Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navman fuel flow moniter questions

Talking Navman fuel flow moniter questions

I have a 135hp 2 stroke mariner and a 6500 trackfish, i keep reading different things about them. There must be a few types you can buy?
    How easy is the set up of them {do you fill up your tank and your and put it inline then your off?}
    I also have read they can be upto 10% out off your reading
    Cheers Chris
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Navman fuel flow moniter questions

Mate - they run a little laser transducer - with a turbine wheel. They work well. They are easy to set up - mane thing is not to squash the barbed fittings. They are easy to calibrate if they are a little out. No probs.
    Cheers

I have had one fitted on my Haines 680 for a while now. I had a few hassles originally with faulty transducer but Navman sorted that no worries. It has been used with two engines - 200hp Evinrude and 225 Etec.
    As Ozscott said -- easy to calibrate and once done can be accurate withing a few liters - fairly impressive. Where possible the transducer should be mounted in a verticle position to get most stable readings. They are not suitable for fuel injected motors (or carb for that matter) where the engine employs a fuel return as part of it's setup.

Shandos

Hi Spiro
    With calibration I have got mine to within 2%, and quite easy to do
    Station-rat

I run mine with a seperate head unit (ie a readout just for petrol) and I had to wire that up to come on only with ignition on otherwise as the boat moves around the fuel moves the transducer and it ticks over at a couple of litres per hour with the engine off...dont know how that all works though with the GPS/finder head unit..

Cheers

Hi fellas,
    Did you set it up as per the instuction manual or is there any tricks. I have just fitted one 2 my 130 Yamaha. Although havent set it up yet. The weather was too good .
    Cheers
    Whitey

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey81 View Post
    Hi fellas,
    Did you set it up as per the instuction manual or is there any tricks. I have just fitted one 2 my 130 Yamaha. Although havent set it up yet. The weather was too good .
    Cheers
    Whitey
    As per instruction manual -- but try to get the transducer vertical.

Shandos

I have one on my 702L using a Navman 6600 and a Suzuki DF250. I always check the accuracy when I fill my tanks against what the system said I used and it is always within a couple of litres. So if you are allowing a normal reserve of 10% to 20% of your total fuel quantity you should never have an issue.

Interestingly mine has always read a little above what the actual usage was, so at least this way it errs on the side of caution.

I wouldn't go without it now as I always use it to not only look at total consumption, but also to set the revs to the conditions and to see what fuel consumption I am getting at that point. It is real easy then to adjust speed to match the conditions but also to take into account the best fuel consumption.

that was my idea to get the best fuel consumption for the motor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

good move mate - with mine I find I can chew (on the instant L/hr readout) 10 litres more per hour for only another 4 knots when she is already at 4000rpm or so...

Yep gr8 gadget when all is set up right. Like others had endless problems with mine b4 having the transducer replaced and has worked like a dream since. Not real sure on accuracy, because I've never filled to top again after a day on the water, and at times a few slashes is all i put in but with a rough guide as to what I have put in inbetween fills, i reckon mine is very close to the mark.

Its operated on my sounder, FISH4600 and is in conjunction with a Tohatsu TLDI90

That is all i am looking for. A little bit of trim and what revs for best fuel consumption. Hopefully this weekend i will give it a go

bought one today off ebay fs25 don't know if i payed to much for it? brand new in box with warrenty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chris - r u sure u want to see how much the big Mariner is burning per hour - it might frighten you

I run a Northstar F210 mandatory to know your imediate fuel usage to gain the best economy in the current conditions. Really was amazing to see at what rpm was my best economy
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech