Thread: Lake Gregory Bass Fire

Lake Gregory Bass Fire

Went out for a session this morning. Very slow for the first hour fishing spinnerbaits. Changed to a local made blade lure for nothing and then I don't know if it my changing retrieve styles or the fish just switching on but letting the blade sink to the bottom and short, erratic, stabbing retrieve saw the lure crushed by a big fish that peeled a lot of 6lb braid on the first attempt.

A nice 47cm in the livewell and the lure goes back out and is creamed again...... 45cm on the same blade. We kept drifting with the wind through the moddle of the lake and I quickly had 4 to Chris' 0. Having left one of the boxes in the car meant I had the only blade and pretty soon I swapped rods and knocked up another 2 on the Jackall he had tied on. 6-0 and Chris is getting cranky.

We swapped rods back and Chris tied on a T-tail plastic and was straight into fish. They were hitting it on the drop, following it up to the surface and hitting it with a rod length of line out and if they didn't hook up they kept coming back for more until they did. To the point where I dropped a fish after having it on for twenty seconds and while cursing the lure was hit again on the drop.

We kept our biggest 2 each to weigh and release at the end of the day. My two were 1.78kg and 1.58kg for 3.36kg. Wish I had that a few weeks ago for the electric. After weighing the fish we noticed the bigger fish had a tail hanging out his gob. we gently pulled it out with pliers and it was a bony bream about a third as long a it was.

Awesome day and I'll be back there in the morning for the follow up.

Josh

Re: Lake Gregory Bass Fire

Handsome fish there Josh ..... well done!

Nagg

Gee, they're greedy things.....had that fish down it's gut and still grabbed a lure.
    Good fishing mate

Good job, great fish aren't they. Where is Lake Gregory and r they stocked or wild fish?

nice fish and photos cheers bdowdy..brett

Gregory is a tiny lake about 25km out of Bundaberg also known as Isis Balancing Storage and is stocked by the local sportfishing club.

Just got back from round 2. I hit the water earlier today by myself this time and tried to see if there was any surface bite going with a snazzy new buzzbait that got here from the States yesterday but after 10 minutes I gave up and went back to yesterdays technique with instant results.

1, 2 and 3 came quick but without the size of yesterday. 4,5,6 and 7 came on the next drift and then as I was nearing the big weed bed in the centre I hooked a better fish and filled the livewell and popped him in. Next cast was hit on the drop in the same spot for an identical fish which also hit the livewell. Cast 3, thid fish, but a little smaller. Cast 4, hook up and fight the fish for about 10 seconds and drop it only to have another grab it a second later. Not bad to hook 5 fish in 4 casts.

After that there were about 5 more fish, some in the high thirties and then at about 8.30 it all stopped. Not another hit for an hour until I left.

The two fish in the well went 44cm each and could have been twins. It's going to be tough to try and tear myself away from the Bass to try and chase Barra up at Monduran this week.

Josh

Nice fish Josh. Think of it as a warm up for the barra!!!

Steve

There great fish mate i travell up there every once and awile i love the place.
    Might see you there one day soon i will be heading up there in the next 3 weeks
    cheers BK