Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Rod Lathe - what parts do I need??

Re: DIY Rod Lathe - what parts do I need??

I totally agree stu,i was building rods for 14 yrs and the wilson gear was shit.
    I brought a clemens tackle chuck and 4 step puly system in 1998 and it is still as good now as the day i brought it.
    The only thing left from my wilson lathe is thread tensioner and 3 roller supports
    With the alum roller suports it can wrap a "130" at full noise and not jump off
    Only thing i am looking for now is a higher torque motor.
    Here is some pics of it (just finished rebuilding it today)
    Last edited by RFARREN; 03-06-2008 at 03:28 PM.

i want that chuck!ian

RFARREN

Pretty good set up their mate, like you said you need a real electric motor. Those sewing machine motors are toys and have no torque what so ever. The motor I use is one quarter horse and is small enough to fit in a 2kg butter container. This motor will spin your arm clean off if not careful. From memory it was around $200 but it has full ball bearings and will last for years.

Stu

where did u get it from stu?
    cam u post a pic?

Great thread for those considering investing in a lathe.
    Any opinions on the Renzetti?
    Cheers.

Renzetti are the best of those styles of lathes. They still have their failings and draw backs. Would I pay $1500 for the renzetti, no way in the world? The biggest problem with that style of lathe is the limited use you can get out of them. I don’t mean they wear out fast I mean you are limited to the style of rod, tag pole even outrigger you would need to do. These lathes just aren’t up to the task; they simply weren’t designed to do that work. As a full time rod you will be hit up to do any thing and every thing so your lathe must be designed and built to cope with every thing in mind. For example, I can turn a 2 wt fly rod and then a 7meter 4.5 kg outrigger pole with out touching the lathe at all. My lathe slides up and down while I sit in one spot rather than me chasing the lathe all day long. I hate having to move every thing after binding one guide. Maybe I should team up with some one to build a genuine Australian built lathe, any takers.

Stu

Hi RFARREN
    The Pac Bay lathes no longer use the springs on there rod supports and the system they now use it is almost impossible for a rod to fall out.
    I would have to agree that I don't really like the composite chucks that is why I recommend the Pac Bay lathe with the upgraded machined alloy chuck, headstock and flywheel. Another reason I like the upgraded lathe is it has 2 bearings in the headstock instead of 1 in the composite headstock and the alloy headstock doesn't flex like the composite one when you are sanding and shaping grips.
    You can buy the machined alloy chuck, headstock and flywheel as a kit and it will bolt straight onto any of the Wilson, Alps, American Tackle, Pac Bay (standard) lathes for only $150.
    I know of a number of full time rod builders that pump out 400 plus rods a year with the Pac Bay lathe and have never had to replace anything except the drive belt in years of service.
    I have 2 of them for use myself and use them a lot and I also have a Custom Power Wrap lathe and I consider it the best lathe on the market it is real heavy duty but for most people the Pac Bay lathe will do everything they want them to do.
    I also like the new thread carriage on the Pac Bay lathes they have made a number of improvements on the Pac Bay lathe over the last few years like getting rid of the springs on the rod supports. The Pac Bay lathe has pretty much been beefed up over the last few years the rod supports are now very strong and they use ball bearing on all the rollers another good thing about them is it is very easy to get spare parts and they are not that expensive.
    I use 1 of the Pac Bay lathes with the upgraded chuck to do all of my grip shaping and sanding and I have really given it some abuse and it just keeps on going.
    The chuck and reduction gear box on RFARREN's lathe is almost the same as the Custom Power Wrap. The Custom Power Wrap is made in the USA and uses a Daytona 1/10 HP motor and with that reduction gear box it does have some power. You can also buy the tail stock, tool rest and other accessories so you can set it up like a proper lathe, pretty much like the Renzetti lathe but the rod supports on the Power Wrap are stronger and the whole lathe looks a lot nicer. I still like the Renzetti and think its a great machine and I would own one not a problem.
    Thanks
    Simon
    Last edited by OzRods; 04-06-2008 at 03:47 PM.

i can only comment on the wilson lathe i brought when they first came out about 18 yrs ago,i am not suprised they beefed up some components in them as they were pissweak.
    is the renzetti lathe the same as the clemens tackle rod lathe that they used to sell cause it looks the same

this is probably the best quality commercially marketed lathe that has a realistic price range(renzetti === $$$$$$$$$$$$$)
    www.fujitackle.com.au/lathe.htm
    still cheaper and better of to build ur own as u can make it how u want it imo
    is this like the new pac bay unit?
    Last edited by RFARREN; 04-06-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Nice bit of gear RFARRON, is it still available in Aus?
    Have seen these on the US sites, the frame design looks a bit different though.
    Cheers.

Hi RFARREN
    That's a Custom Power Wrap Lathe. They aren't really that expensive for what you get and they are available in Australia for $1150.00 and they came with a 4 or 18 RPM dryer motor attached.
    IMHO they are the best lathe on the market and I can tell you they sell pretty well at that price.
    Thanks
    Simon
    Last edited by OzRods; 04-06-2008 at 07:27 PM.