Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sunnies???

Re: Sunnies???

I've got a pair of 'mako' polarised sunnies, they have blue glass lenses and are great, Ive had them for years now and still wear them fishing......they set me back $250 at the time. I'm not too sure if thats within your budget, but if it is they are worth it

if i was looking for a set of glasses, i would want to have a chat to darren[2dknb] he has just made a set of progressive lenses to fit my mako frames, bloody terrific. great bloke as well. cheers ian

Quote Originally Posted by Keechie View Post
    hi everyone, i am after a pair of sunnies and not sure what to get. i will use these for spotting fish and protect my eyes from sinkers and the sun. i believe that there is different colour lenses for different waterways? all help appreciated.

regards,
    keechie
    Good on you Keechie look after your eyes now and u should not have to many problems as you get older, Get Aust Approved Polariod wraparounds and u will be in business...... Im the other end of the spectrum Have wraparound polariod sunnies with prescription lenses $258.00 later the protection continues.....Cheers Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by ifishcq1 View Post
    Nagg do you sell sunnies ... what a load of crap.. if the sunnies meet Aus standards they are of standard no matter where you buy them or how much and yes check the standards sticker on them and they come up as good as your dear ones.. fact

SL
    just to claifiy these comments. The Australian standard only relates to the lens providing 100% UV protection thats it. It does not take into account how crap the frame is or type of lens quality. It could be a piece of s**t lens, but still comply to the australian standards.

as for other comments regarding spotters. Amber and Photochromic lens are 2 different lenses. Amber is yellow/brown Photochromic is Copper.

as for prescription sunglasses ...... spotters make a prescription lens, price ranging between $370 and $490 depending on type of lens material and type of script wanted. This can be done by getting your scripts details written down from your optomotrist and going into your nerest speciality store. ie Bright Eyes Sunglasses, finding the style u want and having your script and sunglass choice faxed away. A few weeks later you will have your brand new script Spotters sunglasses made just for you and useless to someone who decides to flog it. Ontop of this, you can claim these as medical benefits. If you store is not capable or couldn't be bothered to do this, please contact me and i'll put u in touch with our store... we will certainly help you out.

Oakley sunlgasses in my opinion are the biggest waste of money for a polarized sunglass on the market. sure they look nice, but the lens just does not compare to something specifically made for protecting you againt the glare like other brands... spotters, mako and maui jim.

I personally don't like mako. we see too many lenses delaminating with their product and i've heard stories that Maui Jims delaminate in darwin.. I have never seen a spotters sunglass delaminate, nor can remember the last time i had one in for repair due to a manufacturing defect.. it was always because the customer had done something to the sunnies to hurt them.

Australian Cancer Council sunglasses are actually quite good for the price.. But remember if you look after your sunglasses a pair of $200 sunglasses is going to last you inexcess of 4years which is only $50 / year. where as a $50 pair may break within 6 months, 12 if you really look after it, but over 4 years, this can easilly equate to $400 worth of sunglasses.

hope this has helped clear a few misconceptions up

go the mako with photochromatic lenses. the best i've ever had. END!!!!!!!

shane

Thanks to those that sent me pm's regarding my need for a prescription pair of sunnies, will definately look into it.

I now have a pair of Hidefspex. Hands down best sunnies I have ever owned!!! The clarity from there lenses is fantastic, better than Spotters IMO.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Bennywise View Post
    I now have a pair of Hidefspex. Hands down best sunnies I have ever owned!!! The clarity from there lenses is fantastic, better than Spotters IMO.

Ben
    never herd of them, anymore info on them Benny?

Quote Originally Posted by ifishcq1 View Post
    Nagg do you sell sunnies ... what a load of crap.. if the sunnies meet Aus standards they are of standard no matter where you buy them or how much and yes check the standards sticker on them and they come up as good as your dear ones.. fact

SL

SL Q: Do you sell sunnies

Nagg A : No !

However I am surrounded by several family members & friends that either work as Opthamologists (x2) , sell lasers into the eye surgery industry (x1) or a couple that work for one of the largest eye clinics in Sydney ........ I ask a lot of questions & do my homework ........ Not to mention 25 years of practical fishing from alpine streams , salt water flats & bluewater!

Do you know what the Australian Standard actually refers to ??
    AS/NZS 1067: 2003 actually pass fashion lenses ( Category 1) because they filter out 95% of UVR
    I use category 3 ...... extra protection from UV radiation & sun-glare!
    Category 4 ...... is basically industrial.

Now filtering is only 1 factor
    polarisation is another
    Distortion free is yet another ( a big one)

Now I can tell you categorically ...... I'm yet to see ( sorry) find a cheap pair that will meet all of these points satisfactorily ...... Let alone come up to the standard of the quality glasses that I have owned

NOW ...... THESE ARE REAL FACTS!

Nagg

PS ...... Another member "Mighty Whitey" is given sunnies through work ( Australian Standard) ........ He gave them the flick after he tried a pair of my Makos ....... FACT! He then bought a pair of Ugly Fish ......... & still complained that he could not see fish that I was spotting with my Makos ! ( He called his a piece of Crap when he tried on mine) ........ FACT!

Quote Originally Posted by Local_Guy View Post
    just to claifiy these comments. The Australian standard only relates to the lens providing 100% UV protection thats it. It does not take into account how crap the frame is or type of lens quality. It could be a piece of s**t lens, but still comply to the australian standards.

as for other comments regarding spotters. Amber and Photochromic lens are 2 different lenses. Amber is yellow/brown Photochromic is Copper.

as for prescription sunglasses ...... spotters make a prescription lens, price ranging between $370 and $490 depending on type of lens material and type of script wanted. This can be done by getting your scripts details written down from your optomotrist and going into your nerest speciality store. ie Bright Eyes Sunglasses, finding the style u want and having your script and sunglass choice faxed away. A few weeks later you will have your brand new script Spotters sunglasses made just for you and useless to someone who decides to flog it. Ontop of this, you can claim these as medical benefits. If you store is not capable or couldn't be bothered to do this, please contact me and i'll put u in touch with our store... we will certainly help you out.

Oakley sunlgasses in my opinion are the biggest waste of money for a polarized sunglass on the market. sure they look nice, but the lens just does not compare to something specifically made for protecting you againt the glare like other brands... spotters, mako and maui jim.

I personally don't like mako. we see too many lenses delaminating with their product and i've heard stories that Maui Jims delaminate in darwin.. I have never seen a spotters sunglass delaminate, nor can remember the last time i had one in for repair due to a manufacturing defect.. it was always because the customer had done something to the sunnies to hurt them.

Australian Cancer Council sunglasses are actually quite good for the price.. But remember if you look after your sunglasses a pair of $200 sunglasses is going to last you inexcess of 4years which is only $50 / year. where as a $50 pair may break within 6 months, 12 if you really look after it, but over 4 years, this can easilly equate to $400 worth of sunglasses.

hope this has helped clear a few misconceptions up
    As far as I know ( & I may be wrong) ...... glass lenses do not de laminate ( photochromic pigment is incorporated into the glass) ........ Polycarbonate is layered
    Makos do make a grey photo chromatic lens ( Sleek range)

Nagg
    Attachment 27464 ..... My Mako ( Photo-chromatic) ....... Amber or Copper ???

I collect Sunnies - currently 4 Spotters (3 x penetrator lens, 1 x grey lens), 1 Ugly Fish and 1 HiDefSpex (and they are just the ones I have for fishing). By far the best for fishing are the HiDefSpex. Was sceptical to start with but you can really tell the difference. The water beads off them too and the BIG bonus is they are ultra light and not as heavy as my spotters. They come with a floating lanyard too.

The big plus when I first got them was that they offer a lifetime warranty on the frame and you only pay $60 to replace a lens if you scratch it. (and after sitting on a couple of pairs and having my son break the arm off a pair of my spotters that was a big attraction). They don't really have any "girly" frames though so I still wear my Spotters for driving and if I am going out.

(HiDefSpex were originally designed for Shooters - so they are bullet proof and I am guessing sinker proof- though I am not offering to test that theory. I think they are an American company made in Italy but you could try googling them)

Scott Nth Qld - you should really look at HiDefSpex prescriptions - they are about the $470 mark and they can do progressive scripts, again big bonus is they are very light. Spotters also do prescription glasses but not all scripts can be done in every frame so if you decide to do Spotters you are better off getting your script sent to Spotters and they can tell you which frames you can chose from rather than spending the time picking the frame and then finding you can't do that one.

Tunaticer - Spotters do lots of yellow lenses - HiDefSpex don't but they do a 16% Pol which lets more light through for early morning, low light fishing. Their normal ones are 8%.

Hope that helps, Ultimately some sunglasses are better than none and I have to agree with NAGG better lenses certainly make a difference when sight fishing.

sorry posted twice
    Last edited by Janelle; 23-05-2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: somehow posted twice

Sounds like trying to justify spending big on a fashion accessary to me I use all different types and half of them I get sponsered,, The longest lasting ones I have are bolle polarised safety glasses paid for by work in blue mirror and they are spot on for sightcasting or jigging spanish they are worth $30 ,, a pair of sunsafe polarised in light brown are my favourite creek sunnies.. I have mako. spotters . maui jims and stalkers ... they are all good but the cost verses breakage and loss factors into what the average guy can get... so instead of mine are prettier than yours check them out individually and look at all the tests done and you may be surprised

SL
    IFISHCQ2

Despite the fact I have a lot of sunglasses I don't consider them just a fashion accessory. My eyes are an important asset. As a gemmologist if my vision suffers in any way or my eyes are fatigued then my judgement suffers and that means $ to me. I also commute a lot and vision on the highway is important in wet or low light conditions. I agree that some cheap sunglasses do the job but I also value long term wear and as someone else said cheap is not always cheap in the long run. I still have spotters glasses I bought over 8 years ago that I wear today. Good Economy in my opinion.

I do work hard for my money too and from personal experience I know which of my glasses are better for me to wear on each day and in each condition.

Glasses are personal and what suits one person may not suit another. EG my sister can't wear my spotters because she gets a head ache. She has a pair of Ugly Fish that cost her $60 and she loves them.

SL, I spend a bit on sunnies for fishing, and its not because they are a fashion item, or look prettier than some one elses, its because Ive owned cheap stuff before, usually for work, and they scratch, break and distort, just not worth buying as you are throwing good money after bad IMO.

Ive had bolles, sport optics, makos, spotters (x3) and am now on my third pair of Maui Jims, yes I am clumsey and tend to drop glasses over the side of the boat lanyard or not, these are so far the best glasses Ive ever owned
    cheers
    brian