Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leader Recommendations?

Question Leader Recommendations?

G'day everyone,

With the ever increasing amount of people using braid these days I thought I would start a thread where we can all share some knowledge on what we find is the best leader irrespective of how much it costs. The things I am interested in personally are in the 10 - 20 lb categories and features which include strength, thinnest possible diameters, least amount of freying amongst the reefs etc. Currently I have been using 12 lb vanish. How does this brand stack up in everyones' eyes? What brands are you all using out there and what do you find is best about it?

Regards,

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

Re: Leader Recommendations?

Nitlon 10, 12 and 16lbs
    Nitlon seems to have a harder outer, I was using Rock FC before also Famill. I found that my Mainline ( Castaway ) was cutting the leader material at the Braid to leader connection. Tried several different knots..Allbright, Impro All, Uni, Mike Connolley, 5 Turn with and without a Bimini Twist with no joy.
    Tried Nitlon and now use either a Mike Connolley or Improved Allbright, If i get a snag the leader now breaks at the Jig

I used 12lb Seaguar (Kokoda) flourocarbon and found it very good. knots well and handled some fish far stronger than it. When I ran out of it, i replaced it with 14lb Sunline FC Rock. a Bit stiffer but also slightly thinner. so far had little use but it seems to tie a good knot.
    Cheers Roo.

I use nitlon as well I have used the Vanish and its like butter compared to nitlon around the reefs.
    For 20lb i also like jinkai even though its not a flourocarbon leader.

Jack.

A guide put me onto schneider up north and its all i use.i find it ok its the right price and very abrasive resistant.works for me.thinking of giving windons a go though.
    chewy.............

My preference is Penn 10X.....I will use 10lb through to 40lb depending on the target fish....haven't experience any other brands - although I know there are differences...but as said Penn 10X is just my preference....will keep an eye on this thread to see any other recommendations....

I use Schneider as well, its cheap and awesome on abrasion.

G'day

Nitlon for me as well, had the same observations as Jack...... leaves the vanish for dead regards abrasion resistance

Dave

Leighton,
    Do you tie the Albright with or with out a Bimini. I'm reckoning that by doubling the main line, then tying the Albright is the go. It is one less knot to fail and the doubled main line I think, just helps with the braid cutting ther leader factor. Your thoughts?
    Tim

Yamotoyo for me ... Great abrasion resistance & knot strength > Closely followed by Sunlines Egi FC Clear which is a bit cheaper
    Personally ..... I never liked the Vanish ( you might as well have used mono IMO)

Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_N View Post
    Leighton,
    Do you tie the Albright with or with out a Bimini. I'm reckoning that by doubling the main line, then tying the Albright is the go. It is one less knot to fail and the doubled main line I think, just helps with the braid cutting ther leader factor. Your thoughts?
    Tim
    Yeah tried both with and without a Bimini, I tend to use a Bimini more often than not but since changing to Nitlon my leader cutting issues have been solved

yep 10lb nitlon for bass... holds up well, ties good knots and doesnt frey easily!

cheers barra

Seaguar for me

neil

i use nitlon in the lighter stuff up tp 12lb, but use penn 10x in the heavier up to 80lb . i just find the nitlon gets to stiff and ridged in the heavy stuff. and the penn 10x is soft but very strong. cheers

hi, i have used alot of leaders for my breaming so far the one i like mos tis what i just bought. i have fished with it on 3 occasions now and have never been snapped off or bitten off by a fish on it (i'm using 4lb) i even managed to cast into a snag and still wit hthe 4lb i could pull the boat over to where it was snagged and get it out. it is incredibly strong, incredibly thin, incredilbly cheap, incredibly clear. well i think its cheap comes in 100m spools for about 15 bucks. i guess you are all wondering what... PLATYPUS STEALTH LEADER!!!

regards,
    keechie
    Breaming is my LIFE!!!