Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: big jointed rapalas for barra?

Re: big jointed rapalas for barra?

Thanks, I'll take a look Matt.
    Thanks Nagg.
    Confidence is a massive factor. It can be blowing an ugly 30 knots from the west or the lake can be calm and clear; regardless of conditions at hand I myself must head off on a charter 100% confident of finding fish and making them strike. Without the focus of positive thinking I'm sure we could easily come unstuck. A guide without confidence won't positively influence those fishing on the same boat.
    When trying various lures to entice a barra every cast must filled with confidence and every retrieve focused upon and directed at success. The more you think in a manner driven by success the more likely that will be the outcome. The same applies to lure colour and technique. I don't have a favourite colour nor do I have colours that don't produce fish. How about blind folding anglers and giving them a lure that they do not know of it's colour, but of its type- then fish it the same way they would their favourite. No prizes for guessing the result. Same technique, various colour, same barra landed. Mental aspects go a long way. Overcoming mental blocks or imaginary hurdles can be tough, but can be cured.
    Back to the Rapala. It is a basic lure with basic principles that is deadly in the right combination of variables.
    Johnny

Re: big jointed rapalas for barra?

Geeeze mate, I think you've nailed it there...some spot on advice I reckon.

Have you ever heard the old saying "I'll believe it when I see it?"

Well try phrasing that the other way round, like "I'll see it when I believe it."

Positive thinking and a confident approach are important to many aspects of life & play and work...not to mention sports & hobbies etc etc.

You'll have a greater chance of fishing success by thinking in terms of "when" you are going to catch your next fish as opposed to "if" you're going to catch one.

OK, now back to the jointed rapala thread:
    A while back I was on a 4 day PNG fishing trip with a mate and he had one jointed Rapala lure in his tackle box in amongst about a hundred stiffies. He decided to give it a try and he began to have regular hook-ups (both on barra & bass) when the stiffs couldn't show the goods.

We had a couple of rods each on the go and my mate kept that jointed rapala on over the whole weekend until eventually a fish got the better of him and the jointed rapala went to meet its maker in the depths of a Fly River tributary.

All he talked about the whole of the next day was that jointed rapala and the fact that he couldn't remember where he got it from and didn't know the name of that particular model. But he was definately going to get a replacement...so in other words, yes they do work. His model would have been around 14cm.
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."