Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: epirbs

Re: epirbs

"provides an alert signal to the rescue services within 90 minutes depending on satelite passes and give a positional accuracy to within 3nm."

1. It is the role of geo-stationary satellites to initially detect a signal and it does not take 90 minutes for this to occur

2. It is the Low Earth Orbit satellites that will then require some time to fix the position and independently verify the position

Good info there SatNav - cheers

Hi guys just a couple of things I saw while looking at an online shop...

Typical accuracy of ..............Gps equipped models.........<45m
    Non-GPS models.................<5km

IMO 5km is a lot of territory in a rough,choppy ocean.......(particularly if it means 5km in any direction).....anybody know if this is correct?

In hindsight I would have bought a GPS equipped model.

It also mentioned delivery DELAYS of up to 4 weeks currently as demand is currently exceeding supply and this was expected to continue into next year...

Don,t leave it to the last minute to upgrade as you might be forced to wait or have little option of whats available.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Hi guys just a couple of things I saw while looking at an online shop...

Typical accuracy of ..............Gps equipped models.........<45m
    Non-GPS models.................<5km

IMO 5km is a lot of territory in a rough,choppy ocean.......(particularly if it means 5km in any direction).....anybody know if this is correct?

In hindsight I would have bought a GPS equipped model.

It also mentioned delivery DELAYS of up to 4 weeks currently as demand is currently exceeding supply and this was expected to continue into next year...

Don,t leave it to the last minute to upgrade as you might be forced to wait or have little option of whats available.

Scott
    Scott they also have a 121 homing beacon same as the older style.

What you wrote above is why I do have trouble believing the standard 406s are a whole world above what we last had - the experts say it is, so who am I to argue!

cheers fnq

Yeah well Scott,I almost wish I hadn't just started reading up on them....
    I felt much safer when I was semi-ignorant but wearing my rose-coloured glasses.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by SatNav View Post
    "provides an alert signal to the rescue services within 90 minutes depending on satelite passes and give a positional accuracy to within 3nm."

1. It is the role of geo-stationary satellites to initially detect a signal and it does not take 90 minutes for this to occur

2. It is the Low Earth Orbit satellites that will then require some time to fix the position and independently verify the position

As already stated, pulled off the P&W website, and it states within 90 mins in the above text. I guess that's worst case scenario, but it is what it is, or at least acording to P&W.

Just found this and for the price and 3 year warranty I don't know how you could go wrong.

Standard HX850s Handheld VHF Radio with GPS

Our Products: VHF Radio/Handheld > Standard Horizon Handheld Radios SKU: HX850S Brand: Standard Horizon The Standard HX850S is the only FLOATING VHF handheld on the market with built in GPS. The HX850S radio is designed for the highest-level boating enthusiast More details...
    Price: $208.46
    List Price: $259.99
    You Save: $51.53

Standard Horizon introduces a whole new level in safely and performance in a marine handheld VHF. The HX850S is the only FLOATING VHF handheld on the market with built in GPS. The HX850S radio is designed for the highest-level boating enthusiast. This advanced FLOATING handheld VHF/GPS includes a 12-channel WAAS GPS receiver allowing the radio to transmit a DSC call with your coordinates, perfect for a ditch bag. Designed to be a work horse, the HX850S includes 6 Watts of transmit power, die cast chassis, ergonomically shaped with rubberized armor for a non-slip grip and heavy duty belt clip.

Advanced features include:
    Full dot matrix display with Full page Radio with channel names, Radio/Position, Radio/SOG/COG pages, SC-101 DSC Digital Selective Calling including; Position request and Position report, Volume & Squelch indication on display, NMEA output on cradle for connection to your favorite fixed mount GPS, SOS strobe light, NOAA Weather with alert and a speaker microphone jack allowing connection of optional accessories. The HX850S and HX750S are the only FLOATING handhelds on the market supplied with drop in cradle and both 110VAC and 12VDC chargers. The HX850S is backed by an industry leading 3-year waterproof warranty.

• Built-in Parallel 12 Channel GPS Receiver
    • FLOATING - Submersible JIS-7 / IPX7 (3.3 feet for 30 minutes)
    • 6 Watt Transmit power
    • Full Dot Matrix Display
    • Ergonomically shaped with Rubber Armor for Non-slip Grip
    • Large easy to ready LCD with Full dot matrix display (132 x 64 dot)
    • Possible to select the following three (3) patterns of the LCD
      display.
      • Radio mode
      • Radio display + Position information
      • Radio display + navigation display (SOG/COG)
    • DSC (SC-101) functions include:
      • Distress call with position
      • All ships, Urgency, Safety
      • Individual call
      • Position Request
      • Position Report
      • Group call
    • Volume & Squelch indication on display
    • NMEA output on cradle of DSC, DSE, GLL, RMC, GSA, GSV and GGA
    • Channel names on display
    • Low Battery indication
    • All USA/International and Canadian Marine Channels
    • NOAA Weather Channels
    • SOS Strobe light
    • Speaker Mic Jack
    • 700mW internal speaker audio
    • Selectable Power Output 6/5/2/1 Watt
    • 1150 mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion battery
    • 110VAC and 12VDC Chargers included
    • 3 Year Waterproof Warranty

Quote Originally Posted by paul251 View Post
    Chine everything in purple is off the P&W website,

The standard Fastfind 406 MHz Personal Location Beacon has all the features of the Fastifnd Plus but without GPS.. The 406 MHz frequency provides an alert signal to the rescue services within 90 minutes depending on satelite passes and give a positional accuracy to within 3nm. Once in the vicinity the 121.5 MHz transmitter provides a signal for the rescue services to home-in on. This information is more than sufficient to enable rescue services to find a vessel or individual in distress particularly if equipped with flares and lifejacket light.
    Paul,

My apologies. The shot was actually aimed at the quoted website information and not your post.
    Last edited by Chine; 25-05-2008 at 01:59 PM.

1. Satellite coverage at present is not all that great as at this point there are no Russian (Cospas) satellites in the system at all.

2. Cospas9 was decommissioned late 2007 and another was shutdown in 2006 sometime. The loss of these satellites (natural planned attrition) have had a direct affect on 121.5 detection since about 2006. 121.5 detection is also currently limited due to Sarsat problems.

3. Russia has plans to launch replacement sats sometime in 2009 (I think?)

4. The Indian sat (Insat-3A) also currently has limited capabilities and it is this Geo Sat that covers Australia.

5. 121.5 detection capability has been steadily going down hill for quite a few years
    The Insat-3A limited functionality cause is yet to be determined and may be a bi-product of only reporting to a single LUT (Bangalore, India) which is yet to be formally commisioned whereas others are monitored by eight LUT's.

The comms link between a GEOSAR/GEOLUT is relatively weaker than that of the LEOSAT/LEOLUT owing to the higher altitudes.

If the Insat-3A was sufficiently degraded in performance to compromise this 406 footprint then a Notice to Mariners would have been issued. I am yet to see that.

Just found this and for the price and 3 year warranty I don't know how you could go wrong.

Standard HX850s Handheld VHF Radio with GPS

Our Products: VHF Radio/Handheld > Standard Horizon Handheld Radios SKU: HX850S Brand: Standard Horizon The Standard HX850S is the only FLOATING VHF handheld on the market with built in GPS. The HX850S radio is designed for the highest-level boating enthusiast More details...
    Price: $208.46
    List Price: $259.99
    You Save: $51.53

Paul,

Good find, but their website says:

GPS and Marine World/CB Company
    9331 Carousel Center
    Syracuse, NY 13290

315-849-4138

sales@gpsandmarineworld.com

GPS and Marine World is an online retailer of GPS and marine electronics, with offices located in New York State. We have been in business since 2004. We ship products throughout the United States. Distribution warehouses are located on both the east and west coasts. At this time, we do not ship internationally.

Looks like they are in NY USA & don't ship internationally. Have you had any dealings with them?

cheers, Mark

No dealings Hornet Rider, I just put that up as a guide to pricing. Fishon sell Standard Horizon but I could not find a price. For a bit over $200 buck's you get a lot of bang for ya buck.

Chine no worries mate, i should have picked that up.

No dealings Hornet Rider, I just put that up as a guide to pricing. Fishon sell Standard Horizon but I could not find a price. For a bit over $200 buck's you get a lot of bang for ya buck.

Chine no worries mate, i should have picked that up.

Paul,

at the current US $ exchange rate, that's good value. Might check http://www.#############.com/ to see if they carry Standard & what their best price is.

cheers, Mark

"The Insat-3A limited functionality cause is yet to be determined and may be a bi-product of only reporting to a single LUT (Bangalore, India) which is yet to be formally commisioned"

1. Fortuneatley it is the low orbit satellites that do most of the SAR workload

2. Insat-3A does not have the same capabilities as the other Geo's

2. Insat-3A was launched over 5 years ago and still has some issues, some restrictions, hence the limitation tag. There are no excuses for this limitation tag as after 5 years things should have been well and truely sorted out

3. Insat-3A's limitations are recognized as such as anything it does detect is forwarded on as a matter of course

1. The 5km accuracy claim is centred on the target

2. 5km is still a lot of water but an Epirb can be tracked a long way beyond 5km

3. Still a lot better than 20km (anologue accuracy claim) which might be only 4 times the distance but is 16 times the area

"The Insat-3A limited functionality cause is yet to be determined and may be a bi-product of only reporting to a single LUT (Bangalore, India) which is yet to be formally commisioned"

1. Fortuneatley it is the low orbit satellites that do most of the SAR workload

2. Insat-3A does not have the same capabilities as the other Geo's

2. Insat-3A was launched over 5 years ago and still has some issues, some restrictions, hence the limitation tag. There are no excuses for this limitation tag as after 5 years things should have been well and truely sorted out

3. Insat-3A's limitations are recognized as such as anything it does detect is forwarded on as a matter of course
    SatNav,

Yes. I agree with all the above. It is recognised that there is a problem.

To your knowledge, has this problem compromised (to any degree) the 406 GPIRB
    footprint for Insat-3A and if so how was this established?