Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electric Reels

Question Electric Reels

Hi Guys just wondering if any of you have had any experience with any of the Diawa or Shimano electric reels.......We are wanting to start fishing deep water 100-200m and want to know info on these reels......We are deciding to set up deck winches or electric rells.....Price is not a matter(work at a tackle shop) ....Any help would be aprriciated....

Cheers Plastic_Magic

Re: Electric Reels

Quote Originally Posted by Plastic_Magic View Post
    Hi Guys just wondering if any of you have had any experience with any of the Diawa or Shimano electric reels.......We are wanting to start fishing deep water 100-200m and want to know info on these reels......We are deciding to set up deck winches or electric rells.....Price is not a matter(work at a tackle shop) ....Any help would be aprriciated....

Cheers Plastic_Magic
    I own 6 assorted electric reels,

I have 1 Shimano 400 which is a great allround reel, they hold approx 400 meters of 80 lb braid and there retrieval rate is 150 meters/ Min, They draw about 10 amps when fully loaded, the Diawa models are very similar, and unless you are after a commercial suited reel, (miya Epoch) then either the shimano or daiwa would suit your needs

Cheers Michael

Cheers Plastic_Magic
    I know what you watched this arvo - was a dam good show! Sorry cannot help with your Q but interested in the answers.

cheers fnq

I wached the same show ,fishing in 530 mt of water you have got to be kidding imagine you get a flat battery and have to pull up that 4kg lead by hand wooow...matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

i watched some of the same show I FISH, what a boring way to go fishing.
    I decided it would be no different to organising a trip & sending a mate out while i went to the footy , then telling everyone i went fishing. Looked about as much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by snelly1971 View Post
    I own 6 assorted electric reels,

I have 1 Shimano 400 which is a great allround reel, they hold approx 400 meters of 80 lb braid and there retrieval rate is 150 meters/ Min, They draw about 10 amps when fully loaded, the Diawa models are very similar, and unless you are after a commercial suited reel, (miya Epoch) then either the shimano or daiwa would suit your needs

Cheers Michael
    Awsome mate.. What depth of water you fish in??..........What you target??...............Ummm i was looking at the Shimano Dendou-Maru or the Daiwa Tancom Bull 1000??...Would these suit my needs.....

Thanks for the help

Cheers Plastic_Magic

Yer fellas did watch the IFISH program and was interested in the electric reels.....But not the ones those guys were using.....They are designed for 500-1000m of water........Not for me anyway.........Yer pulling fish from 100m is not much fun anyway so have decided to have the fun in the shallowas and then run out into the deep to get some real fish.....

Cheers Plastic_Magic

At what point does fishing 500 mtrs of water become useless due to current strength. How many days of the year could you fish that depth? I fish 100 meteres of water and IMO you dont need a electric reel, for 1 good electric reel, you can purchase 3 good overheads that make light work of lifting led from 100 mtrs.......500 mtrs....that is deep, really deep- I concede that you would need an electric. 4 Kilos of lead is a lot of $$, you would not want to be snagging up that often. Anyway, seems to take all the fun out of it.....very much dangling rather than angling......But hey, I havent done it so take my comments with a grain of salt

Awsome mate.. What depth of water you fish in??..........What you target??...............Ummm i was looking at the Shimano Dendou-Maru or the Daiwa Tancom Bull 1000??...Would these suit my needs.....

Thanks for the help

Cheers Plastic_Magic
    I have a Shimano Demdou Maru 400, they are a great light weight reel, I fish in usully depths ranging from 150 to 250 meters , but when i am chasing blue eye then depths can be as much as 600+ meters

Cheers Mick

Quote Originally Posted by lampuki View Post
    At what point does fishing 500 mtrs of water become useless due to current strength. How many days of the year could you fish that depth? I fish 100 meteres of water and IMO you dont need a electric reel, for 1 good electric reel, you can purchase 3 good overheads that make light work of lifting led from 100 mtrs.......500 mtrs....that is deep, really deep- I concede that you would need an electric. 4 Kilos of lead is a lot of $$, you would not want to be snagging up that often. Anyway, seems to take all the fun out of it.....very much dangling rather than angling......But hey, I havent done it so take my comments with a grain of salt
    Sounds like you have never purchased an electric reel...

But I suppose it depends on what you class as 3 good overhead reels...

I have purchased 3 electric reels brand new ranging from $350 to $500 dollars..

So would you like to explain which ``GOOD`` overhead reels can be purchased for that price????

As for using 4 kilo`s of lead...Overkill...we only use 16oz sinkers, no more is need than that

Mick

Thanks for the help

Cheers Plastic_Magic
    One last Point about electric reels .....

I have probably taken 20 -30 people out fishing since i have purchased electric reels...Nearly everone was sceptical at first but they are and can be fun, And more than likely 50% of those have purchased there own electric reels...

Solas Prop in Qld are a great store to purchase them through, and as is ebay, especially from Japan.....

Mick

Im with lampuki,

if your only fishing in 100-200 mtrs of water then why the electric reel, at 100mtrs even the deck winch is a bit of an over kill.

In the depth of water you are talking, you will have way more fun with a good overhead set up & catch just as many fish & when you fish in 200 mtrs, you will have an invigorating cardio work-out as you fish.

I fish regularly between 100& 250mtrs with 24kg stand-up gear & Diawa Sealine 600s.
    When it comes to the used of electric reels, personally, I think they should be banned, with the exception of the disabled,
    or perhaps in Snelly's case where they fish in incredibly deep water to get their fish, making hand gear useless.
    Not trying to bag you P_M, but I see anyone who doesn't fit these sort of catagories to be in the class of "lazy fisho's".

Have a go with the stand up gear & 30-50lb braid & you will have the time of your life.

Muzz

Quote Originally Posted by onerabbit View Post
    Im with lampuki,

if your only fishing in 100-200 mtrs of water then why the electric reel, at 100mtrs even the deck winch is a bit of an over kill.

In the depth of water you are talking, you will have way more fun with a good overhead set up & catch just as many fish & when you fish in 200 mtrs, you will have an invigorating cardio work-out as you fish.

I fish regularly between 100& 250mtrs with 24kg stand-up gear & Diawa Sealine 600s.
    When it comes to the used of electric reels, personally, I think they should be banned, with the exception of the disabled,
    or perhaps in Snelly's case where they fish in incredibly deep water to get their fish, making hand gear useless.
    Not trying to bag you P_M, but I see anyone who doesn't fit these sort of catagories to be in the class of "lazy fisho's".

Have a go with the stand up gear & 30-50lb braid & you will have the time of your life.

Muzz

He we go Again Muzz...

Come on NAGG you might as well join in and have your say...

If the guy wants to buy an electric reel then its his MONEY...!!!!!!!

What doesnt suit you might suit others as fun!!!!!!!!

After all......Its not a post about if electric reels are fun or not....

The Posts about which reel to buy

Mick

Bloody electric reel fanatics have to be worse than E-Tec fanatics don't they?
    At least using an E-Tec is FUN..
    Last edited by disorderly; 19-05-2008 at 05:59 PM.

So some Questions.. What depth of water you fish in??..........What you target??...............Ummm i was looking at the Shimano Dendou-Maru or the Daiwa Tancom Bull 1000??...Would these suit my needs.....

Thanks for the help

Cheers Plastic_Magic