Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forester XT (04-08) Towing Capacity??

Re: Forester XT (04-08) Towing Capacity??

Nice work Cbruh1 - you're not going to be disspointed with it. Plus if you're near Brizzy it's going to be raining all weekend....nice weather for ducks and AWD Foresters You'll enjoy the ride home from the dealership!

Gwarder I had to take a second look at your pic on the Ramp at Scarborough - that's an amazing feat towing that size boat anywhere (let alone all the way from Melbourne!). I'll be putting in at that same ramp the next decent weekend we get. Just shows what a power plant this little beasty is.

Enjoy your new toys

Mate - the new Forrester is a seriously nice car. The older ones were a nice bit of kit too. You will have a ball. I noticed that you intend beach driving. Mate I have done a bit of beach driving - most of it a LR discovery, Defender and old LC. Can I suggest that you take a mate with you, preferably with a bigger truck and a snatch strap. Make sure you take a shovel and even tyre mats. The Subi will be fine on hard sand and even softer sand with a run up, but dont attack really deep sand, particularly if you have to stop or slow down too much...the lack of low range and clearance will get you and you will sit there going no-where.

I may be telling you how to such eggs and dont know if youve had beach experience before, so if so tell me to bugger off, but I hope that helps.

Enjoy!

Cheers

as above.
    my mate that owned my Forrester XT before I did, took it once on the beach.
    ended up spending more time being recovered than he did driving so next time he went, he hired a cruise :0

Cheers for the tips. Due to the weekend rain I didn't get to try towing the boat. Aiming for this coming weekend.

I've never owned a 4x4 but I've done about 10-15 beach camping trips around Moreton Bay with the family using a variety of dedicated 4by's. It's been a while though so always on the lookout for tips from guys who've been there before - esp. with the Forester XT!

With a pretty serious investment like this (42k) you really don't want to be flying blind the first time you want to head up the beach, without knowing what others have experienced with the same vehicle.

I've heard that the plastic sump cover rips off pretty easy the first sign of any clearance problems (at least in the 05/06 models). They sell metal guards as an alternative that you get fitted at the dealership.
    Last edited by mattyd; 02-06-2008 at 04:55 PM.

Mate, I am sure you will have many good times in it and will not look back.

and gee you will have fun making those good times

to all the forester and subaru owners, as a meber of ausfish and working at a subaru dealer i am happy to see so many good reports on the forester, should any of you require anything for your vehicle be it parts or servicing shoot me a pm and i will be happy to look after any ausfish members. cheers lethal

Quote Originally Posted by lethal098 View Post
    to all the forester and subaru owners, as a meber of ausfish and working at a subaru dealer i am happy to see so many good reports on the forester, should any of you require anything for your vehicle be it parts or servicing shoot me a pm and i will be happy to look after any ausfish members. cheers lethal
    Thanks lethal, that may come in handy. My local dealer is a bit funky so I've resorted to going to Ultratune. Had it serviced this morning there, the ongoing complaint that the dealer couldn't get sorted has been miraculously fixed......for now. Apparently the Subi's have a tendancy to gum up the valves and should have an Upper cylinder clean at regular intervals.....going by the amount of Sh!te it spat out this morning, the Ultratune man reckons it maybe hasn't been done before. They've been chasing this problem for the last 30,000ks(its only done 60,000) and have put new coils and leads in it......still ran like a hairy goat if spinning less than 3000rpm.
    Note this is a 2.5ltr Non Turbo model, using the recommended 91 octane fuel. It did improve a bit with 98 when i could get it.
    Seems to be sorted now.

Cheers Roo.

ROO, yeah if they havent used upper engine cleaned then yes they will carbon up the engine fairly quickly,most of this is due to the horizontal opposed engine,(gravity hurts some time), if ever you have any probs especially with on going ones like that drop me a message, i have been with subaru for over ten years both as a mechanic and advisor. hope all is going well now for ya. cheers lethal

Cheers mate, only driven it back to work from the Workshop but so far so good. Its amazing what a bit of experience can do for you. As soon as i'd explained the problem to the bossman at Ultratune this morning, he had an answer straight up......Meanwhile the factory bozo's didn't have a clue, and i know it is mostly because the message gets lost in translation between the person taking your keys at the desk(often not trade trained) and the jobcard getting to the spanner doing it.

Cheers Roo.

P.s. Gravity doesn't suck!!!!! it pulls.....but it doesn't sound as cool

you'll be very happy with a subaru. i,ve had my outback for a while now and never looked back. their a tuff car and quite good offroad too, if your going to be doing some heavy towing you might want to consider getting your whole exhust system changed with extractors (headers) and a wider catback and a hi flow muffler. might cost a $1500 or more but will give you heaps of extra torque which is what you'll need with a heavy load.
    heres some pics of some of us in action

Hi Roo,

Have a look at the Fuel Doctor site. I used it in my previous car for over 120,000kms (it had 40k on it when I bought it) and I reckon it cleaned it up the valves etc and kept them clean. It ran like a dream and was noticeably smoother after I started using the Doctor. It was a 32v Beemer, so that is saying something.

http://www.fueldoctors.com.au/

It would work out considerably cheaper than using 95 or 98 premium (I ran the Beemer on 98 anyway, as it was chipped).

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by YOOT View Post
    We have a MY07 XT manual.
    Fuel consumption is high all the time, we use $75 of premium and it only goes about 480kms.

If you think thats high, Our Holden Adventra LX8 only goes 300-350 klms on a full tank with costs $85-90 to fill.
    We are seriously considering changing to a Forester for this reason. Looking at 03-04 models atm

mattyd - How does yours going towing the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by SummerTrance View Post
    If you think thats high, Our Holden Adventra LX8 only goes 300-350 klms on a full tank with costs $85-90 to fill.
    We are seriously considering changing to a Forester for this reason. Looking at 03-04 models atm

mattyd - How does yours going towing the boat?
    Another catch for new players there SummerTrance. I've found out that while you're 'running in' the new engine on ANY new vehicle, you can't tow anything (or give the turbo a good hiding ) until about you've done about 1600km's.

So I will let you know in a few weeks when I clock up a few more k's (about 550 atm). For now I'm stuck relying on other people to tow the Freedom Escpape (which had it's maiden launch on the long w'end just gone!).

Just an update for any interested in towing with a Subaru Forester. I finally got my new MY09 XT up to 1600km's a few weeks back and put the new boat on the back (see avatar).

I would be lying if I said it didn't look a sweet package as I did my premier launch at Scarborough

You can feel it - no surprises there with a 1.2t glass boat on the back! But the turbo provides ample boost at low revs to get it up hills and of course the ramps with ease and confidence.

The only thing I didn't like was reversing the boat into our shed (about an inch either side to play with!) with the manual gearbox on wet grass (after washing the boat). You can smell the clutch burning as you're trying to inch the boat backwards through the narrow gap - the auto's win this hands down. Just a fact of life I guess. I wanted a manual for the sports driving on-road so couldn't be happier.

The fuel consumption goes from about 10 to 13 (ltr's per 100km) so to be expected.

Overall - luvin it!