Thread: Mt Isa Region

Mt Isa Region

Heading up around the Isa come October and was wanting to know about some of the areas where people have fished... Moondarra, Julius, Lawn Hill... We'll be fishing out of the kayaks so definitely freshwater only!
    Also if there are some other places worth spending a couple of days at, please tell all!!
    Cheers
    Leeann

Re: Mt Isa Region

Leeann have a look at the Gregory river some great camping and fishing to be had along there .
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Lawn Hill is lovely and worth the effort to go and visit, but you cannot fish there as it is a national park. You can camp at Adel's Grove and kayak/fish there (only 10kms from lawn hill). If yo go up via the Riversleigh Station route, stop in and talk to the station manager there, friendly people who can direct you if any camping is available on their station (could be restricted due to mustering, etc) Also the Gregory river flows through there, so when you cross it there is a large hole on the upstream side of the causeway, well worth a paddle and fish.
    If you wish to camp elsewhere on the Gregory, stop into the Gregory pub and have a chat there, they will tell you where you can camp and direct you to some of the fishing holes.
    Moondarra is nice and close to the Isa and is well stocked with barra. Levels are low at the moment so less water between fish.
    Lake Julius has some barra, but go for the sooties. It has a natural population and catching 50 to 60 a day is possible with the right knowledge. PM me if you want more details. Also camping is restricted, but you can call up West Leichhardt Station and camp at a spot called sunday gulley, quite nice there. Expect to be alone out there!! During the week the dam will be devoid of any people, with maybe a boat or 2 on the weekend (and it is a big dam).
    There is also East Leichhardt dam which has unrestricted access and camping, also stocked with sooties and barra.
    Remember that the barra season closes early in the gulf, so be aware when fishing in natural waters. Most dams are exempt form this, but you are restricted to one fish per person.
    I could go on all day, dam I miss the fishing out there.
    Goddy

hey i definately recommend east liechardt and the gregory. i fished the gregory at easter from a tube and from the bank and caught and released heaps of sooties, catties, longtom and a couple of sleepy cod. spinner baits, stumpjumpers and small poppers were the go. and east liechardt is always good for sooties. i fish the rock pools there, they are extremely good when it is flowing but no rain here for ages so the fish are trapped in the pools. you can see the fish is massive schools and its a race for them to get to your lure first. i got a 53cm sooties out of there it was a big fat fish. when i catch the fish i also transfer them back into the main dam as they dont have much chance in the rock pools. worth a shot anyway. and moondarra..... if you want to catch barra and mostly fish over a meter thats where ide go. at the moment they are all in the shallows because of the cold wheather. the fish are spooked very easily. i have been getting them on fly lately and some good fish too. biggest was 111cm. anyway hope i have been of some assistance.

cheers,

Doug.

hmmmmm..... sounds bloody awesome!!!!! We used to camp on the Gregory at Easter time when I was a kid but that was going back a long, long, LONG time so I don't remember all too much I think that we are going to have one hell of a good time up there. The less people the better too. Hopefully we'll be right to camp for a couple of weeks at a time.

A big thanks to Stuie, Doug and Goddy!!!!

Hi Leean,

You could also try Mark Van Ryt at the:

Mt Isa Fish Stocking Association
    PO Box 2280
    Mt Isa Q 4825
    Email anggeo3@bigpond.net.au

Luc