Thread: Looking for flyfishing northern NSW

Looking for flyfishing northern NSW

Hi,
    I am new to the forum and relatively new to fishing in Oz. I am off this weekend (6-6-08) to northern NSW around Inverell, Glen Innes region. As I understand there is not much in the way of trout this far north - which I have a better idea how to target. Any advice on places to go to wet a fly and the species this time of year that will take a fly? Cheers!
    Tim

Re: Looking for flyfishing northern NSW

Hi Tim,
    Have only fished this area twice. Both times it was for the weekend as an organised club trip with the South East Queensland Fly Fishers on the goldy.
    We fished on both trips on private property that was set up for trout fishing.
    The first trip we went to uncle billys and the next trip was to dunmore waters. The setups are great and the fishing good. I fished my innovator 6/7 with an intermediate line, 10 foot FC leader and 4 to 6 lb tippet. The patterns that worked ok were nymph patterns on number 12 / 14 mustad signature long nymph hooks.
    ALL the trout were rainbows. Last trip I managed 16 good fish for the 2 days. For a salt water wand waver I was happy with that and am looking forward to a trip back .
    Both Uncle Billys and Dunmore have a web site if you need more info.

Jeff

Tim,
    On the last trip to Dunmore Waters the locals discribed the fishing as hard on that weekend. So if I can pull 16 rainbows then someone who knows their stuff, and on a good bite, would be as busy as a one armed paper hanger.

Jeff
    Fly rods were made to bend!

Hey thanks for the help Jeff. No luck this weekend but it was mainly a recon trip. We were mostly targeting Murray Cod and Yellow Bellies this time round. Thanks for the tip about the trout scene. May give that a try next long weekend. By the way, is the SE QLD fly fishers meeting in Gold Coast? I want to get into the local scene but the Goldie is too far to drive on a regular basis, practically speaking. Any advice otherwise on metro Brissy clubs?
    Cheers!
    Tim