Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much fish is enough to eat?

Red face How much fish is enough to eat?

Gday men,

i was just wondering...with so many pics of the ever popular 1 + meter barra, how many of these get eaten? what i'm getting at is, is there a point in a fishes' life where their meat doesnt taste any good anymore? Especially the impoundmented ones?

John

Re: How much fish is enough to eat?

i dont know about barra, but with flatties i do believe that they change their flavour over a certain size
    Therefore i only keep them under 55ish and over 45.

neil

If you cook them right the bigger ones taste great . Sorry to go against the grain but my partner cooked up a mowie the other night about 2 kilo's and my eyebrows shot up at the first mouthful......wow. Over 60cm flatties taste great if cooked right but if you want to let those females go .... let them go. Be nice to have something left for the Grandchildren .

if there salty ones i dont think u can go wrong but id let the mud suckers go.

I wouldnt trade a barra foer a feed of crumbed whiting for anything.Besides which barra can be pretty silly so you can catch them again the next day if you want.though im not sure if this is the case with impoundment fish?
    chewy......

thanks for all your feedback fellas.
    John

Personally impondment barra taste like crap so after a mate kept one years ago when we found out, all the rest have gone back.

Pity the cold weather last year made a mockery of catch and release by killing literally thousands of barra

never tasted saltwater barra, but I agree with others that DAM barra tastes like MUD. I tried a small one around 65cm a few years back. I reckon anyone who thinks they taste good either doesn't eat good quality saltwater fish very often or smothers it with other flavours.

Jeremy

personal choice . I love the tast of impoundment barra . I keep the ones which are hooked quite bady and i feel there chance of survival is slim. Example Treble caught in the gills or on in the eye of the fish. As they gill the lure I find they get hooked in the eyes quite often. One fish gives about 28-30 steaks which are skined and boned . Steaks are cooked on the bbq in foil. And they freeze well to . But evey body is different.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny roger View Post
    Gday men,

i was just wondering...with so many pics of the ever popular 1 + meter barra, how many of these get eaten? what i'm getting at is, is there a point in a fishes' life where their meat doesnt taste any good anymore? Especially the impoundmented ones?

John
    JR, dont forget the ladies mate, there are some gun female anglers on here as well

I would think that most of the big girls you see pictured in fresh water reports section are released to fight another day, generally speaking those who regularly are succesfull with meteries plus are smart anglers who want to look after the resource they enjoy.
    Taste wise, I cant help there, all mine have gone back, though I would think the bigger the impoundment barra, the worse the eating experience. I saw a meter=+haveing the fillets knocked off it at the ramp at Mondy one nite, didnt look that great to me

cheers
    brian

Quote Originally Posted by johnny roger View Post
    Gday men,

John
    Hi jonny roger
    My name is bazz i fished for Barra with my brother at mondi a couple of weeks ago for the first time and caught some big barra 107cm for me 98cm for my brother all the fish we caught were released. But we were told that the fish stocking group wanted the real big Barra out of the dam as they beleived that thay are eating the figerling. I met a fisherman there who was filiting a big Barra, i brought a few lures of him and he droped off a fillet at our camp site. we cooked up the fish and ate it, i would not say that it tasted muddy but it was very bland it tasted like a pice of fish you brought in a fish shop. But spiced up and put in afoil and cooked it tasted fine. Bazz

No me to Brian,
    Wont keep one for the table, just some thing about them that i couldn't bring myself to do it. But hey i am not saying its wrong or bad just not my choice, so please dont make this into a debate about catch and release versus catch and keep!!!!!
    Cheers
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by bazz View Post
    Hi jonny roger
    My name is bazz i fished for Barra with my brother at mondi a couple of weeks ago for the first time and caught some big barra 107cm for me 98cm for my brother all the fish we caught were released. But we were told that the fish stocking group wanted the real big Barra out of the dam as they beleived that thay are eating the figerling. I met a fisherman there who was filiting a big Barra, i brought a few lures of him and he droped off a fillet at our camp site. we cooked up the fish and ate it, i would not say that it tasted muddy but it was very bland it tasted like a pice of fish you brought in a fish shop. But spiced up and put in afoil and cooked it tasted fine. Bazz
    Bazz,

I am part of the stocking assoc and you are right they do promote the 'removal' of big fish. However, I DONT support this theory or, wherever they get their info from to encourage killing of big fish.

I will say this...If someone wants to keep a fish for a feed....I am TOTALLY happy with their decision. If they like it good. If not, then they will probably C&R in the future. Its everyones right (within laws) to do so, thats what they are stocked for...BUT I get really ANGRY when blokes chuck them in the bin whole or dump them on the bank because they THINK they are doing the right thing for the stocking group and the impoundment by killing big fish for no other reason than the a myth that they eat fingerlings.

In short, if you want to eat one for a feed....cool go ahead
    DONT kill big fish because someone has told you to do it, with no credible evidence to support there reasoning.

cheers steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Bazz,

I am part of the stocking assoc and you are right they do promote the 'removal' of big fish. However, I DONT support this theory or, wherever they get their info from to encourage killing of big fish.

I will say this...If someone wants to keep a fish for a feed....I am TOTALLY happy with their decision. If they like it good. If not, then they will probably C&R in the future. Its everyones right (within laws) to do so, thats what they are stocked for...BUT I get really ANGRY when blokes chuck them in the bin whole or dump them on the bank because they THINK they are doing the right thing for the stocking group and the impoundment by killing big fish for no other reason than the a myth that they eat fingerlings.

In short, if you want to eat one for a feed....cool go ahead
    DONT kill big fish because someone has told you to do it, with no credible evidence to support there reasoning.

cheers steve
    I can't remeber where i read it but it must have been some where up at monduran. But i could not kill such a big fish thats why we let them go, but i might be temted to keep a small one if i ran out of money and food Thanks Steve
    Cheers Bazz

[quote=BR65;827203]JR,
    generally speaking those who regularly are succesfull with meteries plus are smart anglers who want to look after the resource they enjoy.

Br65 If all fish where caught and then put back into the dam then all you would would have is a glorified fish farm where anybody can chuck in a line and catch a fish. So then not only the SMART ANGLARS would catch a fish but any old hack would be able to. Where would the sport and fun in the hunt come from then. Busting your hump throwing lures all day for one fish can be more rewarding than catching 6 or more in a dream session. Not only the smartanglers look after the resource Alot of people do. Question- With the monduran barra comp which is on in october how many fish are kept over that period and if hundreds are kept isn't a comp like that detrimental to the resourse? if so why is it run? Not trying to be a smart a here just i get frustrated about people that don't break the law and are made out to be the bad guys destroying a resource like monduran.
    I can also see the point of view of poeple that put lots of there own spare time into the dam stocking and why they have such a high feeling of ownership in it.