Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electric Reels

Re: Electric Reels

honestly Guys and electric reel is a reel not a rod......You can still handle the rod and fight the fish......Its not like you are putting it in the rod holder and pulling up a dead weight..........So negative comments are not required....

Thanks for you consideration Plastic_Magic

Tried not to be abrasive Snelly ,
    in the deep water where you fish , I have to admit you have a great point,
    & yes, electric reels are quite legal.

But, unless you're on an oxygen bottle, fishing in 100 mtrs is no drama, a bit more puff in 200, but hey, that's fishing..............not trying to create an arguement, just stating an opinion,

if a grown man can't fish 100 mtrs without resorting to an electric reel, he should have a bigger brecky before he goes next time,
    my now 16 yr old has been fishing the shelf (250mtrs) with me now for 2 years & can manage, with stand-up gear.

I just fail to see how some people can be proud of the fish that their reel has caught.

Ausfish being the great place that it is, allows all members to voice their opinions,

& that's mine.

Muzz

I'm always a little amused when the subject of electric reels/deck winches comes up,I realy can't see what the big deal is,the choice is entirely up to the individual and no one else.The user of such equipment does not get to keep any more fish than an angler who chooses to fish with a rod and reel so what is the problem?

I guess I have a bit of a problem when electric reels are used in the same sentence as sport.
    Call it for what it is, out to get meat/ butcher work, & I dont have a problem,
    but it's not fishing.

Muzz

Settle fellas.....Only asking questions....lol...no need for arguing......This site is like a pre school... And that is offending my little brother..

Plastic_Magic

Quote Originally Posted by onerabbit View Post
    I guess I have a bit of a problem when electric reels are used in the same sentence as sport.
    but it's not fishing.

Muzz
    So why not use a handline?

Been gonna try Noelm's method out there .

Muzz

but it's not fishing.

Muzz
    Well i may think the same of diving Muzz. But i dont get on here complaining, if they want to dive , thats there right and choice. I have mainly been off Ausfish lately because I was getting sick and tired of all the BullSh!t responses....

It just seems to be getting worse.......

Post after post On Bloody Etecs and the like........

How about some useful and different subjects??????

There just seems to be a minor FEW who think they are the be all end all of fishing and others have to agree and follow....

I have posted before Muzz......Difference of an opinion isnt a problem, But start your own posts and winge there

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Plastic_Magic View Post
    honestly Guys and electric reel is a reel not a rod......You can still handle the rod and fight the fish......Its not like you are putting it in the rod holder and pulling up a dead weight..........So negative comments are not required....

Thanks for you consideration Plastic_Magic
    I had a guy from Perth come out fishing with me in March, He is quite well off and goes all over the place on the big luxury charter boats...

I handed him the new Shimano electric reel, I must admit he was very very aprehensive at first, but after fighting a 15 KG School shark to the surface in under 10 minutes in 200 meters of water , he was thrilled and stated that he thought electric reels would take the fun out of it,

Now Muzz, Get something Large on these little reels and crank the power up!!!and they will take a lot of holding on too, There is stil a lot of fun and hard yakka to do, the rod still acts the same as if fitted with a normal overhead head reel, except there is more flexing of the rod..

Mick

but it's not fishing.

Muzz
    Where have you seen "electric reels and sport" used in the same sentence?????
    Not in this thread you haven't.

So, Muzz, when I go fishing, I'm out to get meat. Food for the table.
    So am I not fishing???????
    If I use an electric reel, am I a butcher, not a fisherman????

Clear this up for me will you please.

Cheers

I have never tried fishing that deep, 100 metres or so has been my limit so far.

I see no problem in using electric reels, each to their own. And in terms of whether it is sport or not, how is it any different to a Game Boat skipper backing down on a fish for an angler?, or a Guide driving the boat for best position for his client on that Barra?. It is all mechanical assistance in my mind, and I can't see where you draw the line on that one!

Cheers

Dave

hi snelly1971...

Unlike yourself, I have not fished at these depths before.....How longs does it take to sink a 16oz led to the bottom? At what point does current become an unbearable issue? $350 - $500...that is cheaper than I thought....So would you prefer to fish 65mtrs or 650 mtrs??

Quote Originally Posted by lampuki View Post
    hi snelly1971...

Unlike yourself, I have not fished at these depths before.....How longs does it take to sink a 16oz led to the bottom? At what point does current become an unbearable issue? $350 - $500...that is cheaper than I thought....So would you prefer to fish 65mtrs or 650 mtrs??
    General fishing in say 200 meters of water running 80 lb braid and a 16 oz sinker , it would take approx 60 seconds or less to reach the bottom, as for current, well , depends on where you fish. Normal here, out wide, if the tide lets go and really rips , then you might as well go and have a lie down for 4-6 hrs until it slackens..

But , we usually dont get really great big rips, it sort of depends on future weather condition heading our way.

When you are ready to purchase, just take a real good look around on the net...I purchased a brand new Shimano 400 here on Ausfish last year for about $400 , and a daiwa 750 Bull for $350 of ebay, direct from Japan..

Cheers Mick

Quote Originally Posted by argentimaculatus View Post
    Where have you seen "electric reels and sport" used in the same sentence?????
    Not in this thread you haven't.

So, Muzz, when I go fishing, I'm out to get meat. Food for the table.
    So am I not fishing???????
    If I use an electric reel, am I a butcher, not a fisherman????

Clear this up for me will you please.

Cheers
    This has been argued before, But , Time after time, they see right to hijack a post and winge....

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by snelly1971 View Post
    He we go Again Muzz...

Come on NAGG you might as well join in and have your say...

If the guy wants to buy an electric reel then its his MONEY...!!!!!!!

What doesnt suit you might suit others as fun!!!!!!!!

After all......Its not a post about if electric reels are fun or not....

The Posts about which reel to buy

Mick
    Sorry Mick ..... I never heard ya holleran!
    Nah mate .... I'm over it ....... If someone wants to haul flesh ........ That's their prerogative ...... If someone wants to haul it with electric assistance .... so be it!

I just wanna know ....... how do you cast with the buggers

happy days Mick ... happy days

Nagg