Thread: New Baitcast Reel

New Baitcast Reel

Hi guys

I am currently looking for a new baitcast reel. I am looking to spend ~$250, the reels i am looking at are the Daiwa HSTA, Daiwa HRF, or the Shimano Curado 200. I already have a HSTA and was looking for anyones oppinion regarding this reels barra abilities (it has not faulted me yet, i was just a bit concerned about its spool capacity, or would either of the other two mentioned be better, or for that matter another reel not listed. This reel will be matched to an 8kg Penn Pinpoint rod for use trolling and casting to murray cod, and will also get a run on my annual barra trip, again trolling and casting.
    Just as a side note, does anyone know if Shimano still makes the 6-8kg raider baitcast rod as it is not listed on their website.

Thanks
    Aadam

Re: New Baitcast Reel

Aadam,

I have 2 of the 153HSTA (supertuned) and a Zillion. I rate the HSTA's higher, especially for a couple of hundy$ less.

Dont worry about barra, they handle them easilly. I am still using standard drags, with 50lb braid.....have not even looked like getting spooled on fish well over the metre mark.. They will do the trick just fine
    HRF has same drag system, not quite as smooth (less bearings), or sexy looking.
    Curado 200, had one, liked it too, sweet casting. It caught pretty good barra too. Not sure about the drags in them nowdays, but probably on par with the daiwas. A lot of blokes use them, dont hear too many complaints.

Hope this helps cheers Steve
    Last edited by Steve B; 23-05-2008 at 09:10 AM.

Check out the Abu Garcia Revo range.

mate wyldfisher is on the money. the abu garcia revo sx is a awsome little reel. i have one i used when i went to moduran . landed 2 big barra and was very happy with the drag. cheers nick

Quote Originally Posted by WyldFisher View Post
    Check out the Abu Garcia Revo range.
    the boys are right, the Abu's are a great reel. I just sold my STX. Tough little reels. Personally, I don't think they are quite as smooth as the daiwas, but the drag is bigger...much bigger....12kg out of the box....but honestly, you dont need that much drag for barra in the dams. I found I had to back the drag off significantly because I was pulling too many hooks.

steve

I think that the Team Daiwa Advantage 153hsta is the best value reel on the market, cast well, good standard drag, and plenty off line capacity. Yes there are better reels on the market but generaly you can have 2 of these for the price of one of them.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

From your responses and my experience in aready owning one, i will probably end up getting another Daiwa HSTA and load it with 50lb braid, however i will also check out the revo series (although my local shop doesnt sell these so ill have to wait till i can get my hands on one elsewhere)
    Does anyone know what kit (if any) of the Erskine Carbontex washers fits into the HSTA, and also if this would be worthwhile considering how smooth the factory drag is already.

Thanks Again
    Aadam

AAdam, if you look on jacks site, I think its daiwa kit#1.

That kit suits all advantage reels I beleive. I have ordered sets for mine, but havent got them yet. I will post here ASAP after they arrive if that is right....I hope thats the right set anyway.

I am only doing mine because they are due...the current drags have copped a hiding over the past year. I just figured I would get the upgrade because they need doing anyway. If you dont, you will still be fine....just wait until you need to do it in the future.

cheers steve
    Last edited by Steve B; 26-05-2008 at 09:10 AM.

Steve,

thanks, it looks like the #1 kit will fit, i was just not sure if all advantage reels had the same drag system. I am looking to put them into the reel i already have, and depending on the difference it makes as to whether i put them into a new reel. Just out of interest, are you putting new metal washers in as well or only the carbon ones.

Aadam

Aadam.

at this stage, I am only getting the carbontex drags, not the metal lapped washers. I have spoken to a few blokes who reckon thats all you need. Depending on performance. I may do that next time.

cheers steve