Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who Can Fish Left Handed ???

Re: Who Can Fish Left Handed ???

Cast with right, wind with left for all forms of fishing. It just feels right to me so each to their own i suppose. If it feels good do it

G'day Ausfishers,

I think we had this thread once before, anyway many years ago when my father first taught me to fish he had me changing hands when casting to avoid trees and bushes behind me on the bank.

My prefered way to fish and what I do now is, spin reels I hold and cast with my right hand and wind with my left.

Baitcasters I hold and cast with my right hand then change to my left hand and wind with my right, but I can cast with my left hand then I don't have to change hands the only noticable difference for me is casting left handed I carn't cast as far.

I never have to think about it, all ways seem natural to me, then again I was also taught again by my father to play snooker either hands, realy handy depending on which side of the table you need to take the shot. I prefer to shoot left handed, I use a shovel in either hand but can only write right handed. My father was the same but I'm not sure whether in my case this is inherent or taught.

Cheers Howard
    All times wasted thats not spent fishing

Hi All

I am left handed but use my rod as a right handed person. Also bat right handed.

Does it really make a difference what hand you use???? as long as it works????

Ronnie

When I started soft plastics fishing I taught myself to wind left handed. I found that I had more control over the rod with my right hand and it streamlined the casting process. It felt a bit strange at first but I figured it was easier than learning how to do all the retrieves with the rod in my left hand. Plus it saves swapping hands to cast as I'm hopeless casting with my left hand.

It just feels normal now. Not that it's done me any good lately - I need to make an appointment with a fish whisperer.
    What would Steve do?

fortes fortuna adjuvat

Yep, as Wags said earlier, i'm a right hand cast, left hand wind, I am ambidextrous in this regard, but that's the way I prefer it. Bit of a bugger if someone else (Swano) grabs the rod if it happens to have a fish on and the skp is busy, or he winds it in...nothing but a winger, actually turns the rod upside down and winds backwards!!!!

Damn Rhys, I was trying to get a bite. I haven't fished all week.

I hold the rod in my right and wnd with left, this seems to be the normal way of doing it in Holland where I grew up. SOfar only Oz seems determined to wind and cast with right.

On a side note, when fighting that 90cm + jew or king or whatever you want the rod in your strongest arm don't you?

Jack

I cast with my right and wind with my left, you got so much more control over the rod doing it this way.

I cast with my right and I retrieve my right but when I cast with my left or retrieve with my left I look very unco...

I am a rightie, cast right, fish right but wind left handed with a spin outfit.

I am all right handed on a baitcaster/overhead setup.

I changed my spin configuration about 5 or 6 years ago when I started predominately casting lures. Seemed to make sense to cast and fish with my right hand and wind with my left hand. Initially it took a bit to get use to, but now it feels natural.

My mates still think I am crazy. At least they don't want to use my gear.

Peter

I can use either hand. I started out as a right handed caster and was that way until I broke my arm in a football game, then I switched to my left hand and have been that way ever since. I've actually found it much easier for me to use my left hand when I have another person in my boat, it keeps us from having any casting problems.

The broken arm also changed the hand I write with, from right to left, but I can still write fairly well with my right hand if I need too.

I'm right handed and used to cast with the right arm then switch hands and reel with my right. Also wasn't until i got into soft plastics that i started casting with my right arm and reeling with my left hand. Felt so weird at first and did swap back a couple times but now i consider myself ambidextrous. I'd have to say the best switch i've done. Makes it so much better for plastics to.. Just gotta hang in there...