Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forester XT (04-08) Towing Capacity??

Post Forester XT (04-08) Towing Capacity??

Hey all,

I've spent the day reseraching SUV's that can tow a 5.3m Freedom Escape that I'm looking at going halves in.

After several hours of forums my SUV of choice is the Subaru Forester XT 2.5l turbo.

Problem is I've so far seen three different towing capacities for a braked trailer limit: 1400kg / 1800kg / 2000kg.

The boat / trailer package weighs in at about 1.2 tonnes so I think I'm safe, but you never know what a load of camping gear can add to the total

Is there any Forester owners out there that could take a quick squiz at their service manuals for me?

I'm looking at buying a 2004/05 model in Brizzy, and I gather the towing limit can vary between years / models of the XT.

Thanks
    Last edited by mattyd; 05-05-2008 at 07:45 PM.

Re: Forester XT (04-08) Towing Capacity??

probably wont be much help to you, but my old man ordered the new model xt bout 3weeks ago and gets it in 2 or so weeks, but the towing on the new xt is 1.4t braked.

but looking at redbook and comparing the different year models they vary,

08 has 1.4t
    07 has 1.8t
    06 has 1.8t
    05 has 1.8t
    04has 1.8t
    03 has 1.4t

so yeh guess it depends on the year and what condition the turbo is in as to how well it will tow, but if the boat ony weighs 1.2t you should be fine

good luck with the search
    Cheers Callum

I have a 2006 (XT, modded) and my manual says 1800kg. I have a HD Factory Tow kit (Hayman Reece) and it tows my 469 Seahorse, fully loaded like there wasn't anything behind it. I have heard of some breaking issues with very heavy loads.

PM if you want to put in an offer on my XT

That's great thanks guys. The more I talk to people about the Forester, I realise there's a lot of happy owners out there (and the turbo model seems to be a damned exciting drive ).

I have no doubts now that I'll have plenty of room to spare with the towing capacity.

BJP - I'm getting my finances together and will have something solid in the next 2 weeks, but an 06 model would be perfect. Might be an ideal time for you to upgrade to the 2008 model now!!

MattyD, I had a forrester XT 05 model. I used it to tow a Blue Fin weekender 4.5. Although it did it, it did not like doing it and you really knew it was on there. That was only about 1T

Sold mine in september for the main reason of not towing my boat very well.
    My 05 had a 1400kg limit.

but you are right, they are a hell of a lot of fun. Just be careful as the fun costs a LOT of money in fuel.
    to the point of 17l/100ks when driving like an idiot
    and 20ltrs/100 when towing.

hope that helps.

Cool Re: Forester XT (04-08) Towing Capacity??

Quote Originally Posted by Mtx View Post
    Sold mine in september for the main reason of not towing my boat very well.
    My 05 had a 1400kg limit.
    Crikey! That's thrown a spanner in the works - thanks for your info Mtx

The fact you sold yours for the very reason I'm looking into buying one concerns me somewhat. Interesting too that you say the 05 model has a 1.4t towing capacity (bloody redbook is all over the shop! It says my Vectra can tow 1300 - when the manual says 1100!!). Note sure why the 06 model jumps up to 1.8t capacity?

The petrol consumption on the turbo model is something I've been looking at also. Not sure if $1.60 litre is worth the fun yet

Still - I think I'll take one for a test drive, then make sure the model I choose (05-08) has the right towing capacity that I need.

Make your decision before you test drive it. Simple fact is because they are a lot of fun and it will sway your decision heheheh

What a vehicle states it can tow in a manual is irrelevant really. It is more what the vehicle is capable of towing in comfort.

Mine was well under the 1400 limit but was not comfortable in doing it.

sorry to throw a spanner in the works, I was tossing up if I would post or not but thought it is best to have some info up front, rather than after the fact.

Not all Mtx - you're exactly the sort of person I was hoping to hear from!

I'd be interested to know if you had to use premium U/L fuel (as per Subaru recommendation for the turbo's) and also what 4X4 you're driving since you let go of the Subie.

The standard (non-trubo) model was also a consideration, could save a bit on the fuel bills, but you loose the extra horses (down to 121kw).

Thanks for the input - I might still buy B J P's 2006 XT yet ?!

We have a MY07 XT manual and it has the HD tow bar fitted and it tows my Father inlaws 4.1m top ender and four people no dramas. All XTs have self levelling rear suspension and after 5kms you'd never know the boat was there, it doesn't even affect the way the car rides through bumps once the shocks have pumped up.

The boat would weigh around 750kg + four adults.

Fuel consumption is high all the time, we use $75 of premium and it only goes about 480kms.

And it goes on the beach and through soft sand with the best of them, and it is seriously fast on the black stuff (0-100 in 5.9sec for the MY06-08).

Talking Re: Forester XT (04-08) Towing Capacity??

Well - I've gone for broke...bitten the bullet, and 4 days ago I picked myself up a brand new MY09 Forester XT (TURBO)

I will be getting a h/duty towbar fitted tomorrow. Catch for new players....if you buy a new car, don't expect any after-market towbars being available for 6-18months AFTER the vehicle's been released. Until then you have to go custom factory fitted ($850 at the Subie dealership thanks v.much!!).

The drive is simply sensational. The best handling SUV in it's class - the turbo version is just outstanding. I did a lot of research (2 months) before choosing this SUV and in the end I could not be happier. The drive of the Subaru's fully live up to the hype that surrounds them. Going through turns and around corners at speeds just feels effortless - the thing is glued to the road!

The naturally aspirated versions (non-turbo) get the advantage of incorporating low range in the transmission. Unfortunately, the DOHC turbo engine is too powerful to have low-range, but hopefully won't cause me too many dramas at the ramps!

I love Moreton & Fraser Islands and I hope that when I get the nerve (with my lovely new baby), I will research the rust proofing options and head up for a few long weekend camping trips with the missus. The clearance on the MY09 XT model is 225mm (up from 200mm on previous models). With 17" alloys let down to about 15psi will get me over most boggy spots. The turbo will probably be advantageous here as well

It's towing capacity is 1400kg's - for some reason the older XT's used to go up to 1800kgs? But for my purposes it's ideal. I'll be picking up the 5.3m Freedom Escape (glass) boat on the weekend and seeing how she tows.

Thanks for your input on this amazing vehicle. From one very satisfied owner

be glad you got the turbo.
    I have the 06 X model manual and while is perfectly good for normal driving, light offroad and easy beach work, it sux at towing. using low range 1st gear i have to slip the clutch too much for my liking to pull my boat out at any ramp. I'm towing about 850kg with it and you always know it is there + the 40% extra fuel used. i find 5th gear useless on the highway until above 3000rpm(when towing)......which is about 120kph in 5th....abit quick for towing, but going down to 4th adds another 1000rpm which sees you sitting on close to 3500rpm at 100kph...gurgle gurgle gurgle goes the fuel. the gearing is fine for normal driving but badly matched when a load is on the towball. The Turbo masks this but the fuel bill will make you pale and giddy.
    I still reckon the fun factor would be worth it
    Last edited by Roo; 27-05-2008 at 05:01 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Forester XT (04-08) Towing Capacity??

Cheers Roo - I'll post the results as soon as I can get my hands on the boat!

For any perspective buyers lookin for a nice new SUV - there's a great line-up of the top 5 compact SUV's here:

Subaru Forester versus softroader rivals - drive.com.au

Good result for the MY09 Forester too...

there won't be anyways of beating the excess fuel usage when towing considering boost comes in at 2500 rpm hence making the injectors to run at full duty cycle to keep it running rich. Nissan patrols had a fault with their turbo diesel engines not long ago with pistons melting due to running too lean because of the turbo's comming on to boost with load and coasting and towing trailers which wasn't making the ecu supply extra diesel to compensate. Maybe look at a piggy ecu that can have a fuel map installed with high load coasting characteristics.
    Last edited by Rob29; 27-05-2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typo

This boat was towed back from Melb, its 7.2m and weights about 1600kg with the trailer, seemed to be fine no issues.

2006 XT Forrester 2.5L Turbo

Good on ya Mattyd, gettin the new model, we should be getting ours this wkd, I already got a nth straddy trip planned for july
    Cheers Callum