Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: handling fish

Red face handling fish

When you see all those pics of people holding huge fish after catching them, i wonder how its done...
    i mean as we all know, after catching a fish, its thrashing around all over the place trying to get back into the water. how do these people hold a fish long enough for a pic, and look calm about it?
    any tips would be appreciated. (yes,,,as you can tell i am new to fishing)

Re: handling fish

Hi johnny. IMO Depends on the fish but the use of an enviro net as opposed to knotted nets will reduce the need to muck around. With some fish (Aussie Bass/Barramundi) you can lip grip them and support them under the belly for a happy snap. Others (bream you can comfortably fold back pectoral fins and hold comfortably in the hand without too much hassle.

Also a way to calm fish down is to hold them upside down to get hooks out. Don't know why but it definetaly works (especially on flathead).

GL,

Cheers,

Mark

Red face Re: handling fish

thanks mark...just one more question. what does IMO stand for in your reply?
    John

In My Opinion.......Cheers Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

For head thrashing fish ( with hurty bits) I like lip grippers! . You can control the head & avoid a lot of pain to the fish & yourself! ...... Much better than the bad old days ..... where you gaffed a fish in the mouth

Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    In My Opinion.......Cheers Whitto
    I'm going to go one up on Steve B IMMHO! ( In my most humble opinion)

Whattchya reckon

Chris

Hi Johnny,

These links might be helpful to understand some of the shorthand net lingo you see.

http://www.netlingo.com/lookup.cfm?term=IMO

http://www.netlingo.com/emailsh.cfm

Cheers

Dave
    Last edited by Outsider1; 19-05-2008 at 09:03 AM.

Nagg
    SLALOS - sounds like a load of sh&% never heard of a cockroach who thought
    there opinion was humble
    GOOOOOOOOOOO Queensland

Cheers Foxie
    Last edited by Magella; 19-05-2008 at 08:36 AM.
    Always Think Like A Fish - No Matter How Weird It Gets

Johny,

Mate, I can tell you the big barra are not easy to hold for a photo. Very heavy, slippery and arkward TITBTNJMO (that is the bloody truth not just my opinion....like that one NAGGY ) Lucky they dont have teeth so you can get a good grip in their mouth. They mostly sit pretty still. When they do sqirm it gets pretty hairy.

As for handling them, there are several good threads back thru this forum if you want to do a bit of a seach. They pretty much go hand in hand with taking pics too.

I think the excitement and adrenaline makes the lifting easier!!! You shake for a bit afterwards though..!!!

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Magella View Post
    Nagg
    SLALOS - sounds like a load of sh&% never heard of a cockroach who thought
    there opinion was humble
    GOOOOOOOOOOONE Queensland

Cheers Foxie
    I just fixed that up for you Foxie

IMAO ...... your wrong about us New South Welshmen!
    Cockroaches ....... I never saw a Cockroach till my Brother brought them down from Qld ...... when he was in the army! ....... Little brown buggers

Cheers

Nagg

PS ...... Qld have only won 1 game at Homebush ......... Just a little reminder
    Last edited by NAGG; 19-05-2008 at 09:33 AM.

Looks Like another HIJACK!

How can anyone remember TITBTNJMO ...... By the way , you left out the H

Naggy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Johny,

Mate, I can tell you the big barra are not easy to hold for a photo. Very heavy, slippery and arkward TITBTNJMO (that is the bloody truth not just my opinion....like that one NAGGY ) Lucky they dont have teeth so you can get a good grip in their mouth. They mostly sit pretty still. When they do sqirm it gets pretty hairy.

As for handling them, there are several good threads back thru this forum if you want to do a bit of a seach. They pretty much go hand in hand with taking pics too.

I think the excitement and adrenaline makes the lifting easier!!! You shake for a bit afterwards though..!!!

Cheers Steve
    You'd know about handling the big ones .... specially of late
    The little ones ( the ones I'm use to catching are just outright dangerous)

Naggy

thanks for all your replys fellas. i like the one about the mouth grips. think i'll go out and buy some.
    when is the state of origin on?

And don't forget if your going to pick up a fish, wet your hands to help protect the fishes slime coating, also dipping the bragmat in the water won't hurt.

thanks mate, what is a brag mat then?