Thread: Barra Spin Sticks

Exclamation Barra Spin Sticks

Just wondering what spin sticks are out there for impoundment barra, I know that the Tcurve 2 piece out there but the 2 piece scars me a little. I would like to hear how well they throw light lures and stopping power

Re: Barra Spin Sticks

Adam, Have a look at the Egrell range. You won't be disapointed.

Wags

I recently bought a Loomis GL2 LR844 - a great little rod, rated at 10-20lb. At $250 its a good rod at a very reasonable price in my opinion. I have caught a few 8-9kg longtails on it recently and it went very well. I've been using 3/8 - 1/2oz TT Lead heads with 5 inch gulps and snap backs on 20lb braid. Casts well and has the guts to stop quite big fish.
    Matt C
    Last edited by Matt_Campbell; 26-05-2008 at 09:37 AM.

I dont see any problem with 2 piece rods in this weight range. the T-Curve powerspin 5-10kg rod is and ideal size for Barra. the over all length is 6'7" and it has a mid length butt so it is comfortable to use when working lures for Barra. Most rods in this power rating have a longer butt which gets in the way when working lures, the Powerspin ends up have the same length from the reel seat to the tip as most 7' spin rods so your not really giving much away as far as casting abilities go with the shorther 6'7" rod.
    I have a Catana 6'8" that is set up the same as the T-curve and I also have a Pfleuger president 7' 4-7kg that will get a run on the next trip to mondy....we'll see how it goes.

Cheers Roo.

All depends on $$ you want to spend.
    The Egrell range is awesome. they are actually working on a new 6' rod. I had the chance to use the prototype for a while and it is great. If you look in the freshwater report section Eric has written a report, Debs first 1m barra on 6' spin.
    Any of the rods from the range 6kg and up will be perfect. Designed and built for barra in mind. Athough they would be good for all types of allround fishing.

Again it depends on budget. I cant really comment on too many other rods, but there are some pretty good value for money rods amongst the shimano, daiwa and berkley dropshot range that would survive barra impoundment work.....or wild ones!!.

steve

I agree with Steve B - it really depends on your budget.

At the lower end Berkley produce a 6' and a 6'8" spin stick designed for barra. Both are rated 6 - 10kg and are priced under $130. I have used both and am very happy with the results - barra up to 114cm landed without problem!

Egrell Bear S10H is a 7' spin stick that will set you back around $380 - $400. No idea what the new 6' spin stick will cost! I am planning to get a S10H shortly and will trial it at Monduran later this year!

All of these can be found at Tackle Warehouse, Coorparoo.

Hope this helps.

Regs

Pete

Have already got the guys at the Warehouse to put me an egrell barra stick aside for when they arrive either late this week or early next. Can't wait for barra season.....

Another one is the Daiwa Catalina Stick 6' 8" jig rod. Rated at PE3 it is a great soft plastic impoundment barra. I also like the Egrell range

Thanks for all your help guys, should have listed a price range. Love the loomis rods and black diamonds. I allready have a couple off loomis 756 crankbaits and a 665 gl3, orsome rods would love a 6'6 or 7' spin stick to add to the collection. Price range will be up to the $500 mark. Love to cast lite weighted plastics and hard bodies with long casts. I also know that sometime you don't need to spend alot of cash to get a quility rod.
    Last edited by AdamB; 26-05-2008 at 09:44 PM.

hey AdamB check out the 6'6 4-7kg in the clear cut range, i hear they are very good and handle what you are chasing.

agree with ya Pete, Ive got a berkley 6' with a kix 3000 that I give to the vistors when a baitcaster is a bit to much, nice little stick for the money, more suited to the open stuff me thinks, it saw some nice fish doing a bit of basin trolling
    cheers
    brian

axle05 where did you buy your rod from, i have a mate that had one and it was a beautiful rod, but broke it with some very ordinary rod work, made me cry watching it.

Thumbs up Re: Barra Spin Sticks

I agree with roo, don't be put by the 2 piece rods. I have had a 2 piece tcurve power spin for about 12 months. I bought it specifically for casting lures at barra in central queensland, from the fitzroy to awoonga. I have caught 2 barra and a king salmon over the meter mark. I have been also been using it for mackeral. Its has become the first rod I pack now.

It performs beautifully and I have no problems recommending it. Spending those sort of dollars on a rod, I appreciate being able to keep the rod in its cover and in the car instead of bouncing around in my boat.

Peter

Egrell, Eric has done plenty of testing of his rods on Impoundment Barra