Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: epirbs

Re: epirbs

1. A GPS aided EPIRB is yet another layer over and above the standard system so can add to the overall functionality and if it aids a faster response then for sure it is worth it

2. Is there a perception that GPIRB's rely on GeoSar Sats? No this is not the case and in any case Geo sats can only cover +/- 70 deg latitude and rely on the polar orbiting Leo sats to cover the rest with regard detection and digital messaging.

3. Several countries have mandated GPS aided Epirbs for all commercial fishing operations so they are obviously seen as worthwhile

4. Accuracy is in the 150 metre mark, what more could you want?

5. People should approach this question with the thinking that one day they will in fact have to rely on this "thing" they might have complained bitterly about buying, thought overly priced, waste of time and another Gov kick to the poor old boaties wallet. Put yourself in the situation where this "thing" is the only thing that will save your life and buy accordingly as when this situation occurs (don't think IF) this decision is no longer available
    Last edited by SatNav; 26-05-2008 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sid_fishes View Post
    cause you lost me about 3 pages back hey. all i want to know is, is the new system better than the old. will THEY FIND ME if something goes pear shaped. i dont care about cost, just so long as it does what it is supposed to do,BRING HELP. SID
    jeez, I was starting to think I was the only one getting a brain ache.
    But sid,I feel the same....I really just want to know how long I have to fend the sharks off for before a chopper comes and winches me outta the sea and doses me up with coffee and brandy.

Scott

"all i want to know is, is the new system better than the old"

1. Yes

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    jeez, I was starting to think I was the only one getting a brain ache.
    But sid,I feel the same....I really just want to know how long I have to fend the sharks off for before a chopper comes and winches me outta the sea and doses me up with coffee and brandy.

Scott
    For me most of this is wayyyy over my head but reading between the lines and a little along them, the answer is YES! the basic 406s are faster in a perfect world but for one reason only, registration (somehow!?).

Everything else is more or less comparable -although it sounds like ATM it may even be slower while they work through whether to bother spending the take off money without an 'absolute' and 'undeniable' belief there is actually someone to rescue and where that person is.

The movie stereotype where they have a reasonable idea, scramble then update the search plane as time is of the essence for survival sounds a little unsophisticated for us these days??

How long is a piece of string, think the airplane can reach you faster then they can shuffle the papers, protocol and get the authorizations needed to get it of the ground by the sound of things.

cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 26-05-2008 at 06:15 PM.

Sorry to rain on the parade although a couple of questions remain unanswered.

We have now established that the GEOSAT (geostationary) satellite which provides near instantaneous detection of GPIRB's over Australia has limited functionality. Both SatNav and Cospas-Sarsat are unable to define the exact problem and according to SatNav, the problem has existed unresolved for five years. As an aside, other LEOSATS which currently have problems are both well defined and explained.

Secondly, it has been indicated that the near instantaneous detection of GPIRB's is compromised by the requirement of being compared and qualified by the polar orbiting LEOSATS which average a detection time of x number of minutes.

So why buy a GPIRB?

1. It does appear the original subject has well and truely run its course?

2. On the original subject there does not appear much more can be gained apart from those that would continue to push the same subjects from a different direction which does not have a different result

3. Chine next time you get a call from an Indian call centre you might be best to ask them

Scott,I'm reasonably confident the technology has been refined enough to do what it's designed to do and ultimately save seamen in trouble.....
    Like you though,I'm a little less confident,however, in the indispensable human component as well.
    For instance, how long do they stuff around for trying to get a hold of the phone numbers we have registered as a contact.
    What if they can't?.....do they then waste more time sending the cops or emergency services to our place.....also wonder if they raise my mum on the phone who wouldn't have a clue if I was fishing or not ...

As we have all seen before how often does procedure not go totally according to plan.....the proverbial spanner in the works ......omnipresence is rarely a virtue of humankind.

However despite any concerns,I'm still grateful to have the technology....

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by SatNav View Post
    1. It does appear the original subject has well and truely run its course? How convenient. You still have not answered the questions.

2. On the original subject there does not appear much more can be gained apart from those that would continue to push the same subjects from a different direction which does not have a different result Unqualifed weasel speak.

3. Chine next time you get a call from an Indian call centre you might be best to ask them
    Hilarious! Your dynamite wit transcends your patronising nature!

..........but you know SatNav.........you can have the last say.

1. As I said the subject has well and truely run its course

2. Words will not and do not change the result and indicate they have little understanding of the documentary trail which like it or not specifices and outlines exactly what Cospas-Sarsat is all about

3. And have the last say I will Chine, well for your indulgence anyway, for anybody else the discussion is still open if required

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Scott,I'm reasonably confident the technology has been refined enough to do what it's designed to do and ultimately save seamen in trouble.....
    Like you though,I'm a little less confident,however, in the indispensable human component as well.
    For instance, how long do they stuff around for trying to get a hold of the phone numbers we have registered as a contact.
    What if they can't?.....do they then waste more time sending the cops or emergency services to our place.....also wonder if they raise my mum on the phone who wouldn't have a clue if I was fishing or not ...

As we have all seen before how often does procedure not go totally according to plan.....the proverbial spanner in the works ......omnipresence is rarely a virtue of humankind.

However despite any concerns,I'm still grateful to have the technology....

Scott
    Yeah I agree the part that spooks me is the extra additions/layers added to the rescue decision making flowchart now, each level must have a dead end, all take time, the 121s were impersonal as a result the flow chart was basic, simple procedure results in fast rescues. Sounds like they now have many 'outs'... 'outs' designed to save money.

Anyway for what it's worth time will tell, if the blokes who do the 'hands on' get the chance we will be in good hands.

If I end up in the water I am pretty sure I would put my total faith in the system, regardless if I did flick the switch but didn't get rescued....who would ever know

cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 26-05-2008 at 08:12 PM.