Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jacks changing their colours

Re: Jacks changing their colours

mate, from memory it was 65cm, must get a brag mat. Yeh the boys who chase em in the harbour and breakwalls have got a super high loss rate as they r mostly fishing from the breakwalls and the fish just bury themselves, the only way to have any luck is from a boat with locked up drags and skull drag em out. I am running 50lb braid off a double and 80lb leader and I STILL get smoked, so much fun. Attached is a much more hansome photo of the red fish and 1 my young fella got.. Cheers, pete.

Have a look at the various colours in this lot. These fish are about to be checked for gender before squirting some eggs and hopefully some of the other. 5 females and 2 males from memory. (must be one hiding behind the tub)

Hey CV, thanks for that. Did u notice them changing once they were in the tank?

Mate I am no expert but I have a pet Jack in my tank and he changes colours all the time, but mostly its mood swings.

When i show him some live goldfish out side the tank he lights up deep red almost maroon colour. When he is in a aggressive mood he will do the same.

But when i tease him and put lures in his tank he goes white in a lot of places, mainly white stripes and a big white stripe above his head that runs from gill to gill and the deep red colour just leaches out of him.

When i throw a gulp in tank he runs a mile because he hates the smell and he goes white within 2 secs of it entering the water. Its stresses him out and takes a wile for him to return to his normal self. Even if i put some live food in his tank he will not touch it. Very very intelligent fish also

Cheers

Lee

Good one Lee, mate I would love to see a video of your fish lighting up. Cheers, Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete62 View Post
    Good one Lee, mate I would love to see a video of your fish lighting up. Cheers, Pete
    He is still only a baby realistically but he is around 25-28cm in length.

He is also a 100% fresh water jack and was reared in freshwater.

Not sure about how to do videos but I have a few a few videos on my phone of my jack doing surface strikes in his tank.

Cheers

LEe