried them with SPs ( next thing to try) I think it might be OK with plastics (minus the snap) ........... But do barra baulk at twisted leaders ??? ....... & will a non loop connection detract from the action of a plastic
    Ahhh I love this stuff

Nagg

Chris, Try a solid brass ring on the twisted leader and use a Owner split on the tow point or hook eye of your lure. Just dont go too heavy on the brass ring, 50-60lb would suffice.

Fluorocarbon doesn't improve bite off rates, used 60lb fc a lot last year and lost hundreds of fish, it was the use of fluorocarbon that convinced me to go back to twisted leaders for soft plastics. I actually think fc is easier for the barra to bite through than black magic hard trace. I, like jm, think that 80lb single strand is the minimum to use especially when using soft plastics, the only trouble I have is the albright knot in 80lb won't go through the tiny guides on loomis rods that I use. I don't use twisted leaders on jerk baits like b52's as the cushioning effect of the twisted leader detracts from the action of the lure. This is why I take at least 6 rods with me, each one has a different leader set up for the specific lure that will be used on that rod. cheers scott

Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    the only trouble I have is the albright knot in 80lb won't go through the tiny guides on loomis rods that I use. This is why I take at least 6 rods with me, each one has a different leader set up for the specific lure that will be used on that rod. cheers scott
    Scott

Have you experimented with wind-on leaders yet? We make our own.....actually that's half the fun over a few cold ones....and to date touch wood, they have not failed us. I use 80lb Penn 10x but I know Eric Grell is a fan of the BM.

Cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ren View Post
    Scott

Have you experimented with wind-on leaders yet? We make our own.....actually that's half the fun over a few cold ones....and to date touch wood, they have not failed us. I use 80lb Penn 10x but I know Eric Grell is a fan of the BM.

Cheers
    Paul
    Hi Paul

I love the wind ons ..... its the best casting IMO
    however ...... Its the leader material that is worn through ! & both BM & 10X are just as bad as each other .... abraded through
    I'm going to build some wind ons using 80lb FC .... & make a comparison!

Cheers

Nagg

Be patient, there are a lot casts between fish some days.

:>
    Peter

Eagerly awaiting an answer, but until then it won't hit the water. I hate leaving lures in fish. It's my pet hate in any angling fishery.
    Yes agreed, puts a damper on the night when you know there's a fish swimming around with a mouth full of trebles. I've tried to reduce that and the damage sometimes done by the trebles by going to singles on some of my lures. Don't work in all circumstances but when conditions are good for them they are a great way to fish

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    Chris, Try a solid brass ring on the twisted leader and use a Owner split on the tow point or hook eye of your lure. Just dont go too heavy on the brass ring, 50-60lb would suffice.
    Good one roo !

Now ..... what about when fishing plastics ?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Good one roo !

Now ..... what about when fishing plastics ?

Chris
    That was for fishing plastics!! the problem is getting a suitably stong split ring through the hook eye on a slick rig or jighead. I've done it with a 4XX halco fishring (the triple wrap ones) but i'd suggest the owner #6 split would work better. You can add a second split ring to help with extra articulation if the fit of the first one is a bit restricted through the hook eye. a leader of knotable steel trace could be the trick if bite/rub offs are still an issue and visibility isn't.

Cheers Roo.