Thread: Tips on fly fishing for begginers

Tips on fly fishing for begginers

hi, as i am young i am always wanting to try new things and this time it is fly fishing. i am wondering what coloured fly's and types would i need for fishing for bream, flathead and whtiing in the estuaries. what books and dvd's would you recomend. i want to try to do a bit before i go to a fly course at jones tackle because i want to decide if i like it and i don't want to loo klike an idiot . all help is muchly appreciated.

regards,
    keechie
    Breaming is my LIFE!!!

Re: Tips on fly fishing for begginers

mate peter morse has agood book. im only a novice but a couple points a found really helpful.D ont try and cast too far/hard.it really is about timing. And you wont catch anything on it if it laying in the bottom of the boat.Its easy to get discouraged at first and revert back to spin gear.If you can find some tarpon i found these yhe best to learn on.And still love catching them.
    chewy....

Keechie,
    Chewy summed it up well. If it seems like tough going don't hammer it. You will only screw up on a bigger scale and not enjoy the learning experience. Peter Morse does a DVD with Gillies titled "Introduction to fly Fishing". It's A 90 min dvd covering off on the grass roots stuff. Micca Adams also has a DVD out on Saltwater fly fishing. In this DVD Micca covers off on a wide range of usefull fly ideas. When looking at Fly casting " Lefty Kreh,s DVD's and vido's cover most bases. When it comes to good fly instructors in the bissy area you can't go past Gordon Low at Fishhead Tackle at Victoria Point. In 30 minutes Gordon will take the smoke out of fly casting and make all those books and DVD's make sense.
    I am with the Southeast Queensland Fly Fishers and tarvel down to the mermaid beach bowls club for the club meeting on the third wednesday of month starting at 1900 Hrs. The club has several top shelf fly casters who are more than happy to help with fly casting for free. Bare foot fly casting is done under the lights on the bowling greens on club nights. I live at Wellington Point. Shoot me a PM if I can assist.

Jeff

Keechie,
    Some good advice there , in my opinion books and DVD's can only get you so far and more than likely frustrated and disheartened. I finding the right people to teach you is the best thing , probably the best part about it is that you can find these people in your local area and they will more than likely not only teach you casting but what flies and gear works best . As Jeff mentioned Lowy at fishhead is an excellent instructor and is qualified as a member of the FFF (federation of Fly Fishers) an international standard of professional instructors if he is in your area it might be worth giving him a go . I am also a qualified instructor with the FFF and can assist if you like. , I am also involved with the Saltwater fly fisher association it is based on the sunshine coast and has another two of these international instructors as well as prominent fly fishing guides as members , so if a club is your thing either SEQFF on the Goldy or our club on the sunny coast both are very informative places to get started .
    Nial Logan a long time FFF member is based in Brissy his courses for Beginners are fantastic , having attended one myself when beginning , I have nothing but praise for how Nial teaches beginners from expert casting advise to knots , explaining lines ,reels and rods you even go fishing as a group at the end of the course , we went to the Barra park at Bli Bli . This course personally kickstarted my fly fishing experience and I haven't looked back. you can have a look at t what he has to offer here . Try on Fly

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

but if you want to get started on Breambos I personaly reckon surface fishing with Booby flies is the go , I reckon they outfish subsurface all year round , here is one of mine from a club trip to the Maroochy river.
    Chris

Nice booby Chris. The breambo love'em by the look on his face. The booby's look bigger than bean bag size foam. Is this one on the sunny coast site yet? I have been playing with some number 10 trout patterns on the bream at the moment. Are you lads looking to fly the bass again later in the year?

Jeff

I hadn't noticed that Bream smiling until now

No seriously though , they do love em I think troutys use Boobys on a fast sink line but they are the gun bream pattern for surface action , having never fished for trout I can't see them used any other way .
    The beans are out of a bean bag I just rummaged through until I find the freaky big ones.
    And yes Mate we will defiantly hold the bass on fly tournament this year more than likely in November again . I am looking forward to it again this year because there are a few people who need to put their money were their mouth is

All good advice above. My summary would be:
    - go and do a casting course the first thing you do. Don't worry about thinking you will look like a goose. You will get nothing but encouragement and help at the course and even be able to meet someone who can take you fishing.
    - don't get too many flies to start with. Read and research and ask and stick to a handful that you know how to use. In salt water I woudl suggest clousers in yellow and white for most things, plus a bright pink one for flathead. Flathead are suckers for a fly. Surface flies like the booby flies (as discussed) or gurglers (my favourite) are also worth having. Also, if you fish from a boat, keep some surf candies handy in cast you come across a school of tailor or mac tuna or something .
    - finally, just go out and have fun. GIve it a go. It's great fun.
    8-D

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisho View Post
    I am looking forward to it again this year because there are a few people who need to put their money were their mouth is
    Who would you be talking about Chris?? Hopefully not me. I'm not showing you where I fish again, thats for sure. lol

Maybe chris means someone didn't pay or he will have to put the entry fee up to pay for the tucker? That booby for bream is got me chris. What hook pattern did you use. I was thinking some white with a touch of UV pearl for the tail.
    I was going to enquire about lake MAC but this weather looks like another possible heavy run over this weekend.

Jeff

Hey Mate,

Come fishing with me this weekend, I'll lend you a book on Fly casting so you can grasp the technical aspect of casting then I'll take ya out and show you how to cast in the park and a quick fish and youll have no problem picking it up when you go on the fly course.

Happy Birthday too dude, hope you had a great day at scotts and got onto some Snapps PM me and we'll organise a time to meet at the ramp.

Cheers,

Mark

when you go fishin take only your fly rod you will work it out from there