Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barra Theory Time

Re: Barra Theory Time

Quote:
    one other thing.....this may sound strange...but I often just get a 'feeling' about certain areas for fish. Sometimes when an area is quiet, something just changes and you can feel it...I dont know how to explain...but fish often bite then for me.
    A subliminal response to a set of circumstances that provoke animals into hunting and feeding. As humans and fish are animals it stands to reason that these triggers would have a similar affect on both.

Providing that enough of the triggers coincide the human predator would be capable of picking up on them (even though our predatory urge has been somewhat dulled by lifestyle recently)

Yes, yes, yes, now we are gettin the gist of provoking our minds to think.
    Steve B, You are onto it. It is called blending with nature, the same as what every animal and barra does- they blend with nature because they are nature- so too are we.
    Dick Pasfield has it in one. Some of our human instincts are being lost in lifestyles where we no longer require them, so we become less tuned to our environments.

Steve, Nath, that feeling you describe has answers for you. Maybe you could write down your experience on a note pad and recall what changed or what occured for you to think it was 'fishy time'!
    I too had those experiences 8 yrs ago where I was with friends on Awoonga driving along and I stopped the boat and said "over there,,,,,we must be over there". They asked why?,,I said i don't know, but we just have to be there because everything looks right. But what looks right, they asked? I said "I don't know, but we must fish." We did and we hooked lots of hungry barra.
    The point is that you/anyone as an angler notice plenty of things that occur during any day. They may not mean a lot until you ask yourself 50 dumb questions about that topic. If you answer them to yourself you give yourself thousands more ideas and clues to work with over time.
    That day that I noticed something about that piece of water was the way that it moved, the shape of the waves, the formation of the bubble/wind lanes on the surface. At the time I never knew about currents. It was the opener for me.

It is the same when you 'feel' like a barra is going to bite or when conditions change or you think you know when it is going to happen. Maybe it is simple as taking off your jumper or noticing a 'look' or a inner gut feeling about something you have experienced before but never expanded upon why,,,,,,,,until now that is!! Why do you take your jumper off, why do you put one on? What is happening to the environment at that same time you do that?
    I fished with a man yesterday, smart angler who catches lots of Awoonga barra. We'd fished for 30 mins. Nature threw in a trigger and I expected a barra within two minutes. It happened. I asked this man at the end of the day if he noticed when that fish bit. He said no. I bet he is still thinking about it now. That's all I want anglers to do more of, is start taking more notice of their environment and of course monitoring individual angler's actions. Take notes, compare results. Check your clock.
    Later in the same day another trigger came into play. I said "a barra in 4 casts". I was wrong, it took about 10 casts. More barra hook ups followed in the next ten minutes. As mentioned in a post of mine yesterday, the weather governs when and why barra feed. Dairy keeping is golden. They paint a far out picture that will blow your mind.
    Areas to expand on include- when, where, why, how? Go and take a peek at that list of variables once again if you want questions or topics to ask yourself. Bore yourself to death now with 50 million silly questions that will give you 50 million silly answers that you can call upon to sift through to build yourself a bigger picture. But only if you want to. Silly questions are the best ones.
    Johnny

And here i was thinking Dick was calling Steve a Neanderthal.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    Fair go, the only thing I'd call him is late for dinner

It’s about instincts and having the confidence to trust those instincts. Some call it a sixth sense….whatever….but every single one of us are born with natural instincts.

It’s how we react to changing circumstances in a constantly changing environment that will often dictate our success or misery.

Others have touched on it but it’s the miniscule band of highly successful anglers…….the real thinkers if you like….who are attuned to the subtle nuances within their environs that rarely return to the ramp without a broad inner smile.

They are the ones who are able to harness a more than healthy percentage of their arsenal of instincts, while for most of us, those instincts are left wallowing as untapped potential.

It’s plain easy to rock up to your little honey spot and start boiling the water to foam without giving too much thought to anything. It’s the easy way out…good company, a nice day on the water, a few laughs and perhaps a barra or too.

How many of us take that less travelled road and really give serious consideration to what is happening around them and why? Certainly not as many I would suggest. It is almost akin to the professional punter who spends day upon day studying the form of the horses he might back, ruling out different variables along the way, studying patterns from previous successful forays, before finally making his ultimate selections. I would bet he comes home with a fatter wallet than Joe Punter who backs every nag and jockey carrying a nice colour.

Sometimes it just plain hurts to think. Perhaps it is because we don’t understand why some of the stars might be aligned in a particular scenario. Perhaps, subconsciously, we don’t want to challenge ourselves in case we might be wrong.

Johnny is dead right though……..there are no silly questions.

This is a wonderful thread….keep the responses coming.

Cheers
    Paul

Is it just me thank thinks that we are just dancing around the peripheries here While its fine to talk about gut feelings ( a place looks fishy) instincts or to talk about the weather .................................................. .................................................. ......But what are we looking for in a landlocked impoundment ? ....... Why is it that you can flog a piece of water to foam ..... then make a lure change or alter a retrieve style & catch fish ? ...... to me this just leads to more questions
    Or why you can be fishing the same conditions ( strong SE winds) ..... & catch fish throughout the day ....... & do it for several days .......What was the influence here ..... It might have been shitty , but it was stable shitty
    As someone that loves their barra fishing ..... but spends most of their time fishing tidal waters where I can see the natural influences of moon , tide phases & movement , cover or lack of , air pressure ( rising or falling barometer) , water temps etc .......... I can & do get the feeling of a place looking fishy ( but for obvious reasons ..... In my own mind)

Back to Barra though ....... I've had success in the shallows casting using stealth , while another boat the size of Queen Mary has also had success trolling deep water!
    Or you find a prominent piece of structure with bait showing in ideal conditions in a changing light ....... & nothing!

So with my lack of experience ....... I have seen & consider the following *Fishing improving during change of light periods , fishing improving with an upcoming summer storm or during the calm before the storm , Fish shut down with a sudden temp drop , wind blown shallows produce during days of constant SE winds , prominent points or weed beds near deep & shallow water can be stationing areas! .... certain moon periods = greater insect activity & CAN = surface feeding baitfish & boofing barra . Look for bait!!!!! ...... Some of this may be cliche , but all have been observed .... with a limited amount of time on the water ....... It may be right or wrong..... or just a small part of the equation
    I too get that fishy feeling in impoundments ...... but much less than I do fishing for wild fish! ...... & more often than not WRONG!!!!

Cheers All

Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    Ha ha Ah Roo, I have lost some skin off my knuckles from time to time!! I will wear my fred flinstone suit in summer and get some photos!! Dont show Kim, she might get a bit turned on!!!!

Dick, Dont worry about Roo, hes from NSW...those prissy, soft hand, latte drinking southerners think we are all rednecks and neanderthals up here!!

Oooga Booga Steve

Dick, Dont worry about Roo, hes from NSW...those prissy, soft hand, latte drinking southerners think we are all rednecks and neanderthals up here!!

Well......since he's from NSW and thirty years ago I was too he'd have to be right.

Nothing personal, footy, State of Origin, and the colour Blue rise to the top at this time of year

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Ha ha Ah Roo, I have lost some skin off my knuckles from time to time!! I will wear my fred flinstone suit in summer and get some photos!! Dont show Kim, she might get a bit turned on!!!!

Oooga Booga Steve
    Oh be still my beating heart
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'

Oooga Booga Steve
    Is that a hint of Western Qld dialect I sense in that response ?

Chris

Chris,

you will start talkin like that when you move to these parts....

Its infectious.

Steve

Chris,

you will start talkin like that when you move to these parts....

Its infectious.

Steve
    Steve , I've already started my course of preventative medication ...... EXTRA DRY ( taken orally ... approx 1000ml / day
    ...... but I'm told I have to up the dosage once I arrive in Qld

Hey are you over your bug & managing to get on the water ?

Chris