Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Electric Reels

Re: Electric Reels

Quote Originally Posted by oceanspirit1 View Post
    I have been quoted $1099 for the Shimano maru 4000 and $900 for the tenacom 1000fe bull, and was told that you HAVE to have the "bent" rod, otherwise you will snap your rod, thus I decided to ask around, and joined the forum to hear what those who are using have to say about them, sales persons and people who have them are sometimes different, do you have trouble "holding on" so to speak? I mainly want to use it when moving or replenishing bait not so much to bring in the fish I would rather do that in the manual setting. I have a crook shoulder.
    I would look elsewhere before purchasing, I have purchased 2 from ebay at around $500, and also 1 last year here on Ausfish barnd new in the box for $450.

Dont believe what you hear from some sales people, We catch 25+ kg School sharks and the rods are only $70 Penn Powersticks in the 15-24 kg range. We have caught must larger fish without any problems, and when it comes down to it, ....The reels are exaclty the same as a normal OH, same functions, just a must larger drag..

Cheers Mick

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hey welcome back Mick ....... I wondered what happened to you

How has the fishing been for you ..... through winter (serious question)

Cheers

Chris
    Hi Nagg,

I have had my Charter Boat up and running for the last month or so and have been quite busy. Not so much with fishing, but chartering Hob Knobs back and forth to the local fish farms, plus doing some work up the Gordon River for Parks and Wildlife.

I have had a few trips fishing, but the bloody water is still a bit cold here at the moment, usually picks up around middle of Sept, early Oct, so Thats when all the tourists start turning up here, so , hopefully I will Have a busy summer...

Cheers Mick

[quote=snelly1971;886741]I would look elsewhere before purchasing, I have purchased 2 from ebay at around $500, and also 1 last year here on Ausfish barnd new in the box for $450.

Thanks I was quoted $700 for the "must have rod" as well

I have put a note in wanted, thanks very much for your help

happy and safe fishing to you.

just an update if you want to compare the reels there is an overseas site

www.Isreels.com

that is really useful to compare side by side all the reels.

I also looked on the youtube site to watch people using the reels (just put in electric reels) and you will be shocked and disgusted watching twits on some of the videos winching in small fish at incredible speeds, and bragging! Up until today I thought they were fairly uncommon but they are very popular all over the world, I must say I thought it was a great idea when we go out deep the sharks kill me, so does bringing in my line empty a dozen times, (my husband likes moving around) I am sure they have their place ..................I just hope we don't see them everywhere.........just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by snelly1971 View Post
    Hi Nagg,

I have had my Charter Boat up and running for the last month or so and have been quite busy. Not so much with fishing, but chartering Hob Knobs back and forth to the local fish farms, plus doing some work up the Gordon River for Parks and Wildlife.

I have had a few trips fishing, but the bloody water is still a bit cold here at the moment, usually picks up around middle of Sept, early Oct, so Thats when all the tourists start turning up here, so , hopefully I will Have a busy summer...

Cheers Mick
    Good stuff Mick ......... Sounds like a good way to make a living......... & I hope you do well

So will you be doing fishing charters ??

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Good stuff Mick ......... Sounds like a good way to make a living......... & I hope you do well

So will you be doing fishing charters ??

Chris
    Yes, done a few already. Its just getting the weather right here to venture outside with tourists will be the tricky part. But there is always trout/salmon fishing in the harbour, AND NO, I dont use my electric reels for catching them LOL

Mick

I have a Diawa,spooled with 100lb braid and we fish 160 fthms and over and I use it about once a week. I have never had a minutes trouble after two years and I use a cut down straight JS980 rod (about 4ft). From that depth you do not want to think about manual winding, I use to sue an Alvet winch and I would never go back there again. My mate has a Miya Epoch and my Diawa does the same job for 1/4 the price. A 2LB snapper lead is all that is needed for weight and for a power supply I use a 1900w(largest you can buy) power pack that I paid $120 for and it keeps me going all day if we need to stay that long to get our bag limit.
    If you look around you will probably find one for about $500 and believe me they are tops.
    Greg

i bought a shimano 4000 hp about six weeks ago from Japan i have been out twice and in both times i literally had to fight to get it back. whoever tried it just loved it. you still have to work the fish up so rod movement is important. far better than a hand winch. anyhow its only the young ones who complain about being unfair there turn will come. i love how people will spend a couple of grand on sonic gear as well as all the other toys then have the tenacity to poke a stick.

im going back in December to get three more though the aussy dollars has dropped. anyone got a english journal a bit hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by ozbee View Post
    i bought a shimano 4000 hp about six weeks ago from Japan i have been out twice and in both times i literally had to fight to get it back. whoever tried it just loved it. you still have to work the fish up so rod movement is important. far better than a hand winch. anyhow its only the young ones who complain about being unfair there turn will come. i love how people will spend a couple of grand on sonic gear as well as all the other toys then have the tenacity to poke a stick.

im going back in December to get three more though the aussy dollars has dropped. anyone got a english journal a bit hard to come by.
    I have an english manual, Will copy it for you soon. Gee, I was being bagged and bagged on here awhile back about using electric reels, Ha, How times have changed

Mick

the 4000 was just under $500 aus with 300 mtrs of 35 kg braid but after the meltdown be around $700 i would say at a guess.

Hey guys
    I have been using both the Shimano 4000 and the Daiwa fe750 and the latest fe1000 The Shimanos are good in anything from 40 to 250 mts of water, over that you would not hold enough line, go deeper and you nee the fe1000. the Shimanos have handled it well, sit on the side of the boat and cop it rough all have stood up to it, we also use the fe1000 and 750 as manual trolling reels, works well. now that i have said that they will prob break down.

website http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm

Paulus