Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forester XT (04-08) Towing Capacity??

Re: Forester XT (04-08) Towing Capacity??

Quote Originally Posted by mattyd View Post
    Just an update for any interested in towing with a Subaru Forester. I finally got my new MY09 XT up to 1600km's a few weeks back and put the new boat on the back (see avatar).

I would be lying if I said it didn't look a sweet package as I did my premier launch at Scarborough

You can feel it - no surprises there with a 1.2t glass boat on the back! But the turbo provides ample boost at low revs to get it up hills and of course the ramps with ease and confidence.

The only thing I didn't like was reversing the boat into our shed (about an inch either side to play with!) with the manual gearbox on wet grass (after washing the boat). You can smell the clutch burning as you're trying to inch the boat backwards through the narrow gap - the auto's win this hands down. Just a fact of life I guess. I wanted a manual for the sports driving on-road so couldn't be happier.

The fuel consumption goes from about 10 to 13 (ltr's per 100km) so to be expected.

Overall - luvin it!
    Glad to here it going well for you. I have been towing my fathew in laws boat around a few times and for the first few kms you can feel the weight in the back as you go over some bumps, but once the self leveling shocks pump up you wouldn't know its there.

And you are right, the turbo gives HEAPS of torque, they pull harder than a 13 yo boy with a picture mag.

Beach driving is piss easy in the XT, oodles of torque and more than enough clearence to get through the soft stuff, just let your tyres down to 18psi and get a subaextreme bash plate so when you scuff out it just glides over the top.

You will go places on sof sand that LAndcruisers and Patrols get stuck in, but thats mainly because the owners of those big rigs are over compensating for their offroad driving abilities.

But remember, all cars get bogged from time to time, I can dig my XT out of a hole in 3mins, because it is so light and small. I have never seen a fully loaded Cruiser or Patrol do that, 2500-3000kg is hard to move by yourself!

Just an update for any interested in towing with a Subaru Forester. I finally got my new MY09 XT up to 1600km's a few weeks back and put the new boat on the back (see avatar).

I would be lying if I said it didn't look a sweet package as I did my premier launch at Scarborough

You can feel it - no surprises there with a 1.2t glass boat on the back! But the turbo provides ample boost at low revs to get it up hills and of course the ramps with ease and confidence.

The only thing I didn't like was reversing the boat into our shed (about an inch either side to play with!) with the manual gearbox on wet grass (after washing the boat). You can smell the clutch burning as you're trying to inch the boat backwards through the narrow gap - the auto's win this hands down. Just a fact of life I guess. I wanted a manual for the sports driving on-road so couldn't be happier.

The fuel consumption goes from about 10 to 13 (ltr's per 100km) so to be expected.

Overall - luvin it!
    Hi mate, glad to here that you are enjoying the new forester.

Just a thought - but the burning clutch smell might be the hill holder. Are you are trying to reverse the trailer down hill? If you hit the brake pedal while the front of the car is pointing uphill and you are in a gear (even reverse) the hill holder will kick in and the brakes wont release.

I have Seafeaer Viking 5.5, at the moment I tow it with my 2.8d hilux, I don't go anywhere in a hurry but it pulls it up the ramp in low range no problem... The wife drives around in 06 XT so Im considering trying it out with that after yours and others encouraging words about the XT. Not sure what its weight is but it would be close to the same as your boat. What out board do you have on the back? 2 stroke / 4 stroke?

Cheers
    Mat.

Thumbs up Re: Forester XT (04-08) Towing Capacity??

Quote Originally Posted by viking5.5 View Post
    Hi mate, glad to here that you are enjoying the new forester.

Just a thought - but the burning clutch smell might be the hill holder. Are you are trying to reverse the trailer down hill? If you hit the brake pedal while the front of the car is pointing uphill and you are in a gear (even reverse) the hill holder will kick in and the brakes wont release.

I have Seafeaer Viking 5.5, at the moment I tow it with my 2.8d hilux, I don't go anywhere in a hurry but it pulls it up the ramp in low range no problem... The wife drives around in 06 XT so Im considering trying it out with that after yours and others encouraging words about the XT. Not sure what its weight is but it would be close to the same as your boat. What out board do you have on the back? 2 stroke / 4 stroke?

Cheers
    Mat.
    Sorry for the late reply Mat. I think the burning clutch smell was basically a new clutch that hadn't really got any sort of a work out while the Forester was only months old. It was a result of washing the boat (saturating the grass) and then reversing the boat through boggy ground into a v.tight spot in the shed (with ~ 1cm clearance to work with!).

The hill holder auto-brake is fantastic in traffic and hasn't been a problem once when towing the boat. Just takes some getting used to - but never had to use the handbrake once on hill starts yet

I've got a 90HP ETEC (2 stroke) on the back. I think the total package c/- trailer is about 1.2Tonnes.

Have you tried the Viking with the wife's car yet?

Matt

turbo will probably be advantageous here as well

Subarus are in thier element when on sand. Very few cars will match them (clearance aside) when on sand. They eat it up!!!

But the quote I have added may be your down fall.

Always remember "Traction equals momentum, momentum doesn't equal traction" HP is rarely a saviour offroad when it comes to 4x4 ability. Yes we have all got through stuff in cars and 4x4 with speed on entry that we shouldn't have got through. Do it long enough on the wrong obstacle and sooner or later you'll be sorry and get bogged or even worse cause car damage.

Good luck on your purchase. Love the XT's love the subaru's just remember they have thier limmits.

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Check out with subaru the limmitations on lift kits and warranty. Now your a Subie owner. You HAVE to check out ausubaru.com anything you need to know will be answered on these pages concerning subies
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post

Good luck on your purchase. Love the XT's love the subaru's just remember they have thier limmits.

Cheers

Chris
    Mate,

If you havn't been bogged, you havn't been anywhere.

Thing is if you bog a subaru, you can push it out in 30sec flat. If you bog a Cruiser or Patrol, see you in 1/2 an hour, and thats if you have a recovery vehical or winch.

I've been stuck plenty of times now, and everyone watching laughs at you, untill they see my wife get out and push and I am free. then I simple race through at high speed with the turbo at about 3500rpm and literally jump from sand track to sand track and I am through.

They onther thing I noticed is Patrols and cruisers are too slow in the soft sand, they bog down and churn in the low gears using their torque. I find they hold me up all the time. Nothing is more satisfying then sling shotting past in a car that can accelarate from 80-120 as fast as a porshe 911 turbo.

Of course I'd never do those speeds on a beach, but you can litery run rings around other 4x4s