Thread: frist time sp rod & reel?

frist time sp rod & reel?

hi all,

i have been interested in sp fishing for a while now, & have had a go with them a few times mainly for macks & have got a few on them.
    now i will give the creeks a go, chasing jacks, barra, threadies along with a few others. there is some good advice on other posts that i have red about using sp's, & this has pushed me into buying a new rod & reel to use just for fishing sp's & some small hb's.
    what i have come home with is .

daiwa advantage 601hfs (spin) rod
    team diawa advantage 3000a reel

i am going to have the reel spooled with 15lb finns (braid).
    this is what i could only afford with some help from my better half (father's day pressent ), have i spent money wisely?

ron.
    reels screamin aboard Hyper- Active

Re: frist time sp rod & reel?

good rod and yep a 2500-3000 size reel would b great but around the 8 pd braid is plenty for that combo especially casting sp and small hardbodys the lighter the better.......

your mind is like a parachute, it only works when its open

fleety77,

i think that 8lb might be a bit on the light side for the type of fishing i will be doing but i did get a spare spool so i might spool that with 10lb braid.

ron.

ron u have gone the right size braid for what your fishing for, not only can u use it in the creeks but it would be good fun to take out on some of the closer reefs

Whats the length of the daiwa advantage 601hfs (spin) rod???

Is it 6 foot as the numbers suggest???

If so it might be a little short for plastics??
    For fishing reports, fishing info, new techniques and fishing news read;
    Savvy Fishing Blog

kevvie,

yes mate it is 6ft, didn't think that 6ft would be to short.
    guess I'll just have to give it a go. it feels pretty good though & i hope it doesn't take to long to start to catch fish with the sp's.

ron.

Mate short sp rods have thier place... no doubt..

I hear people use them in impoundments in heavy standing timber... the shorter rods help with leverage and manuvering around the trees etc.. Shorter rods are actually easier to work lures with too...so there are advantages..

My reasons for a longer rod is purely from a casting perspective. If you need to make long casts to wary fish or fish busting up, the longer the rod the longer the cast... Apart from that its a preference thing...I like the action of longer rods too.

You may find the 6 footer fits your style well...Look forward to hearing your successes.
    For fishing reports, fishing info, new techniques and fishing news read;
    Savvy Fishing Blog

G'day Ron,
    I'd be interested to see how you go too. I'm not familiar with plastics, but would like to be. I'm moving back to Townsville mid September and would love to get stuck into some early season barra, but the cost of hardbody lures is crazy. There's no way I'll pay $25 plus for a lure that I might lose on the first cast, so plastics is the way for me.
    Cheers

bbb,

i hear you mate but i have used plenty of hb's for barra but still have not got one, this is 1 of the reasons why i will give the sp's a good going over & maybe my first big barra will come along. just got the new squidgies (pro range) boof frog 105mm & 8/0 gamakatsu worm g-mag hooks, so just maybe.

ron.

Thanks Ron. Let us know how you go mate.
    Cheers