Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Furuno Waranty

Re: Furuno Waranty

Quote Originally Posted by battler1 View Post
    Good to see John i brought my 620 from Bia's at the Tackle & Tinne show and like i have said before i got it for $1150 then i got the cash back $75 so it cost me $1075 and the Guy's at Bia's were very helpful and new there product's ! John i still havent got anyone to help me paint me house Maybe they don't like working for nothing Funny that .

Joe
    That house paint argument is flawed, Taylors are PAID
    I think you will find that it is there retailers that are putting the pressure on to taylors

Hi

I have found Tri Max to be very knowledgable and helpful on a few occassions. So if I bought overseas, then I would not feel right about getting them to sort out installation type problems, so I would probably buy from them. If I felt that I could install without discussing with them, then maybe I would buy overseas.

It's an interesting discussion.

On a slightly different note, I remember when the Asian economic collapse occured a few years ago - it was reported that the Malaysians all went out and bought Protons for the good of the national economy. Now that is a big sacrifice for the good of the nation. Unlikely that this would ever occur in Australia.

Whichway

Whichway , That is a great point, Particularly The last sentence.
    I think the retail sector in the Australian fishing industry has failed to compete with the world market, Thats a no brainer, But only while our dollar rains over the seppos. I hear it will soon top $1,10.
    I suppose these discussions will fizzle out if our dollar drops,
    But, There are other industries right here that are competing for the turnover , and that is the computer /gizmo people.
    Googal "Static ice" in AU for the cheapest aussie gear you can get.
    All on line electrical gear stores, The PC im typing on right now was purchased from one in Sydney.
    The fishing frac is way behind the rest of the world.
    Here it is to prove a point;staticICE Australia's comprehensive computer hardware and gadget price comparison search engine
    Happy hunting
    Last edited by flybloke; 14-05-2008 at 09:58 PM.

Hi guys,
    Regarding Furuno warranty, The other day I pasted in some text of the email from Furuno USA, Inc. Below is some text of the email I received from Hideyuki Terada, Assistant Manager of Section-2 Asia Oceania Marine Market, Head Office, Japan.
    The Furuno International Marketing Policy is to distribute the products
    through our exclusive distributorship network and this doesn't allow any
    Furuno National Distributor to sell the products outside of their
    territory. As the manufacturer, one of our missions is to do the
    marketing through the appropriate sales channels we have created for many years. We recognize the different price points for the products in
    different market but it always happens due to the different market size,
    situation and distribution mechanism.

The Furuno products marketed within US must not be sold outside of US due to the Furuno International Marketing Policy and Furuno USA's dealership agreement. However, there are so many Internet Sellers including "FishOn" in US. The most of them are NOT Furuno USA's authorized dealers and they don't care about the "agreement". Also, the US law makes it very difficult to control such distributions.

As far as the warranty goes, the Furuno National Distributor, who sold the product, has the warranty responsibility based on the Furuno International Warranty Policy. For instance, when you buy a product imported from US, Furuno USA is responsible for the warranty for that product. J. N. Taylor can support that product on behalf of Furuno USA, not on J. N. Taylor's responsibility. You may contact J. N. Taylor for a warranty repair but J.N. Taylor will need to confirm the actual warranty condition with the Furuno National Distributor, who sold the product, Furuno USA in this case. It may sounds complicated but our policy is to have the Furuno National Distributors be responsible for the products they sold.

Our International Warranty Policy is established due to the nature of our products as many boats equipped with our products sails across the
    countries. However, at the same time, we are not willing that the
    International Warranty Policy drives any inappropriate imports. If this
    trend keeps growing, we may have to study "limited warranty" for the
    products, which are distributed through inappropriate sales channel, like other manufacturers do in other industries.Thanks to those for the tips on $ and comparisons etc.
    I have done some more searching and came up with one US store advertising the GP37 for US$516.00. Some other prices I have found are $526, $527, $535, $550, $556, $560. It takes some time to do the searching though.
    Kind regards,
    Kristine

So what warranty is available for those that bypassed our system and bought of someone who bypassed the US system?The way I see it,in theory,Furuno can wipe their hands of the matter.

Hi Guys,
    Regarding postage from the United States
    The U.S. Postal Service web site at
    http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/ab_012.htm#ep1572941
    gives a table of postage prices for different weights of parcels

The Global Express Guaranteed (210) Price Group 6 is more expensve than the Express Mail International (220) Price Group 3.

Some examples from Express Mail International (220) Price Group 3 are:
    Weight not over 4 lbs > $41.25
    Weight not over 5 lbs > $45.50
    Weight not over 6 lbs > $50.50
    Weight not over 7 lbs > $55.50
    Weight not over 8 lbs > $60.50

Insurance amount not over $100 > No fee
    Insurance amount not over $200 > $1.00
    Insurance amount not over $300 > $2.00
    Insurance amount not over $400 > $3.00
    Insurance amount not over $500 > $3.00
    Insurance amount not over $600 > $5.00
    Insurance amount not over $700 > $6.00

Regards,
    Kristine

Hi banshee,
    Your comment “The way I see it, in theory, Furuno can wipe their hands of the matter” makes this warranty issue a little more interesting.

We are getting more into the legal side of things now. I don’t have enough information and haven’t put the time into thinking this one through.
    I know that I will have full warranty because of the email I received from Furuno USA, Inc.
    I haven’t bought yet but it is getting close.
    For other Aussies buying from unauthorised USA dealers, just ‘hastily thinking’, I think that they would be covered as Furuno knows of this issue but has not (well I do not know for sure) taken out any legal actions against any unauthorised dealers. I think if Furuno didn’t honour a warranty because the product was bought through a non-authorised dealer in the USA, and if it went to court, the Judge would rule in favour of the customer ?????
    The email reads “Also, the US law makes it very difficult to control such distributions.” I’m not sure how correct this is really. The email from headquarters has to be somewhat ‘diplomatic’ for legal reasons. Maybe Furuno has weighed up the consequences of taking legal action against unauthorised dealers, as compared to any bad media coverage that they might experience against themselves. I get a possible clue from the comment “If this trend keeps growing, we may have to study "limited warranty" for the products, which are distributed through inappropriate sales channel, like other manufacturers do in other industries.” I see this as meaning that they are in a difficult position and have weighed up that it would not be in Furuno’s best interests to take any unauthorised dealers to court, or, at this stage, not honour any warranties, even though products are being sold through unauthorised dealers. Then there is the question – how do these unauthorised dealers get these products in the first place, and why hasn’t Furuno taken legal action to stop their products getting into the hands of unauthorised dealers? One US dealer would not sell to me. Perhaps it is an authorised dealer sticking to Furuno's agreement

I don’t want to add too much more as I don’t have the full picture or the facts, and both emails from Furuno were very nice to me. The subject is interesting though. Thanks.

Regards,
    Kristine

Kristine, thanks for posting your replies from both Furuno USA and the headquarters from Japan. It all makes for interesting reading and in my mind some sense is starting to come out of this.

From Furuno USA's reply it looks like they will provide warranty on faulty equipment that has been imported from the USA through whatever dealer? But you may need to return the set to them or at least contact them and they can arrange the local service in Australia. Of course they will still need to get order acceptance from the local repair guys and guarantee payment. If you need to send it back to the USA then there's really no saving as indicated in the example I showed earlier in this thread.

It appears that Furuno Japan and Furuno USA distributor agreements that they sign up with their authorised dealers (in the USA) does not allow the dealers to sell Furuno products outside of the states. However nothing is stopping someone (anyone) from buying in bulk from the authorised US dealers (at very good prices no doubt) and them reselling it via the internet. Of course they will make a very low profit but that's all an internet business needs. This is probably why Furuno are saying these are "non authorised dealers" as they are a third party in the sales process of which Furuno has no control. Since the so-called non authorised dealers have no direct relationship with the manufacturers, Furuno would find it difficult to manage any kind of quality control and you could land up buying remanufactured products or products where the manufacturers warranty has expired. You'll have no recourse on Furuno as they do specify that sales and therefore warranty is handled through their international sales channel. But if you have bought it through an authorised dealer you do not have to worry about that. How do we tell if a dealer is an authorised dealer or not? I do not know but maybe ask Furuno USA? I did and will copy the reply here. To me it looks like Furuno the manufactueres in Japan offer their warranty to their distributors and not to the customer. The customer must therefore deal with the distributor which in most cases is independent from Furuno.

Good luck, let us know how you go with the differential GPS. Just make sure that the Aussie DGPS beacons are on the same frequency as the Yanks. When I was in the navy they were not all the same.
    Last edited by John Martin; 16-05-2008 at 03:29 PM.

I asked Furuno USA if J&H Products in the USA was an authorised Furuno dealer as they have some pretty sharp pricing and they ship to Aus. Here's my reply.

Date: 05.15.08

Hello John,

Thanks for your interest in the Furuno Product Line.

Sorry to say " J & H " Products is not an authorized Furuno USA or Canada dealer.

You can find a listing of authorized Furuno dealers by clicking on the DEALER LOCATOR
    button on the ( furunousa.com ) website.

Thanks again for contacting Furuno USA, Inc. We hope we have been able to answer your question. Please feel free to contact us with further questions in the future.

Kind Regards,

Jeffrie Treece / Furuno USA
    Customer Service & Parts Division
    Customer (John Martin)05/14/2008 09:42 PMDear Furuno,

I would like to purchase some Furuno products but for warranty purposes I want to make sure that I purchase from an authorized Furuno dealer. Please advise if J&H Products Marine Superstore is an authorized dealer of your products.

J&H Products
    200 Twin Ponds Dr
    Okemos, MI 48864.
    Fax: 1-775-667-5242

I look forward to your soonest reply.

Thanks
    John

Hi John,
    The Aussie differential GPS beacons for Queensland (seven beacons altogether) range in transmission frequency from 294.0kHz to 320kHz.
    The GP37 DGPS unit operates in the frequency range of 283.5kHz to 325.0kHz.
    regards,
    Kristine

Sounds to me like Furuno Japan and Furuno USA are both aware of online companies mass selling low priced furuno product to anyone ,anywhere.....but unless they receive too many complaints either over warranty service issues or from disenfranchised authorised dealers than it sounds like the status quo will remain....and why not....ultimately it all comes down to the bottom line these days and the CEO of Furuno Japan no doubt wants to shift as many units as possible,any way possible.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Sounds to me like Furuno Japan and Furuno USA are both aware of online companies mass selling low priced furuno product to anyone ,anywhere.....but unless they receive too many complaints either over warranty service issues or from disenfranchised authorised dealers than it sounds like the status quo will remain....and why not....ultimately it all comes down to the bottom line these days and the CEO of Furuno Japan no doubt wants to shift as many units as possible,any way possible.

Scott
    i totally agree scott and i know from first hand experience that furuno usa honors warranty for units purchased from non furuno usa retailers and i would go as far as saying that they excel in there service to international customers .

i do wonder though if furuno japan are actually asking taylors why they are so exspensive on most of there models .

Sometimes it pays to not ask too many questions, just go with the flow. This seems to be be one of them.!

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    So what warranty is available for those that bypassed our system and bought of someone who bypassed the US system?The way I see it,in theory,Furuno can wipe their hands of the matter.
    Banshee that appears to be the reality. Regardless of the product or the brand name, if you buy something from a non authorised dealer the manufacturer can and probably will refuse all warranty claims. This is where people leave themselves wide open buying "new" gear from places like E-Bay. Most E-Bay resellers are not authorised dealers. The fact that they have access to the products at good prices makes no difference. You cannot expect to buy an ipod on E-bay and expect to the manufacturers warranty. Just ask me. I bought my nephew a well known brand of car audio power amplifier from E-Bay believing that since it was new and the seller was a 'dealer" we'd be okay. The thing was "dead on arrival" and despite many letters to E-bay and the seller I've not got my money back or the amp repaired. Two years later and the dealer has dissappeared and probably trading under another name on E-bay?

Typically warranties are NOT transferrable. The manufacturer or authorised distributor sells the product (provides a wholesale service) to a retailer (dealer). The dealer/retailer sells the product to an end-user (customer) to whom the warranty is passed and in turn honoured by the manufacturer/distributor. If the customer buying it from the dealer/retailer decides to set up business and on-sell the gear without the distributor agreeing (some do as they add an extra level into their distribution channel on the grounds that on-seller does not contravene the distributors agreement with the manufacturer) then all is good. However reading the correspondence that you and others have posted on this forum and others I do not believe that this is the case with Furuno as the online resellers like J&H are not authorised dealers and hence that's where the warranty responsibility stops. I'd like t import a 2nd hand boat from the USA where the owner tells me that the 2 x one year old Suzuki 250's have "balance of warranty". Well guess what.......not here they don't!

Quote Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
    Banshee that appears to be the reality. Regardless of the product or the brand name, if you buy something from a non authorised dealer the manufacturer can and probably will refuse all warranty claims. This is where people leave themselves wide open buying "new" gear from places like E-Bay. Most E-Bay resellers are not authorised dealers. The fact that they have access to the products at good prices makes no difference. You cannot expect to buy an ipod on E-bay and expect to the manufacturers warranty. Just ask me. I bought my nephew a well known brand of car audio power amplifier from E-Bay believing that since it was new and the seller was a 'dealer" we'd be okay. The thing was "dead on arrival" and despite many letters to E-bay and the seller I've not got my money back or the amp repaired. Two years later and the dealer has dissappeared and probably trading under another name on E-bay?

Typically warranties are NOT transferrable. The manufacturer or authorised distributor sells the product (provides a wholesale service) to a retailer (dealer). The dealer/retailer sells the product to an end-user (customer) to whom the warranty is passed and in turn honoured by the manufacturer/distributor. If the customer buying it from the dealer/retailer decides to set up business and on-sell the gear without the distributor agreeing (some do as they add an extra level into their distribution channel on the grounds that on-seller does not contravene the distributors agreement with the manufacturer) then all is good. However reading the correspondence that you and others have posted on this forum and others I do not believe that this is the case with Furuno as the online resellers like J&H are not authorised dealers and hence that's where the warranty responsibility stops. I'd like t import a 2nd hand boat from the USA where the owner tells me that the 2 x one year old Suzuki 250's have "balance of warranty". Well guess what.......not here they don't!
    john , i think you are scare mongering a bit here considering we are discussing furuno in detail . i can absolutely assure you that both furuno and raymarine honour warranty regardless of whether you brought it from a unauthorized dealer .
    this is the difference between buying qaulity gear and some of the lower end stuff like lowrance . furuno and raymarine stand by there product and that is first hand experience

as aside note john you quoted a couple of ebay experiences and i would like to add that you should read the being ripped off thread in electronics , ebay is another world and their crap ways shouldnt be compared to qaulity companies like furuno , it really is chalk and cheese between them .
    Last edited by marco; 16-05-2008 at 09:46 PM.