Thread: Unknown Flies?

Unknown Flies?

Hey,

Ive had a look in my fishing box recently and found a couple of flys that ive never used and dont actually know where i got them from or what there for. Im just wondering what these flys are for eg. Salt/Fresh and species [Lengths of fly's: 9.5cm/6cm, They have pretty heavy heads (guessing they sink) and diesent size hooks) Photos attached! (sorry for bad quality)

Thanks!
    Last edited by Gold_Coast_Chaser; 07-05-2008 at 06:57 PM.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

Cheers, Dylan

PB's

Bream: 40cm - Whiting: 41cm - Flathead: 62cm

Re: Unknown Flies?

Dylan , the one on the left looks like a Lefty's deceiver , this is a classic bait fish pattern and pretty commonly used on Pelagic , as well as Barra . I am sure locally on the Goldy Trevas, flathead and Jewies will eat this.
    The other one is hard to see but it looks like a type of woolly bugger, just a bit bigger than the fresh water version , with that big chunk of Marabou on the tail and the wound hackle over the body that fly should have heaps of movement and depending on the size I reckon it would be a great Bream fly.
    Hope that helps

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

I just re- read your post the one on the right would probaly be to big for most bream however Jacks and Trevas would love it , it would have heaps of movement while still, a real in your face presentation .

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

Hey,

Thanks heaps for that flyfisho ,

What type of casting/retrieve do you recommend with this fly??

Im very new to flyfishing but its just another type of lure so i wouldnt mind giving it a go.
    Is it necessary to use a flyfishing rod when using these flys?? or will a normal bream setup work??
    All help appreciated!!
    Last edited by Gold_Coast_Chaser; 07-06-2008 at 07:31 PM.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

Cheers, Dylan

PB's

Bream: 40cm - Whiting: 41cm - Flathead: 62cm

Hi Dylan,

The one on the right definetly looks like a red woolly Bugger, I have not been successfull with the colour red but for freash still water (in my case Rainbow trout) the darker woolly Buggers and traffic cops (Black WB with blue flash) have increased my luck with an intermediate sinking line.

Hope that helps.