Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: handling fish

Re: handling fish

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Yeah, I dont think its as easy as those fellas made it look. I think there was plenty of experience there. Also, he said lots of casts too. So mabey it was filmed over a long period, because there were a lot of BIG cod caught. TV editing is an amazing thing. But it certainly was good to watch.

I got a 50 pound murray cod at Cooby dam near toowoomba once on a spinnerbait chasing yellas. Great fun..big fish!!! let her go....as usual. If it had of been 5-10 lb it might be a different story!! yum yum.

Steve

The give away in those shows is when the 5 o clock shadow develops into a beard

Brag mat...

Its just a mat in centimetre increments usually from 110 to 130cm long that you can lay the fish on for measuring. Then you can brag about it later.

Its handy to take a photo of the fish while its on the brag mat so that you can back up your bragging rights - if the catch is braggable that is.
    The mats also roll up, they don't take up too much space and are fairly light.

Campbells Pro Tackle online site have the Shimano ones for $14.95 although you can get other more expensive versions.

Last edited by PNG1M; 24-05-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: techo hiccups
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

thanks for that png. i will definately go and get one when i get home. although i cant remember the last time i caught a fish, i know that the time is near!!

John

I think it is one of the mats that have measurements on them so you can prove without doubt that the fish was a s big as you say!

Wink Re: handling fish

with the amount of pics of people holding their prize fish, i reckon they should make some sort of clothing that has measurements on it. maybe like an apron or something, or even a brag mat that sticks to the fish so when you get your pick taken, it will show just how big it was at the same time!
    Just have to get me head around wearing an apron while fishing is all....
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Magella View Post
    Johnny have a read of Les's {mc cod] post on catch and release well worth the read, Brag mat or truth mat is a mat you can rollout to measure fish.

Cheers Foxie
    Yep I think we should have a sticky how to handle post, on how to handle fish its either we use this post as a go to and put 1 good post with a pic or two and lock it and make it sticky. at least its a start.

Nath

Hey JR,

Good to see you asking lots of questions. You will get nothing but safe info on this site.

I own four pieces of 'Barra Handling Gear', and I make sure I have them on the Boat in an open and easy to reach location every time I go Barra fishing. One is an Extra Large Environet. You can fit mega Barra in these things - lifting them in is the hard part! They are safe on the fish, in that they won't remove their protective layer/s of slime, split Dorsal webbing or hurt the fish in any way like a Knotted landing net would. If your wanting to bring fish aboard your Boat for pic's, then you really want one. I have 'comfort' lifted fish into the Boat on many occasions, and it is hard work (try lifting 120's... like 30kg of bricks covered in vaseline!).

Second and third are a Shimano Brag Mat and a good pair of Long Nose Plier's. Most of the blokes here have already instructed you on how to use them so I won't repeat what they've said, but aslong as its wetted down and cool for the fish then she's safe. Long Nose Plier's are pretty usefull, and when I mean long I mean LONG! I have an extra long pair of Gladiator LN Plier's and they have gotten many Plastics out of Barra throats in the past. Sticking your naked hand right up into a Barra's gob with a Lure at the back spells 'SMA' - Seek Medical Assistance!

Last but not least, is Boga Grips (Lip Grips) and I use these ONLY when I want to release tired fish next to the Boat without bringing them aboard. They are useless tools when a fish is actually in a Boat. Barra don't have Mackerel or Jack teeth, and I can't really understand why blokes (really they are girls!) use them. When tired fish are next to the Boat they shouldnt be taken out of the water so I gently open the Barra's mouth and put the Lip Grippers to work whilst freeing the hooks from the fish. When she's ready to go I grab the fish with my now free hand and remove the Lip Grip's and swim em' back with my hand. I do this because I have seen Barra being swum back with Boga Grip's still in their mouth and they will take off with em'! A 30kg Tinaroo fish was caught not long back STILL WITH A LIP GRIPPER ATTACHED TO ITS BOTTOM LIP!!! Now thats a tough fishy!!!

Hope this helps. Tight lines

Theo
    TT

Muchly appreciated theo.
    thanks,
    John