Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Barramundi?

Why Barramundi?

Ok so we seen the bench mark post, we seen the C&R post,we seen the what lure, line, reel ,rod etc post and we seen which lake is the best post but why is it so imortant to you to spend so much on these fish?

What is the memory that keeps you so intent on catching them?

There are blokes who have the missfortune of living so far away but still they come and some miss out and go home none the wiser but still intent on the catching of thse wonderful fish.

Yes we can say gee whiz there are so many post about barra and awoonga,monduran but why?

My answer is this, as a kid living in Tasmania I watch video after video on NT Barra, or Malcom Douglas in the Kimberly and I always dreamed of these fishing experditions, and I became of age and left Tas to come here I heard of these dams producing Barra and it became apparent that I was going to catch them.

My fav memory isnt that of my own capture but that of my daugther I was at mondy last year and it hit me that in my dreams of a kid I was living it but with her by my side my own child leaning back scearming daddy I got one help! seeing her with a leaping barra was something I will always remember, and the size was 100cm but to me it was a simple thing I have passed to her and thats Barramundi fishing my dream has became our reality.

Cheers Nath

Re: Why Barramundi?

Good Thread we are in a great part of the world when you can do that

Scott
    IFISHCQ2

As one of those that are willing to travel thousands of Kms a couple of time a year ..... spending several thousands of dollars ..... Its an easy question to answer
    The Barra its self is such a magnificent looking creature! Those silver to bronze flanks , aerial antics , aggression , size & power ..... just make them the perfect target species ....... combine this with an active form of fishing ( Lurecasting) ...... & you have the best of what sport fishing has to offer IMO

Considering that I have fished from bream to Marlin ....... Barra just do it for me
    Be it those big Impoundment barra or their salt water brethren ....... If they were the only species I could fish for ...... They will do me , just fine!

Cheers

Nagg

the dream gets stronger every time i log on nath. ...first it was love to catch a barra..then to catch a bigger one..then a metre ...so on and so on..now look at the mark..wooaahhh..the dream just keeps on going....

Years ago i learnt to fish, taught by my grandfather to catch bass although we called them perch in those days, thought it was magic.

Then i moved on to trout west of the Blue Mountains after i moved to Sydney to do an apprenticeship. After meeting other fishermen at the local tackle shop i moved on to all the salt water species from bream to marlin as did Nagg.

Just over thirty years ago we moved to Brisbane and i continued to catch bream to marlin and sailfish until just over six years ago, after i lost my wife to a long illness, i took a trip north with some of the chaps from our stocking association (PRFMA). During that trip i was lucky enough to catch barra in both salt and in Peter Faust, the fish i got in Faust was 110cm and a big fat pig.

Well was i stoked, never had i experienced such feeling after catching a fish before, it was incredible, such a magnificient looking animal, the power the will to fight for freedom, bloody incredible.

Since that trip i have travelled North at least twice a year to do battle with the JEWEL IN THE CROWN of the fish species and have witnessed grown men, standing and shaking like a leaf after a big barra has given them the what for, the runs, head shakes, leaps, flared gills, eyes blazing as if to say if you don't let me go i will eat you. Then you have to take a break to change your undies.

OK so now there are Barra, and are there any other fish? What other fish? they are just not the same, let NSW have them, we have the Barra.

AN ABSOLUTE ADDICT WITH ACCUTE I.B.D.

Cheers,
    John.

When you see a bloke like my mate Whitey who has fishes for & caught marlin / yellowfin tuna this year ...... constantly ask , when are we doing our next barra trip ........ You just know that you have something special Specially when he will travel several thousand Kms further to do so!

Nagg

From somewhere else, as a general statement.

It’s been said that barra are second best at everything they do. I admit that they could easily be seen as only that as queenies jump higher, northern mulloway go harder and jacks taste better. What none of those fish are able to do is pull it all together into one package as the barramundi has done. Add to those great qualities of intelligence, cunning and aggression that makes them formidable hunters in their own realm and you have a fish that constantly earns the iconic status that has been bestowed on it across the country.

great thread. keep the stories coming guys because....i have yet to catch a barra. but i know i'll experience it one day!

If you blokes keep this up there wont be standing room in SE QLD.

Just for the other fishermen and women out there that for one reason or another dont get up to the Dams.

I came back from Monduran last week, had the pleasure of photographing Steves fish for him. Didn't do real well ourselves.

When that hapens I still have the bug, so I went to my local patch, hooked and lost a few but landed a few Goldens, Bass and my PB M River Cod a bloody monster.

One day I am going to catch a Murray Cod and some of those S Aus Whiting.

There can still be good fishing at your back door and the challange and the study of how when and where can be fun.

I believe I have been fishing over that Cod for the last 3 years.

There are other holes to try now and it is all fun.

Regards Gordon

For me, My first barra experience was a trip to the NT and was a distinct turning point in my life. To cut a long personals story short, I was getting into a fair bit of trouble at about 20yrs old. These blokes in a country town where I worked had a vacancy and asked if I would like to go. I really hadn't done much fishing at all in my life.....here I was heading to the NT!! It was the trip of a lifetime and I got sorted out with many other things, not just fishing! I have never looked back.

I agree with what Dick quoted as about the most accurate reason for the popularity of barra.

Prior to impoundments, blokes would travel thousands of KM to head FNQ/NT to chase them, they would come home and tell stories..possibly handle the truth a bit carelessly with their stories.....and the iconic legends would evolve from there!

Impoundment barra....... They are accessable!!, anyone and everyone has the chance can catch one (1yr old to 100yrs old), dont have to travel 50miles offshore to get one, dont have to have the biggest boat, or the best gear. They can be caught many many different ways that are both easy and hard for all degrees of angler ability. Barra in impoundments are a real family friendly fish to target OR serious sports fishing enthusiests can have a ball too!!
    It doesn't have to cost a fortune...........................THEN you combine that with the size, fight and general beauty of the creature....thats what hooks most people.

They have the best of all worlds, for all types of anlger. IMHO

cheers steve
    Last edited by Steve B; 15-05-2008 at 03:02 PM.

have been two monduran 2 times and didn't catch a barra caught lot of catamundai i think thats what will keep me coming back for barra.
    They are so hard to prodict and catch when you think the fish has had it final run it will storms off and gets you around somthing.
    Each season i catch the local salt and freshwater barra on different techniques last season it was bream and flathead gear using 6lb braid and casting weedless plastics and surface lures for barra up to 85cm.
    This season it was throwing mad mullets and surface lures on bigger gear for bigger barra.
    I have caught big goldies,bluefin,queenfish nearly every sport fish except billfish and i would rather target big barra then trevally and the like anyday.
    I haven't caught barra out off the well know stocked impourments but have caught them locally out of dams myself and others have stocked and im hooked.
    next summer ill get my first mondy barra i hope

Barrakid,

keep doing what you do down there, then do pretty much the same at Monduran and I reckon you will have your first barra at Mondy in no time at all!!!

Good luck!

I am a lad originally from Melbourne town, and never dreamt of catching northern species, until the wife and i treked around Aus in 2005 and caught all sorts of Fantastic fish species, including wild barra in the Kimberlies and Coroborree billabong. Those awesome moments, fishing in croc infested waters watching leaping barra go crazy, airborne, steam train runs, trying to throw lures, is something that i wont forget, its something that gets inside the blood stream and i still cant get rid of it. The impoundment side of it is so close to that situation and thats why i love it so much. I really like fishing in those humid conditions, where the carpet on the boat is too hot for your feet, brings back great memories of Darwin and norther Aus!!!! Barra are a bonus, a frigging awesome bonus, that i cant seem to not fish for. I have access offshore to fish for pretty much any species i like, and rivers to target all the others, bass on the doorstep, and cod just up the road. But its just Barra, Barra, Barra. Bad case of I.B.D..........i reckon. Great thread.
    Ben

l dont know how to answer this post...! Living next to one of Qld finest impoundments..Awoonga...l kinda have taken things for granted..Now dont get me wrong..l care for it with a passion as others will attest too..Being boatless at the moment lt gives me a better understanding of those that live far away.. IBD..is alive and well in all that that replied to your post Nath..May you all get your "fix" sooner rather than later....And that includes me !

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    l dont know how to answer this post...! Living next to one of Qld finest impoundments..Awoonga...l kinda have taken things for granted..Now dont get me wrong..l care for it with a passion as others will attest too..Being boatless at the moment lt gives me a better understanding of those that live far away.. IBD..is alive and well in all that that replied to your post Nath..May you all get your "fix" sooner rather than later....And that includes me !
    The DRs contracted IBD ........ junkies get that way when they haven't had a fix

When's the new toy due Trev ?

Chris