Thread: Giving Somerset a go - first time

Giving Somerset a go - first time

Hey All,

My brother and I have been talking about having a go at fishing Somerset.
    We have never really fished much in the fresh before except for the odd walk around NPD without any real success. I have been skiing up there before so I have a good idea about where the boat ramps are at Kirkleigh and The Spit. What I do need to know is a general idea about how, when and where to fish the damn. Is it worthwhile fishing there during the winter months? If so do we look in the deeper sections or fish up against the banks. Are lures or bait going to be the best option? It all seems a bit foreign after fishing the salt all your life.

I haven't seen too many reports recently from Somerset so I'm not sure how it is fishing. Any help would obviously be much appreciated.

Thanks

Kev

Re: Giving Somerset a go - first time

G'day Kev,
    I'm probably not the best to give advice on fishing someset but the best thing I've found is to look up Fitzy's website (sweetwater fishing) by using the link on this site. There's heaps of info on there that will be usefull to get you started.
    Another option is to chat to your local tackle store about it. Charltons at Redbank seem keen to help out with good info and tips.
    In saying all that, i'm sure you'll get a few replies from the guys and girls on this site too. I've always found someone willing to help out.

Best of luck Kev and I'll look forward to reading your report on your trip

Cheers DARC

Thumbs up Re: Giving Somerset a go - first time

Kev,

Somerset can be great one day turned off the next. But remember the purpose of the exercise is to 'go fishing' catching fish is a bonus.

There is plenty of info from the canteen / office if you go to Kirkliegh. The popular baits; sliders / grubs on a dead slow retrieve, Ice jigs jigged into a school if you find them. Obviously like the salt water work the edge of the school don't plough through it. Most decent bassers are happy enough if you sneek up when they are on are school and join in but the go is sneek up!:wink:

Masked Jackals are one of my personal favorites they are not cheap and don't risk them in the sticks but if you are going get one or two ; white and blue. Jig them. you really want a sounder to find fish in the basin. drop to the depth you think jig up, jig up, then down down, you will find the you get hit on the fall.

Queens street is always worth a try, if there are a few fishers when you are there you will soon see why it is called Queens st. try blooping little poppers in the trees or walking the dog with a shallow diver. Bounce small plastic off the standing timber and let them sink then jig.

If it is quite around the Kirkleigh boat ramp (i.e. you are there during the week) try around the bay there. Most scoot through this area but it is well worth a try around the bay and near the pump up take. There are holes here and this is where the fish are released at the comps. Take it easy though tearing around near the mouth of the bay here but because even with water in the dam the bottom is very close to the top in places and there is a bloody stump submerged in the middle of the bay off the ramp.

The northern end of the lake is the go for yella bellies up among the sticks any where north of Kirkleigh.

If you are in the south of the Dam watch out for those Mongrel Ski Boats! Some of those Galahs are not real bright. I have had them plough straight over trolled lures even when i was up in a bay trying to keep out of their way.