Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Perils of fishing Monduran alone Part 2

Re: Perils of fishing Monduran alone Part 2

Awesome fish Steve!! A fish like that, needs a great capture tale to accompany it.
    Cheers Kim.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'

Thanks again fellas,

Roo....I dont know, you have to turn everything into a stiffy joke!!!.....great minds think alike.....you obviously read the boating thread with old mate wanting to know who had a horn in their boat!!!....i couldnt help myself there

Trev, Yeah I know about those fish...as per phone call

navi, Thanks mate, I am seriously thinking of being sick one of those days. The fish was as wide as the mat!!

Kim, thanks for that, will you sort out Roo...he has a one tracked mind revolving around 'boney breams'..

matt, got your PM..back at ya

Tiges, I reckon I might keep the electic the way it is....when its broken i catch fish!!

Thanks again everyone Steve

AAAAhhhhhh! Straight to the Pool Room Steve.....That is unbelievable what ever u do leave the Leccie as it is.... Mate that is Father of Pig (BR65 Brian's Avatar)...I hope u sprayed an X on the water so I can find it.....Now what would have made all of this perfect is catching the said Pig on Debs spinning outfit......AAAAAhhhhhh! the Serenity........Roll on the Boneys......QUEENSLANDER........Keep up the good work Champion both work and play.......Love it, Cheers Whitto PS Foxieeeee your back, the monkey has left the room good job John
    Last edited by Whitto; 16-05-2008 at 03:15 PM.

Steve,
    I have been trying to keep him under control for the last 15 years and given up. He's just a deviate.
    I did feel a little coy at the tackle shop last week, asking if they had any stiffys. (I made sure Roo was out of ear shot before asking.) I was keen to see what all the fuss was about.
    Congrats again, fantastic fish!!
    Cheers Kim.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'

Mega Fish, Steve B!! Great Work! That place holds some deep dark secrerts!!
    On the lure topic, there is a similarity in many forms of lure fishing that I refer to as "Concept Fishing". I noticed a while back, just before you landed the other giant 125 cm barra that you mentioned learning about a new way to work lures. You now seem to have adopted a new lure brand which allows you to do this with success.
    I see Eric G just recently mentioned some finer details about tuning lures to suit and in this example lies a vital clue to getting the 'concept' to work for many other lure styles that can be twitched to tempt the same fish.
    I do not know of any lures on the shelf of any tackle store that do not need to be 'tuned' or 'altered' in order to turn them into better fish catching devices.
    Add angler skill into the equation and the results of 'concept fishing' rather than individual lure brand choice can be astounding.
    Eg,
    Paddletail soft plastics like , Storm, Tsunami, Squidgy, Berkley and so on can attain awesome results when tuned, balanced and brought to life by anglers.
    Some top name brand lure types don't make it to my 'go to' barra tackle box quite simply as there are often many similar lure types that will bring the same or better results.
    Food for thought for future luring. Think of concept, rather than lure brand.
    Cheers, I can't wait to see your next XOS barra.
    Johnny M

mate, what can I say that hasnt allready been said???

Horse, barrell, fridge, pig, pony, slapper, what the hell are we going to call that thing???? Have a go at the stomach in the last pic!

Awesome fish in some tight country by the sounds of it, solo to boot makes it all the more meritous capture, specially with the cactus leccy. Answers TT's question on "why barra" I reckon, that fish is why!
    For a bloke who was haveing a quiet summer, youve been fireing on all eight cylinders lately.
    What do you estimate weight on that hippo Steve??

Ya know that now Ive gotta go and buy a boney or two, just in case, for the next trip

cheers
    brian (plotting the next trip as we speak lol)

Johnny,

Thanks for further elaboration on something I have really concentrated on since fishing with Jas some weeks back. I have spent some quality time with various 'go to' lures changing trebble dynamics and studying retrieves, actions and general techniques working lures.

Previously I have concentrated efforts on locating fish and fish holding essential requirements, successfully to I believe. however I have neglected to analyse and refine the art of presenting the lure. I think this addition has lifted my game another level., plenty more to go!!... I am yet to concentrate on plastics....but it will happen this year....one thing at a time!!!! I can dead set attribute this new mental and technical approach to spending quality fishing time, with the likes of Jas and Eric. I have added my own personal touches and learnings to the mix successfully. Previous local experience has helped equally as much....As you would well know fishing your local.

Thanks again. Your advice and knowledge is always appreciated by myself, and I would hazzard to guess, most other fishos on here appreciate it too.

Cheers steve

Whitto, That pool room is starting to get a gallery!!! Cant wait to see it over a few beers!! Thanks mate. I better get the leccy fixed, It nearly threw me out of the boat a few times!!!

I have added another couple of pics that that Eric and Deb sent me.

Just two words Steve 'Holy Sh*t' Great stuff mate. I might have to take a couple of days off and come up.

Brad, anytime!!! Just let me know! I was going to email the pics to you seperately.

Brian, I was wondering where you were
    Quote "have a go at the stomach in the last pic" ...I have been trying to lose weight!!!! ...oh the fish. I reckon 40kg. A few blokes who are respected fishermen reckon about the same....I would welcome any opinions or estimates. It definatly felt heavier than the 125cm. You better get up here before the weather turns bad....apparently

cheers steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Brad, anytime!!! Just let me know! I was going to email the pics to you seperately.

Brian, I was wondering where you were
    Quote "have a go at the stomach in the last pic" ...I have been trying to lose weight!!!! ...oh the fish. I reckon 40kg. A few blokes who are respected fishermen reckon about the same....I would welcome any opinions or estimates. It definatly felt heavier than the 125cm. You better get up here before the weather turns bad....apparently

cheers steve
    work work work mate, all very well and good for you blokes that live nice and close and can just wander out and smack ponies at will , apparently I need the coin to pay the house bills, over rated IMO

The later pics are crackers, show the bulk of the fish a lot more (love that one of you standing side ways, how do you do that and not fall over )

like I said mate plotting, plotting, plotting. Fingers crossed for a trip on the q's birthday week end, should be cold, windy, and cold (sorry navi)
    will be an interesting winter I reckon.....

Geez you're going alright flying solo Steve.....Foxie mightn't ever get a guernsey on your rig again

There are not enough superlatives in the dictionary to describe that fish....it is of biblical proportions. Congratulations again mate....your season is just going from strength to strength. I cannot wait to get up there in winter in the new rig when it arrives.

Cheers
    Paul

Paul, yeah, I am glad there has been people around to take pics. No one would beleive me otherwise!!! Thanks mate...New rig...what r u getting???

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    ..New rig...what r u getting???
    Hey Steve

Just had a Ranger 188VX built for me in the States and it's on a ship to Oz now. Should arrive in Sydney around 11 June. Can't wait to get it up here and onto a barra impoundment. Will try and get it up to Mondy with Ben, Navi and crew around July or August, so hopefully will catch up with ya for a couple of cool treats around then.....Foxie's shout of course

Just sold my offshore rig to help fund the purchase and I only live two blocks from the water. Crazy huh A severe case of IBD.

Cheers
    Paul

Oooooh paul that sounds good!!! It will look good screaming up the dam.......with me in the passenger seat!!

No worries at all Steve....you can show me how you pull all those horses out of the OK Corral

Might need some driving lessons from Jas or Les though, or invest in a good helmet

Cheers
    Paul