Thread: Borumba Toga's

Borumba Toga's

While I'm at it, I might as well ask what is the best fly to use on Saratoga at Borumba?

I have caught them on spinnerbaits at Borumba, but never on fly!

Cheers

CCFISHER

Re: Borumba Toga's

Hi CCFISHER,
    I have only fished Burumba once where we were targeting toga on fly for the weekend. That was the Variety Childrens Toga on Fly Comp last year.The toga had a touch of lock jaw that weekend with luck and skill playing an equal part in the toga caught.
    The surface scene early and late is a good bet with your dahlbergs and the like. Don't hold back from the more timbered areas. When the sun is higher try your vampire and woolly bugger patterns out. Place your fly close to the larger standing timber and allow your fly decend slowly to the bottom. If the toga are circling the tree looking for tucker you are in with a show. Don't leave your gurglers at home as they often produce off the shallow grassy banks and around the shaded overhangs. Jeremy Wakelin is putting together the Variety Toga Comp on for the 27th and 28th of Septerber this year. Keep this one free as he puts together a cracker weekend. Send me a PM if I can help out. I live at Wellington Point and am a member of the Southeast Queensland Fly Fishers. Also Chris and the lads from the Sunshine Coast Fly Fisher know this spot well.

Jeff.

CCFISHER,
    I see on an eallier thread that you touched base with Jeremy with an enquire on bass flies for burumba. Both those flies that jeremy mentioned will produce Toga as well. Shoot Jeremy a PM for further info on toga at burumba. Top bloke and he knows this area well.

Jeff

Thanks for the Plug Jeff , I reckon you hit the nail on the head . Walking the bank is my preferred option I have stalked Toga from the bank waiting for that perfect shot for up to half an hour , sight casting is the go but you will never see them if they can see you.
    As far as flies my mate Andy I go to borumba with regularly brought this furry mess of a flie along one day and asked him what he called it and he said dunno , at the end of the day he pinned a crap load of toga with it . the pattern is on our club website just click on the link in my signature and go to fly patterns , the click on "Andy's Toga Destroyer" , they love em . I caught that 90 cm tank in the photo section on here with one in the middle of winter, it's worth having a couple with you

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

Thanks guys for your advice. It looks like "Murphy" has stepped in and turned the rain on but we'll probaby still go anyway. I just hope a bit of rain will bring 'em on the chew!

Cheers

CCFISHER

With the rain we're getting here at the moment, the dam will be back to 100% by tonight if its not already. Good luck up there. I'm hoping to get up there again very soon.
    Bill