Thread: Brisbane Fly spots

Brisbane Fly spots

Can anyone give me an idea where freashwater and saltwater fly fishing spots are available in Brisbane? (close to Ormiston). I would appreciate any details on fishing clubs or groups that challenge this area for any species on fly.

Re: Brisbane Fly spots

Hi Thomas,
    I live just up the road to youe self at Wellington Point. I am a member of the Southeast Queensland Fly fishers on the Goldy. Our club meeting is tonight at 6.30. There are many options for fly fishing down your way. Hillards creek mouth, access by canoe from the up stream park, is a a productive area. The west channel enterance to the raby bay can fish well wading the west edges on the last of the run out tide. The flats at themouth of tinny creek is a good one. And check out the eastern end of the lake at soveron waters at wellington point when the southeasters are off the boil.
    Tonight is casting lessons on the bowling green at the club. Lessons are free and we have a sausage sizzle if you need tucker. I will be trying to leave home by 5.30 if you would like to come down with me. Just drop me a pm as to pick you up if you woud like to have a gecko at the club night.
    Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the info I will only be moving to the area at the end of the month but I would most definetly like to join the Southeast Queensland Fly fishers. I only land in Brisbane on the 28 May so I should be ready to challenge the water by the weekend of the 30th (Friday). How can I get hold of you when I arrive or contact the SQFF.

Tight lines.
    Thomas.

Hi Thomas,
    Just flick me a pm when you are settled in. All tyhe best with the move.
    Jeff

Coming back into Morton Bay from offshore and steaming up the Rainbow Passage around low tide, you have got to think that those sandbanks to your right have got to be a flats fishing paradise when the weather is right!

You would need a suitable flats style, shallow draft boat, but they just have to be a flyfisher target I would reckon!\. And you have one of the main fish highways in the Bay right beside them for chasing pelagics etc.

Anyone fished them regularly?

Cheers

Dave

Dave,
    I have fond memories of a few days casting small plastics over the area you mentioned. Also over some of the ground south east end of the small ships gutter(half tide gutter). At that time the flathead were schooled and on the chew. Have been thinking is time to do some prospecting with clousers and small foam surface flies.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by bassbuster View Post
    Hi Thomas,
    I live just up the road to youe self at Wellington Point. I am a member of the Southeast Queensland Fly fishers on the Goldy. Our club meeting is tonight at 6.30. There are many options for fly fishing down your way. Hillards creek mouth, access by canoe from the up stream park, is a a productive area. The west channel enterance to the raby bay can fish well wading the west edges on the last of the run out tide. The flats at themouth of tinny creek is a good one. And check out the eastern end of the lake at soveron waters at wellington point when the southeasters are off the boil.
    Tonight is casting lessons on the bowling green at the club. Lessons are free and we have a sausage sizzle if you need tucker. I will be trying to leave home by 5.30 if you would like to come down with me. Just drop me a pm as to pick you up if you woud like to have a gecko at the club night.
    Jeff

Do You mean the flats outside of Tingalpa Creek?
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG