Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blue Eye Trevella.

Blue Eye Trevella.

I saw an awsome bit on I- fish TV today about them catching Blue Eye Trevella , using electric reals and only around 26kms (I think) off the gold coast in very deep water.Eight minute drop to the bottom with a 4kg sinker.

Made me want to go out and buy the gear and setup for it.

1.Are these fish available from the Sunshine Coast? Would have to be a long way out as the bawons around about 40kms and that is nowhere near that deep.
    Last edited by stevea; 18-05-2008 at 07:41 PM.

Re: Blue Eye Trevella.

In my experience these fish (Blue Eye) are found over the drop off of the shelf,you may get them off the sunshine coast but I think it would be getting to their northern extreme,either way you would have to find the shelf proper and drop a bait over the edge.Interestingly I find the Blue Eye a far inferior fish to eat compared to the one they couldn't ID (which I would have called a Bass Groper or a Barr Cod depending on a closer look at the tail) which we generaly get on the 200m mark out to the top section of the drop off.

Thanks, do they school up and do you see them on the sounder?,

Quote Originally Posted by smallunit View Post
    26km off the gold coast wont have you in much more than 100m.
    ?Let me replay the recording and get back 2 u?

would have been 26 mile or more...500m of water puts you well over the shelf and with "spot x" being 18nm and around 100m 26km is way off. the shelf off mooloolaba is any where from about 30nm to 50nm depending on which way you head. A hell of a lot of hard work (with out electric reels) for a feed of fish IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by stevea View Post
    Thanks, do they school up and do you see them on the sounder?,
    I have a Furuno 582L and on 50khz I do get a show of fish (270-450m) but it is generaly a mix of Nanygai (southern type....Redfish?) and other strange fish such as Tile fish,I fish these if the current allows with Alvey Reefmasters and turn the odd decent fish (cod),I cannot say for sure if the fish are schooling and swiming past or if my drift is happening on fish holed up in one spot.

Quote Originally Posted by stevea View Post
    ?Let me replay the recording and get back 2 u?
    I only saw about five minutes of it,do they mention what the white tags on the rigs were?I'm assuming cylumes of some sort.

cylume sticks at the top of the rig and im pretty sure glow in the dark tubing on/above each hook. thats the pretty standard rig.

it was 26 Miles out, 500 plus M of water.
    they found the lumps in the sea bottom while trolling for marlin.
    4kgs of lead and 6 hooks, 1500m of Braid

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo View Post
    cylume sticks at the top of the rig and im pretty sure glow in the dark tubing on/above each hook. thats the pretty standard rig.
    Thanks for that Jeffo,use the glo tube but never given any thought to the additional one above the rig.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    In my experience these fish (Blue Eye) are found over the drop off of the shelf,you may get them off the sunshine coast but I think it would be getting to their northern extreme,either way you would have to find the shelf proper and drop a bait over the edge.Interestingly I find the Blue Eye a far inferior fish to eat compared to the one they couldn't ID (which I would have called a Bass Groper or a Barr Cod depending on a closer look at the tail) which we generaly get on the 200m mark out to the top section of the drop off.
    Have to agree with you Pat, eating quality down with Mullet compared to the other deep water species, I wont bring another one home again unless I'm short on cat food ( he seemed to like it).

Muzz

electric winch reels etc etc and that is sport? Why not just take a barge out and spool up the drum on the crane with braid.

Just my thoughts

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Nauti View Post
    electric winch reels etc etc and that is sport? Why not just take a barge out and spool up the drum on the crane with braid.

Just my thoughts

Dave
    Enlighten us on the technique for sportfishing species holding bottom in 500m of water.

Quote Originally Posted by onerabbit View Post
    Have to agree with you Pat, eating quality down with Mullet compared to the other deep water species, I wont bring another one home again unless I'm short on cat food ( he seemed to like it).

Muzz
    I dunno boys. Go to Muirs Fishcafe on the wharf at Constitution Dock in Hobart. It's a World Famous Restaurant. The do Blue Eye, and without a doubt it is the best fish dish I have ever eaten. My wife agrees. So did our guests from Germany.

I must be all about the Chef . It's a magic restaurant - If you're going to Hobart, I'd say it's top of the list. Next night have a steak at the Ball and Chain in Salamanca Place. It's as good as any in Oz and the atmosphere is brilliant. I lived in Hobart for a couple of years and always took Business guests to either/or and they always raved - these are guys travelling Oz and the world, so they know their restaurants! All this was 8 years ago + though, I'd be interested to know if they're still any good?
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

In all honesty how can it be called "sportfishing" Banshee? A machine is literally skull dragging these fish up from 500mtrs. I can't see how that is sport. I don't know of another way of getting them up, and I can't understand why anyone would want to, but that aside it is hardly "sport".

Dave