Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ausfish Premium Membership option

Re: Ausfish Premium Membership option

GDay all,

I'm guessing this thread is probably going to be one of Steve's biggest and will probably surpass some of the mighty ETEC and 2 foot chop threads and such

For what it's worth I worked in the Internet industry for about 5 years and the model that Steve is putting forward is actually extremely cost lenient on members. Most avid Internet users would have noticed a lot of sites, forums etc going down a similar path as they reach "that" point in their cyber existence. When there were 200 members and run off a home server Steve could do it as a hobby. Now there 25,000 it's really spawned a life of its own and a $cost of it's own which he is still having to pay for. It's ironic that the more popular it gets - it puts more pressure on it's existense.

A lot of sites folded because costs got too high - others went full subscription or some went - donation members. Two other sites I'm a member of DiveOZ and AusHunt have got similar versions of the same thing. DiveOZ has got the donation/supporter model where you don't get much other than the warm and fuzzy feeling from knowing your helping out one of your favourite pastimes, while Aushunt went the other way where subscribers or VIPs actually get more info then a general member when they part with the cash. But both of those sites - like Ausfish will continue to do - still off the same free content through the forum boards as if nothing has changed.

Steve's model is similar to the first - he's basically asking for assistence in running the site - think of it as a co-op, but he's also throwing in the benefit of subscribers being free of adds (the way pay tv should be ).

For those getting ancy - I'm sure you'll realise over the next few months that nothing will change here for you as a users and it will be the same site as it always has been.

Brett
    Last edited by bugman; 08-06-2008 at 07:54 AM.

i am a pensioner and this seems expensive too me are there any cheaper options

Quote Originally Posted by kevros02 View Post
    Yep, the Free Membership that you currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by kevros02 View Post
    Send $15 to Didley , 6 monthly, There are no added features to you, but you can feel your contributing and Didley will feel a little better too. Win win situation

With thanks Didley

I am happy to pay the membership fee for joining Ausfish, but playing the devils advocate, If I was an advertiser on Ausfish would my advertising fees be less because I have lost some of my viewing audience?
    Barker Transport Logistic Services
    Transport Solutions for Every Job

For a fantastic adventure: www.mvwaiben.com

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj63/Waiben/

Quote Originally Posted by BrewGuru View Post
    I am happy to pay the membership fee for joining Ausfish, but playing the devils advocate, If I was an advertiser on Ausfish would my advertising fees be less because I have lost some of my viewing audience?
    See post #114

I was confused with all the talk of ad's, as I'd never seen them on here. So I loaded the page up in IE & now I can see the ad's.

My ad blocker on Firefox must be working well, as I don't even get 1 of them on the screen ever.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Personally I dont mind the ads but if that is going to be the only "benefit" to the website the for the time being I am happy to be a non paying member. Though if a real difference between paying and non paying members is created then I dont feel that would be fair, but I would probably become a subcriber. Soft option I know but thats how I feel.

For those that asked via PM and want to support the site, here is some screen shots

Click on Member CP, located in the top left corner of the forum control bar

A drop down menu will appear, click on Member Control Panel

On the next page you will see the following at the bottom of the selections, just click on Paid Subscriptions

Then on the next page select the Premium subscription and follow the onscreen instructions.

Have added this to the first post as well.

Thanks for the service on this site. I have now subscribed.
    Cheers,
    Angus

Quote Originally Posted by Benno View Post
    That was a very amusing read, some of the replies are priceless, ridiculous and plain ignorant, beats paying money to see an average comedian on stage!!!
    I'm joining. It has been an extremely invaluable source of information and one you can't put a price on..
    Good work Ausfish

Benno
    Agree, wholeheartedly!

With my house repayments ,My new baby ,And the rising cost of fuel and food ,I simply can't afford it.

My splurges on JDM tackle,And lure collecting have also come to a screaming halt .Looks like I'll just have to remain a regular member.I am happy with this regardless.

Cheers. B8.
    The underlying spirit of angling,Is that the skill of the angler,Is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish,And that the latter is entitled to an even chance for his life. Regards, Hardb8.Kickin tails and razin scales since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardb8 View Post
    With my house repayments ,My new baby ,And the rising cost of fuel and food ,I simply can't afford it.

My splurges on JDM tackle,And lure collecting have also come to a screaming halt .Looks like I'll just have to remain a regular member.I am happy with this regardless.

Cheers. B8.
    That is not a problem Hardb8. If you can't afford 22 cents a day it is fine. As stated in the first post it is an option that some members wanted so it was offered. Everyone is a valued member of the site regardless of taking up the option.

It may cost 22cents a day to subscribe but i advertise Ausfish daily (Stickers on vechicle). I travel major roads ( Nudgee, Kingsford Smith etc) up to 4 times a day. Plus my hat, shirts, boat decals and i happily paid for the privilege to try to get "bums on seats" so sponsors will be attracted.

So I'm still doing something for the site regardless.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

This thread if I read right, appears to have been last answered 2 years ago. Joined a couple of days ago and have been reading, sometimes laughing and others a bit confused, on and off since joining. Love the site and the posts and will be asking advise soon. Happy to have paid subscription and understand that it is not a viable option for all. Dont know how this will appear but here goes
    Ken Mills