Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Furuno Waranty

Re: Furuno Waranty

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    No need to thank me for the insults Marco.....it was my pleasure,but sadly it is you my freind who is turning stupidity into a science....of course you'll get your foreign bought product fixed promptly and without hassel.
    and again insults instead of intelligence .

please take the time to actually read what is being talked about in this thread before making anymore insane comments , it is not warranted

Hi guys,
    This came in from the Customer Service & Parts Division of Furuno USA Inc. (furuno@custhelp.com)
    Part of the email reads (my emphasis in bold):
    If you buy the unit in the Furuno USA territory and need to have it serviced ( anywhere in the Furuno World ) - You would still have two choices:
    1) Contact us directly at Furuno USA ( with the Serial-Number ) to request warranty repair service. We will make arrangements with the authorized dealer ( In Australia in this case ) for repairs.
    ( or )
    2) You can contact the local Furuno distributor yourself to request warranty repair service; The dealer would then contact us with the Serial-Number of the unit....for warranty verification & repair authorization.
    In either case - Warranty services are " always " taken care of as quickly as possible.
    Please advise if you have any questions.
    Kind Regards,
    Jeffrie Treece / Furuno USA
    Customer Service & Parts Division

My thoughts:- If the Australian dealer gets cranky because he has to deal with an item not bought through him, then do not worry, he has to deal with his own attitudes. If you do as in point 1 above ie. contact Furuno USA when the unit plays up to request a warranty repair service, then any delays or other problems in warranty repairs/services created because of a cranky dealer’s attitude should be reported to Furuno USA, or also Furuno Electric Company, Japan (info@furuno.co.jp) immediately.
    Thanks ‘disorderly’ for the tip on delivery prices.
    Kristine

Hey Kristine, I'm not sure who you're dealing with in Aus to get your price but I went to the JN Taylor website www.jntaylor.com.au and clicked on the dealer listing/ I called 2 service dealers in Qld and the best price I got was $926.50 Including GST. Neither carried stock but they said it was available withing 24hrs from the JN Taylor guys in Brisbane. I then thought I'd check out the calculations by importing from OS.

The best US price I can find is US$ 600
    Freight $119
    Use a credit card rate of .92 (today St George rate for my c/card)

Landed price for the unit is: $781.52
    Since their is no GST charged on items under $1,000 you save the 10% BUT we need to keep the playing field level as the importers are getting a bit of a serve for being "grredy". The Price of $926.50 that I was quoted included 10% GST so without GST (that's for Kev07)the comparative price is $ $842.27

That's a REAL difference between US prices and Aus prices of $60.75 for this particular item. IMHO, a small price to pay for local service, advice and support. If we all chose to buy OS the local service industry would all go drive trucks on the mines and then you'll be stuck with having no option but to send your equipment to the US. That's another US$119 each way, a few weeks and hopefully no further problems! Also when the exchange rates drops back to the low 80c where it should be then you'll want to buy local but the local bloke will no longer be there! In your case it is far less than 10% saving for an item that costs around $1,000. Surely you can't blame the importers and dealers here in Aus for obeying the law and charging GST?

Strange that there is little difference on Furuno, but on Humminbird the difference is enormous. 797SI $2,100 here, $972 delivered and insured ex USA.

Obviously worth doing it, given that the time it takes for warranty service is likely to be the same whether it's sent here or back to the States if something goes wrong. But to save $60 on the Furuno? Go local!

And my two bits on the international warranty debate: if one is offered, then it is assuredly part of any agency agreement that there will be a method of honoring it. A Customer has the right to assume that, surely. If it is not part of an agrency agreement, it should be, and it is the fault of the parent company, not of the Customer, that it has not; ie. the Customer bought it in good faith.

Obviously there are some peanuts who disagree, but I think that may be more a case of having too much time on their hands, and not enough nouse to come up with a common sense approach.
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
    Hey Kristine, I'm not sure who you're dealing with in Aus to get your price but I went to the JN Taylor website www.jntaylor.com.au and clicked on the dealer listing/ I called 2 service dealers in Qld and the best price I got was $926.50 Including GST. Neither carried stock but they said it was available withing 24hrs from the JN Taylor guys in Brisbane. I then thought I'd check out the calculations by importing from OS.

Freight $119

Since their is no GST charged on items under $1,000 you save the 10% BUT we need to keep the playing field level as the importers are getting a bit of a serve for being "grredy". The Price of $926.50 that I was quoted included 10% GST so without GST (that's for Kev07)the comparative price is $ $842.27

That's a REAL difference between US prices and Aus prices of $60.75 for this particular item. IMHO, a small price to pay for local service, advice and support. If we all chose to buy OS the local service industry would all go drive trucks on the mines and then you'll be stuck with having no option but to send your equipment to the US. That's another US$119 each way, a few weeks and hopefully no further problems! Also when the exchange rates drops back to the low 80c where it should be then you'll want to buy local but the local bloke will no longer be there! In your case it is far less than 10% saving for an item that costs around $1,000. Surely you can't blame the importers and dealers here in Aus for obeying the law and charging GST?
    john, if those prices are correct then i completely agree with you . the difference is what you would expect to be reasonable costs and i would support local for that but for the fcv 620 bias list them at 1299 so your price is cheap indeed .

who quoted that price , if correct i have a mate who would want one

mark

Freight $119

Frieght is not $119USD. It will be closer to $60USD.

10% GST was Johny the monkeys gift to this nation Many years ago not Kev 07.

The difference is not $60.75, does the Govt give you back the 10%GST component??? NO you still pay it out of your pocket.

I agree that some times its not worth shopping OS, but your figures are a little miss leading. I saved $500 AUD on my FCV585 by buying OS. Saving say $200 on a FCV620 may not be worth it.
    Noosacat 3100

Marco, the price I used was not for the Furuno 620 but for the Gp37 that an earlier poster was discussing. As you say, the saving in this case is no worth the effort. I've done the calcs on the 620 with a transom mount transduceras I am pretty keen to get one for my oldman so here goes.

Best price from Fishon Marine
    FCV620 US$760
    525T-PWD US$90
    Freight $85.50 (quoted by Fishon)
    TOTAL US$ 935.50
    Convert to AUD (.92 c/card rate) = $1,016.85 Aussie (legally you should pay GST on this amount)

Bias Boating catalogue price is $1,299 for the same gear (I got quoted $1,200 inclusive of GST from another dealer in Brisbane, the same one who quoted me on the GP37)

So, $1,200 for FCv620 (from local Brissy dealer) less $75 cash back rebate from JN Taylors = buy price right here in Aussie for $1,125

If you add the GST to the imported Fishon price ($1,016.85 + $101.69) there's a saving of $6.46 ($1,125 less $1,118.54) Is my maths just shi**y or have I missed something here?

ozlongboarder, you're right mate. Who cares about GST and if you can save it why not! I saved 10% from the sparky that wired up my new home.....cash is KING and he's probably claming centrelink as well, ripping us all off even further (the Aussie way hey)! By the way, I read the budget speach and Kev07 is certainly not back peddling on all things GST. In fact his government will continue to slugg us 10% and still blame the previous government for imposing the tax!! Gotta luv Kev07!!

Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder View Post
    10% GST was Johny the monkeys gift to this nation Many years ago not Kev 07.

Probably beats the hell out of the 22% Sales tax you were paying before, imposed by some other monkey, huh?

Don't get me wrong, I think ALL pollies are tree dwellers.
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

I saved $500 on a FCV 585, I saved $400 on a Garmin GPS by buying OS. For me those savings were worth it. I will be buying a VHF from the US soon as the saving will be worth it.

You would be mad to buy a FCV620 in the US to save $7, no argument there.

Like all purchases, shop around, do your sums and then make an informed decision. Some times local is better sometimes buying OS is better.

Arguing about GST is irrelevant...its there, deal with it.
    Noosacat 3100

Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder View Post
    I saved $500 on a FCV 585, I saved $400 on a Garmin GPS by buying OS. For me those savings were worth it. I will be buying a VHF from the US soon as the saving will be worth it.

You would be mad to buy a FCV620 in the US to save $7, no argument there.

Like all purchases, shop around, do your sums and then make an informed decision. Some times local is better sometimes buying OS is better.

Arguing about GST is irrelevant...its there, deal with it.
    ozlongboarder I agree, there are savings to be made but sometimes things need to be put into perspective. You made some good savings and as an experienced shopper you'll probably continue to save by shopping around, both locally and OS.

I agree, GST is here and we all have our different ways of dealing with it. I just think it's unfair for Gov to not charge GST on imports but they do for local retail?

Thanks all for the Great input. Particularly Kristine. This was not ment to be a slang match on morals. "The world is a stage"
    Getting back to topic, I think Kristine has provided any sort of true information and seems to have saved me from a lot of work that she has already done.
    Most here kept a good argument. Thanks again.
    Mick

Flybloke, I hope my number crunching helped. After reading posts on not only this website but a few others as well, I was very suprised to see that the savings from USA were not that great when compared to the local prices when shopping around. It will be interesting to see if Kristaine gets a reply from furuno O/S regarding the warranty.

I was very suprised to see that the savings from USA were not that great when compared to the local prices when shopping around. I
    Dont kid yourself ,John...on the cheaper furuno gear ,Taylor marines retail distributors pricing has become more competitive over the last couple of years(wonder why? )....
    However there are still great savings to be made by importing.
    On their more expensive models and on some brands such as Garmin,eagle,lowrance,humminbird and plenty of other electrical gear, the savings can be as much as 50%...which is really quite inexplicable.

scott

Good to see John i brought my 620 from Bia's at the Tackle & Tinne show and like i have said before i got it for $1150 then i got the cash back $75 so it cost me $1075 and the Guy's at Bia's were very helpful and new there product's ! John i still havent got anyone to help me paint me house Maybe they don't like working for nothing Funny that .

Joe

Flybloke, I hope my number crunching helped. After reading posts on not only this website but a few others as well, I was very suprised to see that the savings from USA were not that great when compared to the local prices when shopping around. It will be interesting to see if Kristaine gets a reply from furuno O/S regarding the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Dont kid yourself ,John...on the cheaper furuno gear ,Taylor marines retail distributors pricing has become more competitive over the last couple of years(wonder why? )....

scott
    scott, probably because of the stronger Aussie dollar we've got nowadays. A few years ago the Aussie was worth 50cents US so the prices reflected accordingly?

Hey Battler1, maybe you could save $6.46 if you imported a few Filipino workers to paint your house no medical insurance, pay roll tax, super and you can pay cash