Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Rod Lathe - what parts do I need??

Lightbulb DIY Rod Lathe - what parts do I need??

I'm considering building my own rod lathe and would like to know from all you guys and gals that have built one, what parts are required for this project.
    I've seen photo's of custom built lathes on these forums but I need names of parts that I'll need so that I can source them from local hardware shops here.

Any help will be great.

Re: DIY Rod Lathe - what parts do I need??

Hi JLux
    Do you want your Rod Wrapper to be motorized or were you just planing on having a few V Blocks and turning the rod by hand?

cheap way is to use a windscreen wipper motor. With a few V blocks.

or a sewing machine motor complete with foot control

Here's a few pics of my dodgy set up. BBQ motor from Bunnings bout 35 bucks, 100 mm wheel for turning when epoxying. Some small wheels for rollers.

I got a long bolt with a round head and grinded it square to fit into bbq motor hole then wrapped masking tape beside the head to support it in the hole. More tape to hold 100mm wheel then nuts and washers to hold it and loosen off the nut so you can slide the wheel out of the way when binding by hand.

The rollers slide in the ally track to suit the length of rod. Just a bit of 3mm pvc stuff screwed onto bottom of wood and fits under ally track.

It don't look pretty but works.

Now if my blank n stuff turns up I'll be able to use it. It got sent to Austria,,, only problem is I don't live in Austria. (Ya gotta laugh Ozrods eh)

Dave.
    Last edited by dogsbody; 07-05-2008 at 04:46 PM.
    Avast ye matey!

I have a sewing machine motor so was thinking of making it motorised. I've also made some thread tensioners and the base out of metal. I just need to find a chuck and make a pulley system.
    I saw this on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MESE:IT&ih=012 and was wondering what you guys thought of it. I've seen plastic chucks but just dont know whether they're durable enough.
    What are ideal wheels to use for the rollers?

Thanks for all your help so far.

what i did was i got a end cap [pvc] marked it into 1/3 divisoins ,drilled and tapped to suit nylon screws, instant chuck. mount that to your motor . then i gave up and brought a power wrapper. bloody great, but i will build to make a dryer when i find the time cheers ian

Quote Originally Posted by JLux2008 View Post
    I have a sewing machine motor so was thinking of making it motorised. I've also made some thread tensioners and the base out of metal. I just need to find a chuck and make a pulley system.
    I saw this on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MESE:IT&ih=012 and was wondering what you guys thought of it. I've seen plastic chucks but just dont know whether they're durable enough.
    What are ideal wheels to use for the rollers?

Thanks for all your help so far.
    $250-350 for that chuck? you might as well buy your self a proper lather for 200 more.
    Last edited by craftycarp; 10-05-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Hi JLux
    I would have to agree with Crafty about that chuck and headstock you can buy the proper Pac Bay composite headstock, flywheel and chuck for around $110.00 or the Pac Bay machined headstock, flywheel and chuck for around $155.00.
    The flywheel on one of them should be a match with the pulley on most sewing machine motors.
    If you have a sewing machine motor you still need a foot control for around $44.00 and then a rheostat to control the motor speed properly for around $22.00 plus the belt for around $6.00 plus whatever else you want for the base and rod supports ect.
    If you are going to buy that headstock and chuck combo you can buy a complete Pac Bay rod lathe with the machined alloy flywheel, headstock and chuck for $550.00 or the Pac Bay rod lathe with the composite flywheel, headstock or chuck for $525.00
    If you want to just hand turn your rods you can buy the Pac Bay or Flex Coat hand wrapper for $85.00
    Last edited by OzRods; 11-05-2008 at 07:01 PM.

Ozrods,
    where do you find the pacific bay lathe setups for around $500? The only purpose built lathes ive seen in australia are around $800

cheers
    greg

Thanks for all the replies so far.
    Building a rod lathe seems to be a pain in the bum and sourcing out the bits and pieces I need will be time consuming. I'm now considering buying a premade lathe from here.

OzRods, are those Pac Bay lathes for $525.00 available locally? If available locally, that would have to be the cheapest around. The cheapest I've seen so far was for 800bux.
    I've tried hand wrapping and it takes too long! I mean thats why they invented these lathes for right?...so that we don't waste our time hand wrapping?
    I had a look at lathes from the US....all look good but are only 110v....I suppose I can buy a step-down transformer but how trustworthy are these online sites?

I think this has become a bit of a dilemna to me... :-(

Hi Greg and JLux
    Yes that is in Australia and they are 240 volt with a dryer motor attached a spare drive belt and pads for the alloy jaws and they have warranty as well.
    If you are going to get one I would suggest paying the extra $25 and get the upgraded machined alloy flywheel, headstock and chuck for $550.00.
    I really cant say much as I know the owner of Ausfish Steve really doesn't like Spamming and rightly so.
    I should be able to speak freely about them next week.
    If you want to know more you will just have to email me.
    Thanks
    Simon
    simon@ozrods.com.au
    Last edited by OzRods; 14-05-2008 at 03:37 PM.

I built my rod lathe from an old sewing machine.
    Stripped the sewing machine completely then only put back the motor and main shaft, cut the end off the sewing machine frame at the end of the shaft and added a pvc endcap for a chuck. works like a charm.
    Cheers Garryh.

in Port Philip Bay.

I had a pacbay lathe,was marketed by wilson when i brought it
    Worked ok,but i stored at my workplace when i gave away rod making,when i went to get it some retard had dumped the bed section.
    Only problem with pacbay lathe is the roller rod support spring is not real strong,and i mainly made game rods/strokers and binding fast with finnors or aftco rollers was a real problem so i made a solid aluminium set of rollers(will post pic of them)
    The rollers can be brought from Lincoln Sentry (they supply rollers to the glass & aluminium industries)and then simply put "o" rings on them and they are smooth and precise
    I have just made a new bed out of a "hufcor' overhead door track(pic att)
    I am almost finished it and will post a pic of lathe tomorrow
    Last edited by RFARREN; 03-06-2008 at 12:14 AM.

JLux2008

That gear from EBay is in fact a good buy. If you want a good machine then build it from good sturdy gear and it will last for ever. Personally, I don’t like Pac bay and Wilson rod lathes. They are toys and if you want to make series rods from the lathes they are more trouble than what they are worth. I will no doubt get shot down for this, who cares. I have been doing this for years and I have used these lathes with much disgust. Here are some of the issues I have with those styles of lathes. You should never coat with the same machine you bind with, it’s a cleanliness issue. If you get an over run with the thread you simply cant turn the rod backwards with your fingers, just too hard and if it’s a very fine rod then you run the risk of snapping it. The roller supports are a joke, to small and flimsy. Plastic chucks should be outlawed, after weeks of hard work turning game rods one of the fingers snapped clean of the chuck that holds the rod in. There is no mechanism to make the whole set up run more freely; the whole headstock seems to be constantly jammed up when no power is applied.

I built my own lathe which I have had now for over 10 years. It’s put out untold amounts of rods, outriggers, tag poles, unlimited chair rods with not one problem. I have used much the same gear as seen in the EBay pics except set with other mechanisms in place. Many people have the Pac bay and Wilson lathes and have had no problems. My point is though that if given a machine that is set up correctly you simply wouldn’t know yourselves. Not only have I used them but I have also taught many that own them as well. I have seen many struggle to back wind over run thread work, people try to turn the rod at or near the tip only to break the rod, silly but true. I’m not for one minute trying to tell people here not to buy a Pac bay or Wilson lathe, just be informed as to some of the issues you will certainly face with them. You can build a heavy duty lathe for the same money. Ok Im against the wall, bring out the firing squad.

Stu