Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Threadfin Salmon

Threadfin Salmon

I have never caught an almighty thread fin salmon before and would sure love to catch one.
    could anyone give me a few tips like what bait to use, lures, plastics what techniques and where abouts is the ideal place to target them.
    any help will be appreciated greatly
    Cheers
    BreamBuster33

Re: Threadfin Salmon

I asked the same question months ago, i got told live prawns in the brissy river, cant remeber the exact spot but it was off some rocks with a jetty next to it halfway down the river!

I dont think i really helped you , but live bait is the gun!

Cammo
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Threadies love prawns (live is better) or prawn imitation plastics and jackalls.

You'll find them all over the river but mainly where you have deep water near by.

Don't waste your time with anything under 30lb leader.

I was in a similar position a few years ago when I was living in CQ. I got this advice. I always used a standard running, instead use a paternoster rig. Use live herring or live prawn. When the threadies hit don't strike hard as it is likely you'll rip the hooks out of their soft mouth. Take your time and be gentle, if your to hard on them you'll pull the hooks. I found that they come in relatively easily, though be ready because they seem to play up at the last minute by lunging around, so just be gentle. So if you are in an area where they are known to be caught try these techniques and see how you go.

In 5 years living there I fluked catching a couple, when I used some of these tips I caught about six in my last few months I lived there, up to 90cms.

Hope that helps a little

Kendall

kenall where in CQ where u fishing.... a nice specific location would be great ... along with tides, times, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Breambuster33 View Post
    I have never caught an almighty thread fin salmon before and would sure love to catch one.
    could anyone give me a few tips like what bait to use, lures, plastics what techniques and where abouts is the ideal place to target them.
    any help will be appreciated greatly
    Mate, try asking M62 - see his post & the thread on threadies here ... http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=131984

Would be interested to hear your tale if you do give it a go....

Hi Local_Guy

when I was living in rocky, I used to fish sometimes from the cement ledge down behind the boral gas works. But most of the time I would go the the end of Quay st. on the dirt road. I believe it was called devils elbow. The easiest place to get bait was from the woolwash and go down devils elbow. I would head down a couple of k's on the the dirt, I've fished several spots down there all much the same. My fav spot was the clearing just before you go over the 2nd bridge (little one)Best fishing for threadies seemed to be the last hour of run-in to the first hour of the run-out. high tide just on dusk seemed to be the most productive.

Kendall

latest fishing world magazine has a good article on the brissy river threadies but on modified lures not too much talk about bait. from my experience with them sit in the shallows close to the drop of into the channel send out some herring or live prawns on a decent leader as they have rasp like mouths , keep your baits close to the bottom as they feed mainly on the bottom and see how you go ! good luck. Cheers Andrew

just wondering if people eat threadies and what they're like?

ive heard that they taste beautiful.
    also heard a quote from a fishing show " they leave barra for dead"
    so they must be bloody good
    Cheers
    BreamBuster33

Quote Originally Posted by Breambuster33 View Post
    ive heard that they taste beautiful.
    also heard a quote from a fishing show " they leave barra for dead"
    so they must be bloody good
    Not the threadies from the Brissy river. Taste muddy IMHO. I reckon just about everything else I have eaten from the salt has tasted better than the threadies I have caught.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

if they are anything like the samon up here in the whitsundays they are up there with trout and barra...... live prawns are good but so are potty mullet

AS other have said, live baits are the gun bait.

I use (in order of prefernce) live prawn herring and mullet near deeper water on a flooding tide. I like to site in the deep water near the mudflats and lob my livey onto the flats, where the salmon will be feeding, chasing bait along the flats. As for rigs, I just tied my leader on and use a running sinker straight down to the hook, this gets the bait to the bottom and also allows it to have a bit of free reign to kick up the mud/sand and cause a bit of comotion. You can alos use a swivel about 1-2feet from your hook and your sinker above that or use a paternoster, with enough line on the dropper for your bait to reach the bottom.

Fishing the bottom is perhaps the single most important thing for threadies I have found from personal experience, as that where they feed, using their whiskers to 'feel' vibrations on the bottom. I have even caught smallish ones using dead squid baits fishing for grunter, and yep, you guessed it, the bait was on the bottom. Fishing deep is not always a nessecity, but make sure there is deep water nearby, threadies will feed on the flats and retreat to the deep when there session is over.

As always, when fishing the bottom you will get catfish but persist and you will end up with your desired result sooner or later.

And threadies are great eating, way better than barra (one of the most overrated eating fish in the known universe), but not quite up there with grunter or mangrove jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    AS other have said, live baits are the gun bait.

I use (in order of prefernce) live prawn herring and mullet near deeper water on a flooding tide. I like to site in the deep water near the mudflats and lob my livey onto the flats, where the salmon will be feeding, chasing bait along the flats. As for rigs, I just tied my leader on and use a running sinker straight down to the hook, this gets the bait to the bottom and also allows it to have a bit of free reign to kick up the mud/sand and cause a bit of comotion. You can alos use a swivel about 1-2feet from your hook and your sinker above that or use a paternoster, with enough line on the dropper for your bait to reach the bottom.

Fishing the bottom is perhaps the single most important thing for threadies I have found from personal experience, as that where they feed, using their whiskers to 'feel' vibrations on the bottom. I have even caught smallish ones using dead squid baits fishing for grunter, and yep, you guessed it, the bait was on the bottom. Fishing deep is not always a nessecity, but make sure there is deep water nearby, threadies will feed on the flats and retreat to the deep when there session is over.

As always, when fishing the bottom you will get catfish but persist and you will end up with your desired result sooner or later.

And threadies are great eating, way better than barra (one of the most overrated eating fish in the known universe), but not quite up there with grunter or mangrove jack.

sorry scotty, i'd rather have a chew on a barra than a grunter....

this is all great info for me as ive never caught one and would really like to. also whats their minimum size limit? i cant seem to find it on the size limit chart from dpi