Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reels - Outta My League

Re: Reels - Outta My League

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    How do you mean Brian ??? ....... Traditionalist Vs Elitism?
    I just feel that an overhead is better designed for high power pump & wind !.......

Chris
    nah, nothing to with those mate, more so a lot of fishos look on with suspicion at the top end gear or the flash bling.
    me, Im a bling lover, doesnt make me a better fisho, cause 95% of that is your approach to the sport, not your gear, but I do luuuuurve the shiny stuff

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    How do you mean Brian ??? ....... Traditionalist Vs Elitism?
    I just feel that an overhead is better designed for high power pump & wind !.......

Chris
    I would have to agree with NAGG.
    A overhead works with line rolling directly of the spool creating less stress on components and in a simple way.Or should I say more reliable .
    Watching a spinning reel work hard makes you think how simple a OH looks and works..If all that makes sense..

Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    I would have to agree with NAGG.
    A overhead works with line rolling directly of the spool creating less stress on components and in a simple way.Or should I say more reliable .
    Watching a spinning reel work hard makes you think how simple a OH looks and works..If all that makes sense..
    .....yup.......

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    nah, nothing to with those mate, more so a lot of fishos look on with suspicion at the top end gear or the flash bling.
    me, Im a bling lover, doesnt make me a better fisho, cause 95% of that is your approach to the sport, not your gear, but I do luuuuurve the shiny stuff
    Yeh .... I guess so ( I never thought of it that way ......... I just see it as normal practice)
    I actually feel the same way when it comes to fishing for barra! ...... The domain of the baitcaster! ....... Spin gear hmmm ( even though I know that there are spin reels today that are more than capable)

Chris

Ps ..... I'm glad you are a bling lover! ....... Men like accessory sports.... & fishing is an Accessory Sport
    Last edited by NAGG; 24-05-2008 at 08:53 PM.

NAGG wrote:
    Yeh .... I guess so

Do a simple test,get a graphite spinner and some strong line on the spool.
    Put it on a rod and then tie the end off the line on something solid.
    Do the drag up fairly tight and start walking away while increasing the drag and watch the reel stem twist and body pull forward.
    You should notice the rotor pulls to one side and the line roller getting close to touching the spool.
    A alloy reel shows this less but you still get to see what stress a spinning reel has to go through.
    Even though as you said..some reels are designed to handle this on a regular basis.
    A overhead has only the rod seat to worry about .
    I myself don't use overheads any more so i need to find those good spinners.

Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    NAGG wrote:
    Yeh .... I guess so

Do a simple test,get a graphite spinner and some strong line on the spool.
    Put it on a rod and then tie the end off the line on something solid.
    Do the drag up fairly tight and start walking away while increasing the drag and watch the reel stem twist and body pull forward.
    You should notice the rotor pulls to one side and the line roller getting close to touching the spool.
    A alloy reel shows this less but you still get to see what stress a spinning reel has to go through.
    Even though as you said..some reels are designed to handle this on a regular basis.
    A overhead has only the rod seat to worry about .
    I myself don't use overheads any more so i need to find those good spinners.
    Oh .... I've watched it ( spin reels on Sailfish!) ........ I've thought the bail arm would break during a run/tail walk!

Nagg

The only reels I've ever had fail on me have been spinning reels. I've had bale arms fly off, handles snap and numerous complete meltdowns. I'm an overhead man through and through but that said, I've never spent more than $150 on one and only had one fail.

I've got two ambassadeur 7000's that pulled all the big shovellies and noahs I was reporting when I first came to the site as the Verminator These are in no way "top shelf" reels but have landed shark to 10ft with only 25lb line.............admitted, the fight may have lasted longer than an hour but I just don't understand how other folk get let down by reels costing 5 times as much? Are they "forcing" the fish or what?

I've been pulled around the pin from crusoe to slipping sands and back again, in a stessl edgetrekker for over an hour, armed only with a 12ft beach rod and Abu 7000 and 22lb line. The whaler on the end went a good 10ft and was hooked from the beach at crusoe. After that fight the reel again chucked a yellow tail pike over 100 metres showing no ill effect from the previous tussle and hooked onto a manta that again gave me a similar fight. This was the one occasion (after) when I had the reel serviced in 20yrs.

These very same reels are pushing 20 yr old and have only been serviced once. They've pulled 100lb conger eels out of wrecks in the English channel and 150lb skate from Orkney with no ill effects, so how come so many folk destroy their gear? It surely can't be the fish doing the destroying but the way the fish is fought, or have I just been lucky?

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Funny you should say that Kev,

A mate of mine recently did a charter in egypt chasing nile perch. They were catching and landing 80+ kg fish with Abu 7000's with 30lb mono. he reckoned they do that on a daily basis. He said the charter mob was 'not the flashest' and reckoned the reels rarely get serviced...they still did the job. Good solid reels.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Funny you should say that Kev,

A mate of mine recently did a charter in egypt chasing nile perch. They were catching and landing 80+ kg fish with Abu 7000's with 30lb mono. he reckoned they do that on a daily basis. He said the charter mob was 'not the flashest' and reckoned the reels rarely get serviced...they still did the job. Good solid reels.

Steve
    No doubt that ABUs in the 7000 & 10000 sizes are good solid reels ........ Great rockfishing reels! But having said that , I rejoiced the day that I bought my Calcutta 700 ....... What a difference ( smoothness , weight & drag)!
    At that point ..... I bought a Calcutta 400 to replace my ABU 5000
    From then on ....... Sionara ABUs!
    Also ..... When ABUs started to go higher tech ...... with their smaller 2 speed models .... I found that they suffered badly from internal corrosion

Nagg

I'll agree with you on the ABU's Nagg, just from personal experience.

I had a millionaire 3H when I was a kid, and it ran like a trooper for years. Then got a UC5600C and was never happy with it. I had it serviced all the time, but it just didn't seem to be a good caster. Now I have a CVZ that I got secondhand from flea-bay, and it is as smooth as silk.

The ABU is in the glovebox of the car at the moment I think, and I will never buy another ABU, based on the performance of that reel alone.

This is of course, just my humble opinion from what I have used.

I'm with you both there. I also have a 5000, 5600 and 6000. I've had to put Erskine washers in all of them. One of the 6000's had only been out twice and couldn't even hold a 10kilo cobe fully tightened. The 7000's though, and the 9000's are an entirely different real.............I'm assuming because mine came out of Sweden and not Asia.

This guy has 70 of them

http://www.realsreels.com/reels/ambassadeur/default.htm

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

I am fascinated as to why reel manufacturers see the need to have so many ranges.........some of the manufacturers have 8 to 12 different reel models with a range of sizes with in those ranges.
    split that across 6 or 8 major manufacturers and you have hindreds of models of reel........& thats just spin reels.

I cant for the life of me see why there needs to be so much breadth of choice.
    or is it just to confuse us..... perhaps they offer one model to one chain retalier and another to a different supplier so people cant price shop a product.

regardless of quality regardless of size i cant see why more that 5 maybe 6 models would be required in a variety of sizes.

now back to the qulaity thing.
    lets face it the vast majority of fisher folk never hook anything much bigger than a decent snapper...... yeh you blokes can goo on about you meter pluss this of your offshore that..... but you are a minority.
    If the average bloke buys a half decent "meduim size reel" he is most unlikley to blow it up. If he buys an alvey hsi arm tendons will give out first .
    Yeh anybody can blow um a piddling little cheapy... but what do you expect.

now back to those top end reels.
    I was in that place with no name visiting my old mate there & he had ome of those $1000 shimano things in for a client.
    Yeh in deed it was a beautifull thing, bearings everywhere and built solid as.
    Could I ever afford one........forget it......I could get a good used boat for that price particularly once i put it on a "decent rod" and spooled it up with some line.

Would I buy one if I had lots of money........ probly not.

Do desire one....... not even that........ but I am sure there are those here who are consumed with lust after one........and quite reasonably so.

It all depends on what flaots your boat......& big expensive fishing gear doesnt float mine........

cheers

ITS AS SIMPLE AS THIS
    if you where starting out you wouldn`t go and spend $5000 for several different outits but if your a fanatic fisherman you would have updated your gear several times and after a few years would own top quality gear .

i started out with a jarvis walker rod and reel 25 years ago it cost me $14.95 now i own stella`s , tiagra`s accurates etc etc if i calculated the cost of all my gear i`d probably pass out

As i progressed through my fishing life and gained knowledge ( not that i have much ) i updated my gear when i could afford it

Ive worked bloody hard so why not buy a bit of decent gear along the way im not spending it at the pub or at the pockies i do what i do and that is fish

a bit like a car really when you first get your licence you buy a cheapie what you can afford to learn in and when you can afford it you buy a newer one

MONOSTRETCHO

Its not how good your reels, rods and what they happend to cost, it reverts down to techniques and the way you play your catch.
    I seen blokes catch decent fish on crap gear if you no what your doing, yes if you can afford the top line stuff it does make life easier to a degree, but then again i've seen numberous blokes these days with badge plastered shirts, cool sunnies, boats that look like billboard and sparkling flash gear, and couldnt catch a cold.
    You dont have to be impressive and look like a star to catch a fish.
    Its all about holding your mouth right.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Its not how good your reels, rods and what they happend to cost, it reverts down to techniques and the way you play your catch.
    I seen blokes catch decent fish on crap gear if you no what your doing, yes if you can afford the top line stuff it does make life easier to a degree, but then again i've seen numberous blokes these days with badge plastered shirts, cool sunnies, boats that look like billboard and sparkling flash gear, and couldnt catch a cold.
    You dont have to be impressive and look like a star to catch a fish.
    Its all about holding your mouth right.
    regards
    Keep me out of it ! ....... Remember Fishing is an accessory sport "Bling Bling"
    I actually like the cool gear , flash boats etc etc

Nagg

PS .... Like everything else in life ..... Houses , cars , boats , electrical gear ...... food, beer etc etc You spend what you want to spend & feel the need to spend !
    I'd sooner spend $2000 on couple of new barra outfits ...... than $2000 on a new computer
    Last edited by NAGG; 27-05-2008 at 01:56 PM.