Thread: braid in freshwater

braid in freshwater

gidday all,
    just been thinking about how long ive had the braid on the curado, turns out nearly a year..how often should you replace braid that has only been in fresh water..???? i guess the salt water would affect it to some extent ..how long till it looses its strength just fishing fresh.. ???

Re: braid in freshwater

Mate I've got braid that I still use regularly in salt and fresh that's over nine years old.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Mate I've got braid that I still use regularly in salt and fresh that's over nine years old.
    thanks banshee, i will leave it on for a while yet then...knot strengh seems fine.

Hi Deano68,
    If the line is starting to get a fury look to it you may consider replacing it as knot strength will weaken .
    Cheers
    Jesper

deanno, I just reversed the braid around on my reels this season, get two bites at the apple.
    Thats it though, next stop is a re-spool, couldnt live with my self if I lost a big girl due to worn/tired braid
    cheers
    brian

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    deanno, I just reversed the braid around on my reels this season, get two bites at the apple.
    Thats it though, next stop is a re-spool, couldnt live with my self if I lost a big girl due to worn/tired braid
    cheers
    brian
    good thinkin brian having it wraped around a tree a few times would have to wear it a bit..think steve might have to reverse his after that tussle with that big mare...

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    good thinkin brian having it wraped around a tree a few times would have to wear it a bit..think steve might have to reverse his after that tussle with that big mare...
    Ha Ha ha Deano , The line on that reel was Nitlon PE and it is roughtly 2yrs old. I will be changing it this winter. I usually do what Brian does and reverse it each year, or change it if it gets fury or damaged. Problem is...I actually like the braid as it gets further worn in, loses its colour becomes more supple and casts better. Like banshee said, if it isnt damaged...who knows how long......5-10yrs??
    Steve

Yep same as above, reverse it whenever it starts to look a little furry.. only problem is with fire line you gota cast until its supple again because its basically brand new braid

Cheers
    Brandon...

A number of my reels have bionic braid over 5 years old.

It's lost the bright pink colour but I haven't had problems with unexplained losses.

Luc