Thread: fishing yabba creek

fishing yabba creek

hi guys , going up to island reach camping ground in a couple of weeks just after a bit of a run down of what i could expect to try & catch on yabba creek .have never even tried fresh water fishing but i thought while where there give it a try might even get converted .
    thanks in advance
    shubeej

Re: fishing yabba creek

try unweighted shrimp

I was there a few weeks back - its a lovely spot. Not a real lot of bank area to fish. A lot of the bank is lined with long grass. There would be eels and tortoises. I had an unconfirmed report that it had been stocked with bass. One of the other campers threw a lure around. Reckoned he had a follow but no strike. Let us know if any fish are caught - I would be interested.

thanks tazzy & gunna , i reckon i will give bait & lures ago might dig some earth worms from home & take as well, tazzy do you reckon that you could catch shrimp with a trap there ?and gunna could you recomend any particular spot at island reach to book?
    thanks again
    shubeej

Hey mate, been awhile since I was there but we caught a few fish from the creek in front of our camp (un-powered site, wasn't any defined "sites" when we went) There was long grass and a good drop to the creek but I was able to get down a section to grab the below stonker Silver Pearch the misses caught on a live shrimp under a float!! Also watched a guy drop a decent yellow belly on a purple poltergeist lure down near the little creek mouth. I managed a tiny toga on an unweighted plastic on another day also One thing I love about this place other than how close it is to Broumba is that you can camp with your dog!!

We were there around Christmas (2 years ago) so not sure how you would go in winter. There should be bass in the system (due to overflow) and I was told that there is also a few Mary River cod lurking around in the creek.

Little toga (he swam off without a problem

Sliver Pearch (I need to teach her how to hold a fish for a pic, would have been close to 6lb, check out how thick it is!!!!).

Our Vista

There is a little creek that enters yabba creek to the right of the above shot that should hold as many shrimp as you need for a fish too This corner of the creek is VERY deep and that dead tree is in a perfect spot

Let me know how you go up there when you get back, would love to know if anything has changed since I was last there.

Cheers
    Brandon...
    Last edited by BrandonH; 17-05-2008 at 10:36 PM.

thanks brandon , thanks a lot for the feedback & pics ,got the blood pumpin would be awsome to catch a silver perch that size ,how did you catch the shrimp ?
    thanks shubeej

Shubeej,

I was using 2 home made shrimp pot to do the trick, but those rectangular pots with the small entry will work well As far as bait goes just about anything will work, I was using 2 pieces of bread and a secret extra added that I don't want to post here If you wish to know what I use send me a PM.

Make sure if your leaving your traps in during the day that you empty the fish out before night I caught heaps of rainbow fish and other small natives during the day. When I checked the pots after the first night I was nearly sick Every fish that was in the trap was dead or nearly dead thanks to the Marauding shrimp that came during the night.

Cheers
    Brandon...