Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sunnies???

Re: Sunnies???

any lens can delaminate. the cause for delamination is moisture getting inbetween the layers of glass where the polarized layer is. this happens when the lens isn't sealed properly...

An example of how many layers make up a lens.. Polycarbonate lenses on average have 11 layers to make up the lens, glass with have about 9. The only reason why polycarbonate lenses have more layers is that they get an added hardner coat which is to help stop them from scratching or, showing the scratches as quickly.

Janelle, i think you might be suprised with the new range of spotters sunglasses on the market for women. they have some really nice new styles in their range which i'm sure you'd like. www.spotters.com.au

My background in sunglasses is the result of selling them over the past 8 years. I get all the training and knowledge for all the reps, but the opinions i give on sunglasses in this thread is purely my own, no one is paying me to say what i say.

"As with the $250 is too much for me" comment.. like ifishcq mentioned, i too am lucky and working in a family owned business, i don't have to pay for my sunglasses. by far spotters have been the most durable... you couldn't draw a line between the mako and spotters lens to look through, but mako's just seam to have problems. Maui Jims are very good and i've had several pairs of these. I think i'm on my 3rd pair of spotters. 1st pair got flogged, 2nd pair went me 5 1/2yrs until i gave them to the local surfboard maker 2 years ago who still has them to date, and my current ones now are 2 years old.

sunglass lens colour is a personal choice, but one I try and inform the customer of the pro's and cons. as with lens type... polycarbonate to glass.

sales is something i enjoy and i give this information out freely as i would if someone approached me in the shop... thats what i'm there for..

i'll continue to monitor this thread and clear up any misconceptions people mention and point everyone in the right direction, and if you have any technical questions don't hesitate to ask...

LOL. unfortunately i know just about everything there is to know about sunglasses LOL.

Another thing i like to mention to people about "what sunglasses REALLY do in terms of protection.... picture this.

When your out fishing and you don't put sun cream on, it doesn't take long for your skin to burn... So if your skin is burning from the UV radiation "what is happening to your eyes"????

BR65 if you want a floating pair of sunglasses look at the Mako Surface..... they float and have a polycarbonate lens ...

I certainly dont see my sunnies as a fishing fashion accessory ....... In fact I think my current Makos are pretty ugly ( specially on my head ) ....... However they are more practical than my previous pair of higher priced light weight metal framed polarised Makos & Ray Bans! All cost heaps! ..... but only one has lasted much better! ....... & offers greater glare resistance! ( Mako Barra 2)

Nagg

I recently outlayed a heap of money on a pair of Drivesafe lenses (presription) in Rayban frames (only because my cousin works for OPSM and got me some 50% off vouchers) that according to the OPSM consultant were the best on the market - Im a sales rep so Im on the road a lot. I wanted these for driving so I could keep my ugly spotters for fishing. The upshot is.....I prefer my script spotters penetrators over these other lenses anyday.....both for driving and fishing. I used to own a tackle shop, and had the choice of all of the 'fishing' sunnies. after trying them all out....I chose the Spotters. Since I have sold the shop, I have bought two more pairs of spotters.......so i dont have any allegiances to them other than my confidence in the product - and that is over a period of 14 years. And Spotters seem to do a better job of getting the script right than the optical companies do with my general wear glasses! All I can say is.....if you wear script eyewear....give the spotters a go. (no im not a sales rep for spotters....I sell timber)

Cheers
    Greg

Nagg, forget my smart ass remark before, there is nothing personal I respect your opinions

SL
    IFISHCQ2

Quote Originally Posted by ifishcq1 View Post
    Nagg, forget my smart ass remark before, there is nothing personal I respect your opinions

SL
    Not a problem ....... I actually feel very strongly on eyecare ( I will require surgery in the next few years ...... because of sun damage when I was younger) ....... I wish I had good advice during my teens & early twenties! ( Hence my views with regard to youngsters like Keechie)

Nagg

Local Guy - I agree Spotters have some nice new ladies frames- which is why I wear my Spotters when I am going out or going to work. Having said that I am not a fan of the rhinestone thing that is in at the moment. Spotters are great (I have 4) but it all depends on your face shape. The latest Spotters glasses for girls don't fit my face (I have high cheek bones and the light comes up under the frame). It is my HiDefSpex that aren't particularly "girly", but win hands down for fishing.

As to delaminating my suggestion is don't leave your sunglasses in your car, especially on the dash or lying on the boat. Spotters will not warranty glasses that they feel have been exposed to excessive heat. But I guess this all comes down to caring for your glasses - from personal experience you shouldn't leave them on the car seat either (no fun when you sit on them).

Your eyes are important. From a family of people who always end up wearing glasses in old age I am all for good sunglasses, eye exercises and regular eye rest breaks and variations in focussing distance (eg if I am doing close up work grading stones I stop every 10 - 15 mins and focus on something on the other side of the room) and regular eye checks. My one and three year old children wear sunglasses too.

Hi All

about a year ago maybe longer, I contacted Ausfish member darren[2dknb] who is obviously in the industry. For less than half the price of others he substituted my perscription (2.0) graduated lens into a pair of Okaley wrap around sunnies in Bronze lens tint that I wear all day every day. On a trip to the States last year I purchased 2 extra pair of perscription sunnies but they are not a patch on the pair modified by Darren. If you are in the market give him a PM and check the prices ) you will be suprise

Murray

Haven't read all of this thread as there are many quality but lengthy responses.

From personal experience, I bought a pair of Jarvus Walker sunnies a couple of years back that I still have from ######### (the name got edited after this was originally posted .... but if you want to send me a PM I'll let you know that way)

I was a little hesitant when I first got them as they were just under 50 bucks and realised that supposedly you don't get anything for nothing, but these are the ducks guts!

They are semi wrap around, copper coloured polarised lenses, are UV quality and all the rest and to top that off they also float. Best of the lot when I bought them they also threw in one of those neoprene glasses head bands, which makes it even harder to loose. Got to be happy with that!!

Cheers
    Greg
    Last edited by Fatenhappy; 24-05-2008 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Stabin View Post
    never herd of them, anymore info on them Benny?

http://www.hidefspex.com/home.html

There is only a couple of places that stock them in Brisbane.

I have used the Polaroid brand aviator style sunnies since when in my late teens I finally found out eye strain on the water was the premium cause of my migraines later in the day.
    That was in the 80s -boy there was some crap 'trendy' sunnies around in those days - promised the earth but delivered a paralyzing headache instead.
    Been wearing the polaroids ever since without fail will forget my wallet before the sunnies anyway to this day I still have yet to try a another pair of sunnies that was worth the extra coin - as a tool the $50 polaroids may not be snap-on but still chrome vandium none the less.

IMO no need to spend heaps on a a pair as so far I have yet to be put to shame spotting fish or sea floor by any flash set of sunnies and besides what mate would actually look at the style of glass you wear...well any mate that a bloke wouldn't feel a little uncomfortable having on board 20km from civilisation!!

cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 24-05-2008 at 04:21 PM.

I have 3 pairs of sunnies in use at present
    1)Ugly fish Riderz, these have a removeable gasket back which keeps the cold wind out of your eyes in winter, brilliant however not the ultimate lens by any stretch of the imagination, I use these most of the time.
    2) Mako 9458 KZT's
    I wear these mainly offshore, blue tint polarised glass lens, simply awesome but expensive.
    3) Prescription sunnies with polarized lenses for driving.

The best set i have ever owned were a set of Wiley-X sunnies, made in the USA they also had the gasket back and come in all combos of glass/poly and tint shades, used mainly in military circles they are first class and around cost from around $200-500.

All have different purposes and are used as such and as the "better" glasses are not flogged to death they have an excellent service life.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    I tend to drop glasses over the side of the boat lanyard or not, these are so far the best glasses Ive ever owned brian
    You could always get a pair of floating sunglass straps, the ones I know of are at sunprotection.com.au but I'm sure they wouldn't be the only ones.