Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you using the strong Aussie $$$

Re: Are you using the strong Aussie $$$

Am i spending overseas "YOU BET I AM"just sold 13 reels and 5 rods to make room for some good stuff..I'm in heaven..Just spending enough to keep it under a grand..this silly thing called tax..

Gotta say I've just bought a heap of Zoom Horny Toads and Gamblers and Lucky Craft hardbodies and must admit that the only reason was due to the favourable exchange rate, and the fact that bying the same product here would see me paying through the nose for the privilege. I'm also currently looking at purchasing another shipment as I have seen some stuff that I've been thinking about for ages but just couldn't justify spending the cash that's expected in Australia. I would rather keep my money here but as was said earlier we are nowin a global economy so if my local supliers can't compete in range or price I'll take my hard earned cash to where I can get the best return....I'd be mad not too!

Cheers

Chris

Have not purchased any tackle from overseas,however i did purchase a Lowrance GPS/Sounder combo from the US last week, arrived today. The savings are impressive. Will be looking at a new rod/reel in the comming weeks.

Cheers Quinny

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    banshee ..... no disrespect intended , but really ...... you have either lots of cash to burn , don't spend much , happy to line the pockets of the likes of Mr Dunphy or are a philanthropist

I know what you are saying ..... please don't bite my head off , But I figure that I spend way too much on other things & taxes ...... which support locals in one way or another.
    even with my fishing gear ...... I still spend heaps on my boat ,lures , SPs etc etc ..... & plenty when I'm away on a out of town trip.

no I think i do my bit for the local economy!

Cheers

Nagg
    No offence taken,and as I implied people have the right to spend their money in any way they choose.

i am browsing for a new tuna, heavy plastics reel at the moment, will keep you posted on what i finally get.

I'm buying the UK pound as I'm going over there in a few weeks and will not want to pay the atm fees for foreign exchange.

What I'd like to buy and fetch back is some Hollands pies and whelks but customs won't allow that

Think I may purchase an overhead beach rod as mine's looking a little shabby now. Was looking at epirbs but they're dearer there

Will definitely get 50 of the top image at only a 70c each. They slay mackerel over there and I don't see why they wouldn't work here. They spin and flash as do the ones in the middle image. The bottom one is a flounder spoon that I found will work on flathead so I'll get a few of them too at only a dollar each

kev
    Last edited by kingtin; 27-05-2008 at 09:33 AM.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Hey Kev, I reckon our bass would gobble all of those lures....they look the goods !!!!

The middle spinners look like the old Celta trout lures we used when I was a kid. They worked well on bass/estuary perch and were probably the precursors to today's spinner baits I guess. I believe they also caught a lot of trout on downriggers in Jindabyne. Pedder etc.

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider1 View Post
    The middle spinners look like the old Celta trout lures we used when I was a kid. They worked well on bass/estuary perch and were probably the precursors to today's spinner baits I guess. I believe they also caught a lot of trout on downriggers in Jindabyne. Pedder etc.

Cheers

Dave
    Sure do look like celtas ....... still probably the best trout lure ( along with tassie devils & CD5 Rapalas)

Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by Little grey men View Post
    Hey Kev, I reckon our bass would gobble all of those lures....they look the goods !!!!
    The flounder spoon is really too big (about the size of a desert spoon). Although it can be used as a spinner bait, it is best cast out with a weight at least 2ft ahead of it and wound in very slowly. The weight knocks up puffs of sand and any fish investigating will see the spoon wobbling (not spinning due to the slow speed), and take the baited hook behind it. It is a killer method for all European flatt fish such as sole, flounder and plaice.

The mackerel spinner (top illustration)does just that, spins with the water pressure on the bent fin. It is often used on the bottom snood of a baited paternoster rig whereby when you reel in to check your bait, the spinner will take a mackerel or saltwater bass. I reckon they'd work well for tailor.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Yeah, Dave and Nagg. The middle ones are used mainly for sea trout but also take sea bass, mackerel and pollock. At those prices it's worth giving any of them a go over here.

How about these from Fladen of Sweden? A pack of 6 for the uk equivalent of only 10 bucks.

kev

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    No,I prefer to contribute to our own standard of living and support an Aussies wage instead of puting money in some foreigners pocket.......but each to their own.

So how does that work? Most of the products sold here are manufactured overseas and therefore even by buying them here we are creating jobs in other countries.

By importing direct from overseas we are just enabling ourselves to make the decision on how we spend it locally not giving it to an Aussie importer who adds no local content ( ≠ local employment) at all.

BTW, do you buy Coca Cola, any brand of outboard motor, dried figs, watch American TV programs, Arnotts biscuits, any brand of computer, cameras, pork, etc etc etc? Oh you do? Oh well - you are already "putting money in some foreigners pocket."

If the local importers did not add such huge margins to their minor value-added role of ordering the stock from overseas and distributing it here, none of us would be bothered to import fishing gear.

eg Anyone who has imported Scottys downriggers from Cabelas in the USA knows that they will get them landed to their door at 40% of the local price. That is the local mark-up is $300 on an product that is manufactured overseas and can be landed here from a US retailer for $200. What a local rip-off!!!

I just got bask from the US.. couldn't help but drop into a Boating Warehouse store.. They have them everywhere..

Just so happens that they sell Rapala X-raps (30 feet) and just so happens I could get three for the same price as one in Aus... Didn't take much to convince the wife that $35 (for 3 lures) was better than spending $110 plus.. Especially as I had lost one a couple of weeks earlier off Fraser..

I am happy to support an Aussie but there is no reason for a 200% price difference.. Especially with the dollar as it is now..

I have been trawling (read drooling) through the japanese tackle websites for weeks trying to decide how to spend my hard earned.

As a lot of people have mentioned the range is mind blowing and so are the prices - cheap that is.

In some cases you can buy a reel custom handles, bearings and knobs including shipping for less than the local price.

I find the saving on limited edition or ultra high end stuff (ito, i'ze and the like) not as great as the mid range stuff but still we are talking in some cases hundreds of dollars per rod/reel.

Since finding the o/s online stores, my next high end rod/reel will be bought o/s -combination of price and the range not locally available.
    I will however still buy lures, line and terminals locally.

Anyway back to day dreaming

Jm

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    So how does that work? Most of the products sold here are manufactured overseas and therefore even by buying them here we are creating jobs in other countries.

By importing direct from overseas we are just enabling ourselves to make the decision on how we spend it locally not giving it to an Aussie importer who adds no local content ( ≠ local employment) at all.

BTW, do you buy Coca Cola, any brand of outboard motor, dried figs, watch American TV programs, Arnotts biscuits, any brand of computer, cameras, pork, etc etc etc? Oh you do? Oh well - you are already "putting money in some foreigners pocket."

If the local importers did not add such huge margins to their minor value-added role of ordering the stock from overseas and distributing it here, none of us would be bothered to import fishing gear.

eg Anyone who has imported Scottys downriggers from Cabelas in the USA knows that they will get them landed to their door at 40% of the local price. That is the local mark-up is $300 on an product that is manufactured overseas and can be landed here from a US retailer for $200. What a local rip-off!!!

I know what he means ...... Even the local distributors/ agents & tackle stores employ Aussie people .... so there is a bit of support for locals ( just not in manufacturing)
    Having said that ...... The difference is just too significant , specially when my Prado now costs nearly $300 to fill ...... a $100 increase in one year
    So my fishing $ ..... has been shrinking

Nagg